NGD

Started by Schmitz, April 21, 2015, 07:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everyone I'm new here so  :donut :donut :donut :donut :donut2

Picked up an 05 and have been hooked since. Got it secondhand in flawless condition, but have a question.

The guy I bought it from told me it was an L series and, by looking at it I agree. However when I e-mailed Larrivee and inquired they said they had a record of a D model matching my serial number. Mfg date was September 1992. Curious if anyone has some insight on early 90's Larrivee's? Either way the guitar plays like a dream and the wood is absolutely beautiful, craftmanship appears flawless as well (admittedly to my untrained eyes). Take a look for yourself (sorry only have an iphone camera)

No pictures are showing.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Definitely NOT a Dread! That's an L body with what looks like an -03 headstock. The rosette looks like it could be slightly older (maybe an older -05?) but it sure does look good and if its ANYTHING like my L-03 you've got a keeper.

BTW: Thanks for the  :donut :donut :donut (and the ability to read). And mostly  :welcome:
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Beautiful!  Congrats and thx for reading the rules. 
As was said, it's an L body.  I'll bet that beautiful mahogany has a lot of movement in person.  My late 90's Larrivees have the same label but a different rosette so early 90's sounds correct for yours.  They may have botched the documentation.

Gorgeous headstock wood.  For the age, the spruce is surprisingly light in color, as are the nut and saddle.  Wouldn't be surprised if that guitar has seen very little use.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

And no fretboard markers. Wow,,nice guitar.  :nana_guitar
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Looks like you got a great-looking  L-model in real nice condition.  Play the heck out of it and enjoy.  Nothing wrong with those pictures, either.  That guitar would have been made in Vancouver even though the label reads Victoria.  They used the older labels for several years after they moved from Victoria to Vancouver.

And welcome to the forum from a Canadian member.   :wave :donut :donut2 :coffee

Kurt, in Edmonton, Alberta
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: ffinke on April 21, 2015, 09:33:07 PM
Definitely NOT a Dread! That's an L body with what looks like an -03 headstock. The rosette looks like it could be slightly older (maybe an older -05?) but it sure does look good and if its ANYTHING like my L-03 you've got a keeper.

BTW: Thanks for the  :donut :donut :donut (and the ability to read). And mostly  :welcome:
The headstock appears to have a rosewood overlay and MOP inlay. That was offered on the 05 series and up, I believe. The 03 series had a wood inlay on ebony, except for special runs like the Forum IV etc.

Beautiful guitar, congratulations.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: dependan on April 22, 2015, 10:18:34 AM
The headstock appears to have a rosewood overlay and MOP inlay. That was offered on the 05 series and up, I believe. The 03 series had a wood inlay on ebony, except for special runs like the Forum IV etc.

I noticed that as well.   Maybe this was a special order when it was built.

:welcome:   :nice guitar:  Thanks for sharing your new prized possession.  Looks like an early 90's L-05.  Very clean and does look as though she has been a closet queen or at least kept in the case most of her life.  Your rosette looks just like the one on my OO-19 that was built in 06/91.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum...  you need to sign up for a forum Tee shirt before the order goes in to the manufacturer.  The opportunity to get one does not come up frequently.

BobW...  :guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on April 22, 2015, 01:11:14 AM
Looks like you got a great-looking  L-model in real nice condition.  Play the heck out of it and enjoy.  Nothing wrong with those pictures, either.  That guitar would have been made in Vancouver even though the label reads Victoria.  They used the older labels for several years after they moved from Victoria to Vancouver.

And welcome to the forum from a Canadian member.   :wave :donut :donut2 :coffee

Kurt, in Edmonton, Alberta

I read that Larrivee stopped using the Victoria labels in December of 1996
Larrivee L03R Hunt For Spruce
Halcyon New Guiena/Sitka SJ
Halcyon Figured Walnut/Sitka AJ

Certainly not a Dread, sure looks like an L model to me.  Great condition too.  Any noticeable fretwear?  Probably need to have someone look at the neck relief if it has not been setup in a while...  Welcome to the forum from another new member... George
George

Quote from: B0WIE on April 21, 2015, 11:48:38 PM
They may have botched the documentation.

:+1: their attention to detail was focused more on the building than the administrative paperwork as is obvious as this guitar is truly a stunner!!!

Your guitar is not the 1st from that era to have the serial# data a little off.

Thanks for the  :donut  :donut2  Hope you stick around and share some stories  :wave
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Congrats on a great find!

Yours is a sister to my 1992 OM-05 - my specs match yours:
* rosewood headstock overlay with Abalone logo
* no fretboard dots, just side markers,
* rosewood body binding (not the maple used now)
* old style rosette
* no center back strip on the back center seam
* Victoria label inside

These are indeed, wonderful guitars - mine's my first and still favorite Larrivee.

Also, someone mentioned the 03 series; those came along much later - certainly not built in the early to mid 90's.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I really like the look of that headstock. Nice guitar   :thumb
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Thanks everyone for the advice and the warm welcome! Everyone's judgments have really reassured the assumptions I have made about this guitar. The only things not obvious are the Schaller tuners (they say made in W. Germany which I get a kick out of) and the fretboard has a light lacquer on it, bone nut and saddle. This guitar definitely sat in a closet for a number of years, the original strings were on it when I first got it! No fret wear. Got it set up when purchased just to make sure everything was in order. Remarkable instrument that inspires.

Mine also has the Schaller tuners. You got yourself a very nice guitar there - enjoy! And stick around...it probably won't be your last Larrivee!  :wacko:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Beautiful guitar!  Love the rosewood binding! Congrats!
Treenewt