Mic for home computer recording

Started by Jeff, March 21, 2008, 03:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've decided to jump into home recording with my computer, if only to preserve ideas when noodling (how many times has something cool from the previous night evaporated by the morning?)  I'd also like to use it monitor progress.  Anyway, I've got Audacity downloaded and am ready to go.  Just need the mic.  As I'm not making CDs or even going to post audio files for others to hear, would something cheap and cheerful (and plug and play) like a Logitech USB Desktop suffice? Obviously, I don't want to waste my money, but I don't need anything terribly sophisticated or pricey.  This is new territory to me and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

Hey Jeff. Im using the The MXL V63MBP. Its for computer recording. I purchased my for a 99.00 at guitar center

but I see they also have them online athttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=mxl+mic&st= for

59.00 plus shipping. I use my with cakewalk guitar tracks 3 and Im loving it. The price is right too.

Happy Playing.

Barry.
Larrivee OM O5

Guitar Tracks 3

MXL Mic (Computer)

Klipsch Speakers

Thanks for the steer, Barry.  Appreciate it.
Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

I use this Samson USB (CO 1U) but chucked the cakewalk program. What a circus that program is, I guess if you enjoy spend more time selecting this 'n that and jumping thru hoops it would be fine, but I just wanted to plug in, hit record adjust the volume and play.

Downloaded audacity, and now just plug the CO1U into the USB port, call up the adjust properties icon for the windows sound and audio properties (right click the speaker icon), click the audio tab, then the volume tab & voila, I have mic volume control. call up audacity, hit record and away we go.

Simple clean and easy. Oh since you already have audacity downloaded you can follow their link and enable mp3 formatting really easily too, or just use the wav files but they are too big for posts or e-mails. Here's a link to Sam's (you may get them to sell ya one without cakewalk, send them an inquiry?) Great mic though, bounces off cheap carpet effectively too.  :bgrin:
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on March 26, 2008, 04:51:57 PM
I use this Samson USB (CO 1U) but chucked the cakewalk program. What a circus that program is, I guess if you enjoy spend more time selecting this 'n that and jumping thru hoops it would be fine, but I just wanted to plug in, hit record adjust the volume and play.

Downloaded audacity, and now just plug the CO1U into the USB port, call up the adjust properties icon for the windows sound and audio properties (right click the speaker icon), click the audio tab, then the volume tab & voila, I have mic volume control. call up audacity, hit record and away we go.

Simple clean and easy. Oh since you already have audacity downloaded you can follow their link and enable mp3 formatting really easily too, or just use the wav files but they are too big for posts or e-mails. Here's a link to Sam's (you may get them to sell ya one without cakewalk, send them an inquiry?) Great mic though, bounces off cheap carpet effectively too.  :bgrin:

Hi Michael. Are you refering to the home recording program they have out because it is royal pain to use. However

the guitar tracks pro 3 that I use is pretty much plug and play very easy to use right out of the box. It reminds me of

my tascam except it takes up alot less room.
Larrivee OM O5

Guitar Tracks 3

MXL Mic (Computer)

Klipsch Speakers

I just ordered the blue snowball mic...  I use garageband, which works great for my purposes.  I realize that garageband may not be an option for you PC types...  but I recommend it's ease of use.
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

I believe that would be the one, scrapped it, bought a tone port UX1 and their $300 program only to find 4 different download requirements with constant update reminders and still had to choose cabinets and amp simulators. (I have about 15k in amps and mics and guitars and Di's and stuff, I don't need the simulated program, just wanted to plug a bloody mic in and tweak the volume or EQ it a bit.) In my quest for a simple program I stumbled on audacity thru a thread, free WTH I'll try it. Ain't perfect but as I mentioned, I am on line and recording in about 2 minutes with nothing more to choose than the volume. I use my computer for roughing out tunes, if I want studio quality I will pay for the time and just play.  :whistling:
Sorry for the rant, frustrated the bageebers out of me, and some expensive dusty door stops too I didn't need. Anyway the Samson does a fine job for single track and is very durable.

I have a couple rough cuts on the sound click in my signature, the mic was about 3 feet away on the 6 string ones, and room center with the 12 string thru the PA, got all the string squeaks and bells ringing I needed thru audacity this one mic and no EQ on the program.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065