Why LS body isn’t more popular?

Started by StringPicker6, March 17, 2024, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm curious about the LS body size, and why it's not in the current manufacturing lineup. Has anyone had any experience with the LS size (excluding the perfect Forum VI design)that would explain why it's not in the Larrivee standard lineup? The L is such an amazing design, I would imagine that the LS would be just as amazing and a bit more comfortable.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 17, 2024, 11:37:09 AMI'm curious about the LS body size, and why it's not in the current manufacturing lineup. Has anyone had any experience with the LS size (excluding the perfect Forum VI design)that would explain why it's not in the Larrivee standard lineup? The L is such an amazing design, I would imagine that the LS would be just as amazing and a bit more comfortable.

Models come and go from the Larrivee lineup. I imagine not enough interest in them. I don't know why everyone didn't run out and buy an RS-4. If it ain't a dread (or perhaps an OM), it isn't selling? Personally, I'd say if you don't have an L model, you're missing the essential and quintessential Larrivee. Perhaps the LS is a bit redundant?   

I think it's probably just harder to market. They've done an amazing job at getting a non-Martin body size into the mainstream market (the L). A variant on that is going to be harder to sell.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

All valid points.  I wonder if smaller bodied guitars are still a big trend right now?
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 18, 2024, 05:56:40 AMAll valid points.  I wonder if smaller bodied guitars are still a big trend right now?
I think the parlor craze of the last 10 or so years has died down a lot. But, overall, the spread seems to be pretty even, with mid sized guitars probably being the biggest sellers outside of Gibson and Martin. I think those brands still sell a lot of dreads.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Yes, the dread is like the SUV of the car world...  They are just so big under the arm when sitting.  I absolutely love the tone of dreads, but the size is uncomfortable.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

It's hard to say why certain guitar body shapes and designs aren't more readily available and received favorably by guitar buyers. This forum, along with several others, is a great resource and sounding board to help people make informed buying decisions.

In 2005 after playing my Larrivee Parlor for a year, I wanted a nice, larger 12 string with a mahogany top and a Venetian cutaway for strumming and fingerpicking. Using the basic L03 12 string model, my dealer worked with Larrivee to make me exactly what I wanted. I also wanted a 000 12 fret guitar with a three piece mahogany back and sides that did not exist to complement my Martin D35 and OM35. Martin's custom shop made me one.

When the Forum VI specs were developed in 2021 using the LS body shape and after careful and deliberate consideration, I jumped on board, added a Venetian cutaway and factory installed Anthem Dual Source pickup. My LSV actually feels and plays like a mid sized guitar. Over the past 20 years, I've acquired three Larrivees with relativey uncommon wood choices (flamed maple, all mahogany and walnut). Thanks in part to this forum and the quality of workmanship on each of my Larrivees.

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 18, 2024, 06:03:55 AMYes, the dread is like the SUV of the car world...  They are just so big under the arm when sitting.  I absolutely love the tone of dreads, but the size is uncomfortable.

That's the reason I just sold my HD-28. Beautiful guitar, sounded great and smelled great. Have a 00-40M on order.
Taylor 214ce Plus
Eastman MD315 Mandolin

Your ears will probably have to adjust, but I think you've made the right change. That 00-40 will be a great guitar.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Hi I am new here and recently have purchased 3 Larrivee guitars a Simple 6D, OM-05 and a 000 44.  Although I am a little familiar with the company I am not familiar with the L Series or LS.  What is the uniqueness of the body shape or size?  Thank you for your information.

L is Larrivee's signature or flagship body shape/size.
Your guide to Larrivee guitar bodies.
Welcome Kelly,  and hey- toss us a donut; why donut you?

Welcome Kelly, and it looks like you got the Larrivee bug- congratulations!! There are a LOT of previous posts explaining the appeal of the L body, both on this forum and other forums. Do a little research and you might want to grab yourself a 4th larrivee! The L is special.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Kelly,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on finding three nice (and different) Larrivees.

Since you now have three 6 strings, if you decide think about an L body in the future, give a Larrivee 12 string a try. It will sound like a 12 string but it will play like a 6 string.

Queequeg,

Thanks for sharing the link to the different Larrivee body sizes. That's a nice reference tool.

Quote from: teh on March 19, 2024, 12:39:37 PMQueequeg,

Thanks for sharing the link to the different Larrivee body sizes. That's a nice reference tool.
I'm sure there is something more current out there.
For example, the page I linked does not include the 000.
But it's a good quick reference jampacked with lots of facts and figures.

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 19, 2024, 11:58:25 AMWelcome Kelly, and it looks like you got the Larrivee bug- congratulations!! There are a LOT of previous posts explaining the appeal of the L body, both on this forum and other forums. Do a little research and you might want to grab yourself a 4th larrivee! The L is special.

Thanks and I will check it out and hopefully play one soon!!

OK so how does one post a picture here?

Quote from: kelly campbell44 on March 20, 2024, 11:51:15 AMOK so how does one post a picture here?

It might not let you until you have made ten posts. You should see a box at the bottom in the reply box to click or drag files to attach. It's picky about size of photo files, however.

Quote from: kelly campbell44 on March 20, 2024, 11:51:15 AMOK so how does one post a picture here?

I post images from both PCs and Macs. Not much difference between the two.
NOTE: Click on REPLY.
If you simply begin typing in the empty post space at the bottom it defaults to QUICK REPLY. This can make adding images tricky.
So instead,  click on REPLY.
Then you'll see "Click or drag files here to attach them" at the bottom. (You won't see this option if you're in QUICK REPLY mode.)
.jpgs and .gifs only.

If you're including a file from the cloud you want to use the image icon (just to the right of YouTube) above the emojis and enter your link.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 20, 2024, 01:30:55 PMIt might not let you until you have made ten posts.
This used to be the case.
That restriction was removed some time ago.

:donut  :donut2  :coffee  :cheers
I'm a big fan of the LS model.

I've had a few, and presently play an LS-10 on shows.
Extremely comfortable, and this one has the Florentine cutaway.
So accessing the higher frets is a dream.
When paired with the C-09 BZ- certainly most of the harmonic bases are covered.

Somewhere the dimensions between the two are posted.
Natually, because of the smaller body size and the cutaway, the LS doesn't have the power of its bigger brother, but it more than makes up for it in sweetness of tone.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...