Stories about Jean from Grit Laskin.

Started by B0WIE, December 26, 2023, 11:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

These stories were fascinating to me.  I was watching an interview with Grit Laskin, a high-end luthier who got his start w/ Jean Larrivee, and had to share this here. It includes how Jean got his start, his mechanical inclination, and a bunch of charming stories.
https://youtu.be/qEghDco2CW0?t=393
I got the link set up to start where he begins talking about Jean. he stays on that subject until about 12:40. if you click on the embedded video below, go to 6:28
Somewhere later on he tells another Jean story about Jean initially being a classical guitar builder, saying the first time Jean made a steel string he was putting the fret markers/inlays where he thought they looked nice, not knowing that steel string builders tend to place them in specific spots.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Thanks for posting Bowie, was interesting to watch.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

Fascinating video. I didn't know the first lattice bracing system was done in Canada and not Australia by Greg Smallman. I wonder if a lattice system would work on a steel string guitar. I like watching Lindsay Straw guitar demonstration videos. She is an excellent player. 

I enjoyed that video. Ty for sharing!
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Interesting. Jean is obviously a genius. As for Laskins, I'm sure they're wonderful guitars but I've been, perhaps, stupidly influenced by a "friend" who owned a Laskin who would not let me touch it. I realize that is not Grit's fault but ain't life strange? Other than that, I'm a 'less is more' kind of guy and don't much like the over inlayed guitar. I saw Stan Roger's kid do a gig with his dad's Laskins and wasn't all that impressed. Maybe because the son was not anywhere as good as his dad. Again, ain't life funny? I also find that the armrest thing is like a cupholder in a car. Not all that important overall. My Larrivees will just have to do.   

a very short clip of Jesse Cook playing the F.H. Varley guitar Grit Laskin built for the Group of Seven project (as mentioned in the video)

There's a local luthier by the name of John Currier in Stevens Point WI that makes very nice guitars, including armrests, for a fraction of the price of a Laskin. He's retiring because he just can't make a go of it. Ain't life strange?

https://jedistar.com/currier-guitars/

Quote from: skyline on March 21, 2024, 03:46:26 PMa very short clip of Jesse Cook playing the F.H. Varley guitar Grit Laskin built for the Group of Seven project (as mentioned in the video)

I'd seen that guitar before but never heard it. Very sweet and clear trebles. That's where mastery really shows up. Anyone can make a guitar with a bevel and lots of inlay (the Chinese do it for next to nothing) but getting it to sing is another game entirely.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 21, 2024, 09:33:30 PMI'd seen that guitar before but never heard it. Very sweet and clear trebles. That's where mastery really shows up. Anyone can make a guitar with a bevel and lots of inlay (the Chinese do it for next to nothing) but getting it to sing is another game entirely.

Getting it to sing is the job of the player. I'm sure they're fine guitars and I have no problem with Laskin selling guitars for 15K or more if anyone is foolish enough to pay that much but the inlay is fugly and Jean and Wendy taught him everything he knows. 10K for an armrest? I'd stick with a beautiful and effective L model. I was at a jam once and a fellow pulled up in a Porsche Boxter and somehow took four guitar cases out containing 2 Ryans and 2 Collings. Around $30,000.00 US worth of guitars. He could play all three chords. A good player will make a $300.00 Yamaha sing. A poor player will sound just as poorly on a $10,000 guitar.       

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 21, 2024, 10:06:38 PMGetting it to sing is the job of the player. I'm sure they're fine guitars and I have no problem with Laskin selling guitars for 15K or more if anyone is foolish enough to pay that much but the inlay is fugly and Jean and Wendy taught him everything he knows. 10K for an armrest? I'd stick with a beautiful and effective L model. I was at a jam once and a fellow pulled up in a Porsche Boxter and somehow took four guitar cases out containing 2 Ryans and 2 Collings. Around $30,000.00 US worth of guitars. He could play all three chords. A good player will make a $300.00 Yamaha sing. A poor player will sound just as poorly on a $10,000 guitar.       

Wow!
Fugly?
Grit was Jeans first apprentice.
I knew him as a Toronto folky, before then.
Maybe using a guitar as a canvas for art isn't always appreciated.

Grits builds are fabulous sounding.
As are Linda Manzers & David Wrens.

From humble beginnings Jean asked Edgar Munch to help build.
Then along comes Grit, then David, then Linda, then Tony (who I knew from Nova Scotia, the lust goes on.
The Group of Seven became the basis of the brand we all know and love today.

Sry, I'm rather proud of these fine fellows and friends.

Call it what you want.
Derogatory comments on ground breaking luthier artists is a tad harsh.

Playing their instruments is nothing short of a magnificent privilege.

Jean gave his early apprentices the freedom to experiment and build better guitars.

Gratitude is not a platitude.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 21, 2024, 10:06:38 PMGetting it to sing is the job of the player. I'm sure they're fine guitars and I have no problem with Laskin selling guitars for 15K or more if anyone is foolish enough to pay that much but the inlay is fugly and Jean and Wendy taught him everything he knows. 10K for an armrest? I'd stick with a beautiful and effective L model. I was at a jam once and a fellow pulled up in a Porsche Boxter and somehow took four guitar cases out containing 2 Ryans and 2 Collings. Around $30,000.00 US worth of guitars. He could play all three chords. A good player will make a $300.00 Yamaha sing. A poor player will sound just as poorly on a $10,000 guitar.       
I can usually ignore the chip on the shoulder thing because we're all sort of a family here and it's better to just get along. But, but when it goes into disrespecting the work of a talented and passionate luthier, it's too much. Linda, Grit, and all the Larrivee apprentices I've seen interviewed are always very respectful of Jean and the direction he took in making factory guitars. For someone to disrespect the people who took Jean's teachings and elevated the art to another level, I can't imagine Jean would be cool with that. I think he's proud that he fostered some of the greats. It's a beautiful thing, don't let your resentment turn it into something ugly.

A nylon string guitar is so beautiful sounding. I really like the trebles on this instrument. That is quite a different sound from the cedar topped Ramierz instruments I listened to in the 70s. It does sound like a delicate instrument, with an almost flamenco like sounds. Looks like the player is using support strokes exclusively. I will say I'm not a fan of artwork on an instrument I'm sure his waiting list is longer than my lifespan and I only play dreadnoughts.

Quote from: William2 on March 22, 2024, 06:26:02 AMA nylon string guitar is so beautiful sounding. I really like the trebles on this instrument. That is quite a different sound from the cedar topped Ramierz instruments I listened to in the 70s. It does sound like a delicate instrument, with an almost flamenco like sounds. Looks like the player is using support strokes exclusively. I will say I'm not a fan of artwork on an instrument I'm sure his waiting list is longer than my lifespan and I only play dreadnoughts.
Here is a link to a short video about the Group Of Seven Guitar Project, based on paintings by seven Canadian artists. You will see the Laskin guitar in the video and the inspiration behind it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQxu6wGoc0

There is also a full length DVD about the project, which includes all the guitars being played by outstanding guitarists. The project was a commission by the McMichael Canadian Art Collection. The DVD is not streamable anywhere, you have to buy it and it is worth every penny.
https://mcmichael.com/event/the-group-of-seven-guitar-project/
Check it out.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 22, 2024, 11:13:27 AMHere is a link to a short video about the Group Of Seven Guitar Project, based on paintings by seven Canadian artists. You will see the Laskin guitar in the video and the inspiration behind it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DQxu6wGoc0

There is also a full length DVD about the project, which includes all the guitars being played by outstanding guitarists. The project was a commission by the McMichael Canadian Art Collection. The DVD is not streamable anywhere, you have to buy it and it is worth every penny.
https://mcmichael.com/event/the-group-of-seven-guitar-project/
Check it out.
Mike

Thank you for sharing this video. It was a real art history lesson. And I have to say it has really changed my mind about artwork on the instrument. I really liked that first instrument with its three-dimensional quality of the picture.

Quote from: William2 on March 22, 2024, 12:06:43 PMThank you for sharing this video. It was a real art history lesson. And I have to say it has really changed my mind about artwork on the instrument. I really liked that first instrument with its three-dimensional quality of the picture.
If the short video got your interest, the DVD will blow you away. We just watched it again. Part of it are the full song performances by the guitarists, probably 9 or so of them, all different, excellent recordings and videography taken onsite at the museum. The stories about how each luthier got matched with a particular artist are fascinating. A separate part of the DVD are longer discussions about each of the guitars. The discussion of the Larrivee really lets Wendy shine. They show the marquetry inside the back of the guitar, which took two solid months to accomplish, based on the painting assigned to Larrivee, using computer design, laser-cut parts, and staining of the wood. Jean said he was convinced it could not be done, but when he returned from one of his trips, there it was.
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: William2 on March 22, 2024, 06:26:02 AMA nylon string guitar is so beautiful sounding. I really like the trebles on this instrument. That is quite a different sound from the cedar topped Ramierz instruments I listened to in the 70s. It does sound like a delicate instrument, with an almost flamenco like sounds. Looks like the player is using support strokes exclusively. I will say I'm not a fan of artwork on an instrument I'm sure his waiting list is longer than my lifespan and I only play dreadnoughts.
I agree. It has more of a flamenco or crossover quality, with the trebles being the star of the show. Getting nylons to be bright without sounding plinky and hard must be difficult. I guess the same can be said for steel strings that are bright but also sweet. Must require a lot of attention to detail.

My comments might be different if this thread was in Other Guitar Makers where it belongs. I probably wouldn't have even clicked on it. I admit I'm a loyal Larrivista. I will always be grateful to Kevin for selling me my first Larrivee but, speaking of chips on shoulders, he did unfriend me because I'm not a Liberal. I'm entitled to my opinion and don't want to get into a p***ing contest with anyone who doesn't like it but I find a little bit of a stink in overpriced guitars that I, personally, find ugly. Not the guitars but the wall of inlay. A guitar can only be so good but, again, I'm not a communist and good for Laskin for convincing people his guitars are worth 15 to 25 K. If you have more money than brains go for it. If that's not the case or even if you have the money, try a nice L model. I've said it before but I'll reiterate. I always assume there are young people reading these threads and my advice is aimed at them. Have a great life everyone.   :beer     

If anyone wants to see a fugly guitar, google "Martin clock guitar", the Martin D-200.  Only costs $130,000 and looks like a a clock that crashed into a pickup truck hauling D-28's.   :roll
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Bowie, Skyline, Mike from Lytle:

I watched these video clips you posted in this thread over the weekend and really enjoyed them.

While I was familiar with Grit Laskin, I never really knew much about him. His comments about Jean Larrivee's early years were insightful and provided me with better perspective about the growth of his company. Jean's ability to identify and nurture talent is also evident in "The Group of Seven Guitar Project" video. Thanks for sharing.

Quote from: ducktrapper on March 22, 2024, 06:10:04 PMMy comments might be different if this thread was in Other Guitar Makers where it belongs. I probably wouldn't have even clicked on it. I admit I'm a loyal Larrivista. I will always be grateful to Kevin for selling me my first Larrivee but, speaking of chips on shoulders, he did unfriend me because I'm not a Liberal. I'm entitled to my opinion and don't want to get into a p***ing contest with anyone who doesn't like it but I find a little bit of a stink in overpriced guitars that I, personally, find ugly. Not the guitars but the wall of inlay. A guitar can only be so good but, again, I'm not a communist and good for Laskin for convincing people his guitars are worth 15 to 25 K. If you have more money than brains go for it. If that's not the case or even if you have the money, try a nice L model. I've said it before but I'll reiterate. I always assume there are young people reading these threads and my advice is aimed at them. Have a great life everyone.   :beer     
Which is why Jean, in his infinite wisdom, insisted there be no political discussion on this forum if we wanted to use his name here. Find the things we have in common (such as guitars) and not those things which divide us.
 :cheers