5 top guitars if money was no object(or that you would just like to have)

Started by DaveyO, October 13, 2008, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ronmac on December 01, 2008, 06:22:45 AM
Hi Zohn, It was a standard, off-the-rack guitar, as shown in this picture:

Here is a link to the Bourgeois site

http://www.pantheonguitars.com/guitars/guitars_PRO-dbjumbo.htm

...and the commentary for this model

:nice guitar: - wow!! a beauty!! is that tonewood EIR though? doesn't look like it? - have you got a pic of the top as well please? - I don't really know what redwood looks like (besides Justin's terrific sinker). - Sorry, I should've gone to the web site first. I now realize the photo is from the web site, and in fact walnut. Still a "looker" though!!! What are the sound qualities of walnut like?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Zohn,it's not that I have all that much moola,to afford these few gits I am about to get.I've ordered a Braz Bourgeois "DB-Sig" and want two small bodies,in a 000,and OM.Each with different woods.Then that's it!!For a long time!!I do currently have the Larri D-03R,which I like very much-:)

The thing is,I'd sold some audio stuff,I've had for years,along with an extensive LP collection(which apparently were saught after by vinyl fanatics).That allows for the "final four" in gits,with the rest going to home improvements.I'm proud of myself for setting this up,and keeping the little lady happy,in lieu of the pricey gits.......Not an easy task to pull off,but I've played it to perfection  :bgrin:

Btw,I really was quite impressed with the sonic atributes of the 000-18A.Crisp,clean,articulate! and quite powerful.!You may be understating things a little about these models.Yet,who could argue with your choices?All superb!

By the time you read this,I'll have gone for the 000-18A,and I'm leaning towards a Martin OM-28 Marquis Madi,with a tiny custom addition of "bling",in adding a Style 45 Rosette,and Koa binding....BUT for 1200 bucks less I could easily "go" for the gorgeous Bourgeois DB Sig OM...I've played both,and found the Martin a touch warmer and woodier....IMO(which means nothing,btw)the Bourgeois was a touch brighter in tonal balance,as compared to the OM Marquis Madi.

This is just fine with me,but with the characteristics to be had from the 000-18A(which is pretty much set in stone for me,as I cannot see a better hog/small body git,that's really as good,to my tastes)contrasts beautifully with the warmer/woodier Marquis Madi Martin.If not for the specific contrasts of "that" combo,I'd opt for the Bourgeois....Only concern is my Dred Bourgeois will look very similar to the  DB Sig OM,should I go that way.It is still a possibility,but the guys on the D-28 lounge disagree with your take on the "A" series Martins....Of course it is all subjective -:)

Hope this makes some sense-:)

Best

Quote from: magictwanger on December 05, 2008, 11:19:20 PM
Zohn,it's not that I have all that much moola,to afford these few gits I am about to get.I've ordered a Braz Bourgeois "DB-Sig" and want two small bodies,in a 000,and OM.Each with different woods.Then that's it!!For a long time!!I do currently have the Larri D-03R,which I like very much-:)

This is just fine with me,but with the characteristics to be had from the 000-18A(which is pretty much set in stone for me,as I cannot see a better hog/small body git,that's really as good,to my tastes)contrasts beautifully with the warmer/woodier Marquis Madi Martin.If not for the specific contrasts of "that" combo,I'd opt for the Bourgeois....Only concern is my Dred Bourgeois will look very similar to the  DB Sig OM,should I go that way.It is still a possibility,but the guys on the D-28 lounge disagree with your take on the "A" series Martins....Of course it is all subjective -:)

Hope this makes some sense-:)

Best
If you say 000-18A I assume you mean Authentic? (or is it Adi) I have to say that I have not seen an Authentic, less had the chance to play one. My observation is more focused on the "golden era design or hype" in general, and not specific to the "GE"-series. I have played the 000-18GE, as well as stock 18-series vintage models, and my finding is the GE model is as good as I could possibly need, and some sort of sensibility in there too.I certainly would need a truss-rod, my goodness this is 2008!!!!, and surely some designs that came with time are for the better? Based upon that, I couldn't see myself paying the equivalent of $5000 more for the novelty of "hide-glue" and 1 or 2 other subtle additions. After all, that money could see me with a brand new H-13, shipped to Africa, or see me halfway towards an Olson...
I do respect and encourage your view fully, and if you can afford it, by all means - I would even be happy for you if you are!!!! The Martin would undoubtedly be more valuable at re-sale time vs. the Bourgeois though, but I doubt I would ever sell those instruments anyway.
Thanks for your objective view. :donut  Much appreciated!!!  :cheers
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Zohn,I do "so" enjoy your thoughts!!Well,I'm on my way to my music emporium,but I am going to give your insightful thoughts some "real" consideration...I'm going to take a hard look at my choices,and will play a load of gits,before handing over my cash.I believe I am open minded,BUT I really loved the 000-18 "Authentic" when I last played it(amongst others,btw).

My small collection will consist of two "different" sounding beautiful Dreds(two types of Rosewood),and two different small body designs,with opposing wood choices,in a hog and a "third" Rosewood species in the OM.I'll have to leave it there for financial reasons,and the fact that I really don't want to start a museum.That's all I really need...."I Hope"!! :smile:

Zohn,I definitely owe you!!!I've just come back from buying my final two gits,and your thoughts impacted me greatly,after careful consideration,and alot of play......Surprisingly,I did not even get a single Martin,but DID get two gits,that I believe you had listed.I bought "solely" on sound/taste/playability,and never did looks,or mfgr enter into it!

I'll post again later with specifics,but now my wife wants to go out,to dinner. :beer

Thanks again for your insight!

Ok,a follow up to my last post.Also,thanks for the good intentions,and enthusiasm Zohn(or anyone else).....Sometimes being opinionated actually impacts some folks to "look a little deeper",and that is what happened with me.....I'll explain...

I'd decided to go for a total of four gits,when I got back to this wonderful activity,of playing guitar.I'd had a years' worth of lessons awhile ago,but the kids,work,new home,etc, kinda side-tracked me..........Well,I'm back and this time dead serious!!But I really want to keep a lid on the collecting "thing".So,I sold off some overpriced/unreliable audio equipment,and "shebang"!!Here I am,and damn happy!!!

Two months ago,I lucked into a really fine D-03R,after playing quite a few guitars,and deciding to get something I'd want to practice on alot,as well as take pride in. A "beater" was considered,but I felt I'd tire of it,so why not get something really well made and worth the cash outlay."That" guitar would be my Go-to Git,and I'd probably enjoy my practice time more.I sure do!

I knew I'd want a small stable though,so I started to educate myself on great forums like this one.I was very impressed by the good natured,well intentioned folks here.I also played alot of guitars,and "thought" I'd had it down,as to what would "keep me happy", as  opposed to "make me happy".

So,Zohn came along with a distinctively "opinionated" approach,but really well thought out,IMO!...I think I am an open minded person,and take pride in being a good consumer,so last night I really thought hard about... "is this Zohn guy on to something,"with his opinions about some mfgrs being a bit overhyped.Is there better to be had,by carefully considering what appeals to my taste,and can I bypass the industry hype once I get some guitar bling in my hands?I thought I'd had some good,solid feel for my preferrences,but what the heck,I'll really be open minded.Boy,did I have a nice day,today.Which is rare,with the normal stresses of every day things usually.I deserved "this"!!

I went with cash in hand,today,to my preferred music emporium(Mandolin Bros) and played a load of guitars,for the "second" time(there) in three weeks.Including those I'd loved at that time.Those gits that were holding the lead,in my mind...for my money!!I "wanted" to like what I knew were fine instruments,but this " Zohn guy" had gotten to me somehow(in a good way)because I just had this feeling he was past the hype,and had opened me up to being a little more careful in my "final purchase" of two more gits.That being a smart consumer "thing" again....And I realize this is ALL just my own taste,and opinion....Nothing more!

Ok,and sorry for the length here.....I wanted a nice little Hog OM,and a nice Rosewood OM.I've already got the Bourgeois Braz DB Sig Dred on custom order.Too much of a good thing,but that will be "IT",for good!!!...Definitely "poor house" after that -:)...The wife was OK with this,so what the heck....

Wound up(instead of the Martin 000-18 Authentic)with a beautiful Collings OM-1A  Hog.Ohhhh,what a balanced sound,and a beautiful instrument.It really sounded,to me, a good bit richer,and better balanced to the 000-18A.Just to "my way of hearing it"....Adi topped too.

Then,after playing and loving SO many fine Om's(Rosewoods here)I'd thought I was "solid" on either the Bourgeois DB sig,or the Martin Om -28 Marquis Madi.

I still was open to a surprise,especially as to how this "Zohn guy" had opened me up to being a bit more aware of "spending my money to it's best",and today,I was going to buy!!!

Well,on the floor(in a rack) I'd seen this new OM.It was not there three weeks ago."It must be a new addition" I thought.....so what the heck,I owe it to myself to give it a shot!...

I'd just played,and really liked the Martin Om -28 MM,Bourgeois DB sig,Collings OM-2H Adi top,Santa Cruz OM EIR,Goodall Madi/Adi and a few others.....Now..."what is this,on the floor rack"?

"I'll just give it a little play and put it down"...."I think I know what I want anyway"....."I don't even want to look at the headstock to see who makes it,'cause I kinda am set already".....Uh,OH!!!!..."What the heck is "THIS"?????...."HMM,maybe my ten dollar toll to get here,is not going to hurt so badly"!!

"Maybe that Zohn guy is right"!!!...."Nobody else in this store is going to get near this thing,'cause it's coming home with me"!!.."Ok,let's see who makes this,and what kind of wood is this anyway"?...."Hmm,is this Cocobolo,or Zircote"?....."Not that it matters"!..."I've got to have it"!!!

Pricewise it was two hundred dollars more than I was prepared to pay for the Martin(with some small custom shop upgrade,to the Martin),but I'd saved 1400 dollars,by not getting the 000-18 A,"AND" I'd really liked the Collings Hog better anyway....."this is gonna get interesting",I thought.Now how can I hide this for the next hour,and where?...Really!!!...I'm totally serious,as to how this played out.

Hid it!!!Whew.....but some guy found it while I was trying to get the owner's attention,and it looked like his wife was going to pull out her checkbook for him,since she'd announced it was his Birthday gift......."OH NO,I'm a dead man"!!

I found a way to GLOM it back into my possession,while the birthday boy was smitten with a Mcpherson,and headed straight to the shop owner,proclaiming   how much for the "two" gits??...Now I had his attention,big time...heh,heh.

Turned out to be a two day old Huss & Dalton Custom BRAZ OM(unplayed my anyone else except me,and the birthday boy,who was now getting the Mcpherson....."thank God")...It has absolutely the most gorgeous asthetic I could  ever want,but of course,it was it's sound and feel that got me first.GOD,this is a gorgeous OM,and it has a stunning Bearclaw  Sitka Top!!

Betweem "it" and the Collings(another gorgeous sounding git,with stunning/ almost irridescent Tortisoid Body Binding)I'd saved 1400 dollars over what I was prepared to spend for the two Martins(still superb guitars,btw),except that guy "Zohn" had been SO DARN INSISTENT,about being a good consumer and using some common sense,as well as just "thinking" about what you're about to spend your money on....I thought about "that",and can I do better,to my tastes.....

THANKS ZOHN!!!...You've definitely made my weekend....BIG TIME!!  :wave

Quote from: magictwanger on December 06, 2008, 09:04:38 PM
Ok,a follow up to my last post.Also,thanks for the good intentions,and enthusiasm Zohn(or anyone else).....Sometimes being opinionated actually impacts some folks to "look a little deeper",and that is what happened with me.....I'll explain...

Boy,did I have a nice day,today.Which is rare,with the normal stresses of every day things usually.I deserved "this"!!

Wound up with a beautiful Collings OM-1A  Hog.Ohhhh,what a balanced sound,and a beautiful instrument.It really sounded,to me, a good bit richer,and better balanced to the 000-18A.Just to "my way of hearing it"....Adi topped too.

Pricewise it was two hundred dollars more than I was prepared to pay for the Martin(with some small custom shop upgrade,to the Martin),but I'd saved 1400 dollars,by not getting the 000-18 A,"AND" I'd really liked the Collings Hog better anyway....."this is gonna get interesting",I thought.Now how can I hide this for the next hour,and where?...Really!!!...I'm totally serious,as to how this played out.
  Turned out to be a two day old Huss & Dalton Custom BRAZ OM(unplayed my anyone else except me,and the birthday boy,who was now getting the Mcpherson....."thank God")...It has absolutely the most gorgeous asthetic I could  ever want,but of course,it was it's sound and feel that got me first.GOD,this is a gorgeous OM,and it has a stunning Bearclaw  Sitka Top!!

THANKS ZOHN!!!...You've definitely made my weekend....BIG TIME!!  :wave
:nanadance  :nana_guitar :nanadance  :nana_guitar :nanadance  :nana_guitar :nanadance Well my oh my!!! I'm overwhelmed - what can I say?? - other than congratulations for coming out of this shopping spree with 2 marvelous  :bowdown: :bowdown: instruments, and the fact that you chose them on sober instinct.  We all seem to loose sanity when surrounded by different and seemingly heavenly choices, and the fact that you have the money to spend doesn't make it any easier either!! It seems though that sanity prevailed in your case, and you walked away with what you were determined to get!!!
Do you in any terms realize how privileged you are for being able to shop at Mandolin Bros? - count your blessings!!! I guess I would loose all logic and reasoning when surrounded by such a wonderful spread of instruments  :drool: ... Anyway, it seems you are very happy with your purchase, and if I had the least bit of influence on that, then I'm most happy!!! And thank you for the kind words. You made for a pleasant start to my Sunday morning. Please post some pics, and if you wish, drop me a mail at zohngen@absamail.co.za.
Best wishes and lots of blessings
Zohn  :donut

"and the fact that you have the money to spend".....NOT ANYMORE!!! :wave

Quote from: magictwanger on December 07, 2008, 11:11:41 AM
"and the fact that you have the money to spend".....NOT ANYMORE!!! :wave

Nice stable you've put together MagicTwanger. Although with a name like that, I'm surprised there's not a Froggy Bottom..

Seeing the pics will be a treat.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Thanks SO much for the kindly support!.......The "picture thing" may not happen!Solely because I don't like to put my materialistic ego into my postings......This "post" story was meant to be a thank you,of sorts.How seemingly inocuous comments could still impact others,in a good way!

To my way of thinking,anything I relate to is actually "more about" the fine folks lurking on this forum,and "not" about me.How someone like myself,is willing to learn from  guys like "YOU"!!
   No parades over what I may have,and in all seriousness the "skill set" of playing is really the most important aspect to me,and I'm sure I would be in awe of many of you guys.
   It's about what I've gotten from being a member of this forum,and my very first "thank you" posting of a few weeks ago,says it all!  :bgrin:

Warmest regards to all.....

First off... :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :coffee :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2.

I have reached a point in my preferences where I will commission a guitar build from one of the many lesser-known  luthiers out there and probably come away with comparable quality and sound to Froggy, Goodall, Bourgeois, H&D, Collings, et al, and from the big name maker's custom shops as well. These little guys learned their trades while working at the afore-mentioned and know their stuff. Pricing discussions are taboo here so I will only mention they are the more economical path to great custom built guitars.

Like to have -

Goodall - RCJC - Currently own
Breedlove Focus - Currently own
Rovere OM Custom - On Order

Want -

Pending delivery from Rovere Guitars.

Hey Randy,I kinda considered a Froggy(Btw,I guess you watched Andy's Gang too).They "are" supposedly superbly well crafted,and definitely gorgeous instruments,but I've got no access to try any.The wait is also LONG!!...But I know you were kidding around  regarding the Froggy thing.:guitar