Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 05, 2008, 06:15:57 PM
Yes, but only a possibility until JCL says "Yes" to a SECOND BATCH for Hog.

ricky

We have a proposed spec that got more or less voted in. Let's try to get that approved as a solid spec with commitment from REAL buyers and decide on the scale when we get the pricing. AFTER that, we should talk about adding an additional spec for the pork-lovers. :) Personally, with the Italian Spruce, I'd like my guitar Kosher (RW).   :humour:

(Apologies to my Jewish friends)
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Quote from: limnephilidae on December 05, 2008, 06:46:36 PM
We have a proposed spec that got more or less voted in. Let's try to get that approved as a solid spec with commitment from REAL buyers and decide on the scale when we get the pricing.

DITTO......        There is a little word that helps us now.  Simplicity

Yes, let's all be simple.  Oh, wait....

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on December 05, 2008, 06:56:39 PM
Yes, let's all be simple.  Oh, wait....

holly

I'm way ahead on the "simple" tonight. I'm on vacation from this point so I'm sitting on my a$$ watching a movie with the dog and drinking wine from a box. Classy.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Until JCL approves the idea of 2nd batch for Hog b/s...

I won't say much.. :)
Jeffrey

Bluesman67 I don't think you are naive about the pricing.  If you are then I'm guilty as well.   I know that they will want more for the short scale and the Ital. Sp. top....that's a given.  but keep in mind that JCL has enough Ital. sp. right now for 1,000 guitar tops.  He has purchased enough to do 2,000 more.    I'd expect a little bit of a break in price when we are ordering a fair quantity on one special order as opposed to a one-off custom order for 1 person.  This could be the perfect launching pad for marketing a new line of Ital. Spruce Tops on some of the other production guitars. We know he's looking for a good reason to use those things.    If anyone from Larrivee is monitoring this discussion...keep that in mind when you work up your price for us.  I can't believe the up-charge should exceed $100 to $150 for this upgrade alone.  
The short scale is more of an engineering and labor cost factor than it is a "material" upgrade so it's gonna depend largely on how many we order so they can streamline this special build.  Again, I'd expect another $100 or so per guitar for this request.   All other "special things" that we have requested such as pyramid bridges, bone nuts, special inlays,   hmmmmmm add another $100.
So my guess is that we're looking at a guitar per our specs to be about $1,350 to $1,400.
Of course, this is all total guesswork.  I just hope I'm not too far off.  I know there is a price-point at which we will lose buyers.    

Tuffythepug

Quote from: es-335 on December 05, 2008, 07:03:46 PM
Until JCL approves the idea of 2nd batch for Hog b/s...

I won't say much.. :)
:roll

:roll :roll :roll :roll

Too bad JCL didn't offer Maple B/S..  :bgrin:

Welp........ I am off to watch my hockey game..!!
Jeffrey

Tuffy, Danny & others who are more technical than me...

I thought of the bracing inside. Is there a superior bracing material (like Adirondack for instance?) and what's the diff between

Symmetrical... versus Forward Shifted Symmetrical  ===>   If bracing is like the engine of the car, shouldn't we pay attention to this also? Or is that JCL's job?

Enlighten me please. ricky

The up charge for Rosewood is about $150 so you could help out on the cost by choosing Mahogany. Plus we all no "Larrivee knows how to do Mahogany"
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

:cheers
Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 05, 2008, 07:18:04 PM
The up charge for Rosewood is about $150 so you could help out on the cost by chosing Mahogany. Plus we all no "Larrivee knows how to do Mahogany"

:cheers

Jeffrey

Quote from: strawintogold on December 05, 2008, 06:04:28 PM
Can anyone PLEASE explain what 'extra cost' means in real MONEY words? Extra $25? Extra $80? I don't mean to sound short but it's really hard to make any decision with this sort of vague 'extra' floating around. I'm not even asking for a specific, just a ballpark.

No, I don't think anybody can explain what extra cost means on this project....because we haven't gotten any prices from Larrivee.

And don't forget...the forum rules prohibit pricing discussions anyway....when the prices come in they will have to be e-mailed or PMed. Its a silly rule but thats the forum rules...and how we did it last time.

BTW...its getting pretty entertaining to watch everybody bicker about their favorite options....

:nana_guitar
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Ricky
I'd let JCL provide the bracing, probably forward shifted symmetrical as per his usual, so that we end up getting a true Larrivee  sound in the end.  After all, this is why we all love our Larrivees.  We've fallen for the sound, look and feel.    The tonal differences in bracing patterns are small but very real.   I think when it comes to how this guitar is going to sound we should leave it to the one who's name will be on the label.   Just my thoughts.    But you asked for some technical info. as well and I'm not the guy for that. Someone like Jeremy3220 should weigh in on that.  Or others who have expertise in that particular arena.  

by the way... if the upcharge for rosewood is $150 I'd definitely vote for Ital / hog.

Tuffythepug

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 05, 2008, 07:28:12 PM
Ricky
I'd let JCL provide the bracing, probably forward shifted symmetrical as per his usual, so that we end up getting a true Larrivee  sound in the end.  After all, this is why we all love our Larrivees.  We've fallen for the sound, look and feel.    The tonal differences in bracing patterns are small but very real.   I think when it comes to how this guitar is going to sound we should leave it to the one who's name will be on the label.   Just my thoughts.    But you asked for some technical info. as well and I'm not the guy for that. Someone like Jeremy3220 should weigh in on that.  Or others who have expertise in that particular arena.  

by the way... if the upcharge for rosewood is $150 I'd definitely vote for Ital / hog.

Tuffythepug

I agree.. JCL knows the best.. I am not too worried about the bracing stuff.. I just wish the braces are thin....... :)

and Tuffy..  :cheers to you for supportin hog......!!

and regarding the pricing on short scale..

I don't think it'd add so much more $$.. since it's not like using more material...
Jeffrey

Quote from: tuffythepug on December 05, 2008, 07:28:12 PM
Tuffythepug

Tuffy, but there's NO upcharge for rosewood.  :? ricky

Quote from: Dotneck on December 05, 2008, 07:26:26 PM
No, I don't think anybody can explain what extra cost means on this project....because we haven't gotten any prices from Larrivee.

And don't forget...the forum rules prohibit pricing discussions anyway....when the prices come in they will have to be e-mailed or PMed. Its a silly rule but thats the forum rules...and how we did it last time.
snip

If this is the case this time as well, can I please be put on the list to receive the prices/options via email or PM?  Even though I am not now planning on participating, I would like all the facts before I make up my mind with finality.   
Scott

RS-2

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 05, 2008, 07:36:47 PM

It's a possibility that there could be an upcharge for RW...

according to the list price on larrivee.com

OM-03 and OM-03R -> $150 difference..

L-03 and L-03R -> the same thing..

I guess that is something you could ask Jim for us:)
L-05 and L-09 -> more $$ difference than the L-03 and L-03R case..
Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 05, 2008, 07:36:47 PM
Hog is only offered in the 05 and up now. Sapele is what the 03 is made of. And no one wanted Sapele.
                                             So Mahogany and RW have a balance it seems.
               The bracing will be sitka spruce and be placed similar to a 00. Unless JCL has some different thoughts.
 I like the way the 00-09 is braced and as has been stated much earlier a regular scale 12 fret would be a bit louder.
 So it has its trade offs...short or long. I'm not expressing preference and may not be saying this stuff exactly right.
 (But I'm sure I'll be corrected soon) :blush:

But one thing I know as Tuffy said JCL will build it right. No worries mate :thumbsup

Quote from: es-335 on December 05, 2008, 07:53:53 PM
It's a possibility that there could be an upcharge for RW...

according to the list price on larrivee.com

OM-03 and OM-03R -> $150 difference..

L-03 and L-03R -> the same thing..

I guess that is something you could ask Jim for us:)
L-05 and L-09 -> more $$ difference than the L-03 and L-03R case..
It is possible that "the sky is falling"         Good night.

There isn't an upcharge for roswood.  Both rosewood and mahogany both are valued higher than sapele.  The price difference between sapele and rosewood is $150, not sapele and mahogany.

Is there any way price can be discussed on the forum for this project?  Seems more difficult to not do so?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte