Question for Fingerstyle Players

Started by William2, April 16, 2024, 03:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When playing fingerstyle, I never anchor the pinky.  Having the forearm rest on the lower bout gently provides a comfortable stability and keeps the right hand mobile.  I got into steel string fingerstyle after playing nylon string and while taking classical lessons so I learned and practiced without anchoring.  That said, I also play OM style seated in classical position...maybe it feels more necessary to anchor playing fingerstyle on the right leg.

My guess would be that flat pickers don't develop the steady forearm that is required for fingerstyle so, when transitioning, the sometimes need the pinky as an anchor. I know I did at first. Really took a long time for me to get the hang of no anchor at the hand.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: fantex on April 16, 2024, 09:28:50 PMI am currently working on my fingerpicking. When I'm not using my ring finger I sometimes find my pinky planted on the e string with my ring finger. After that I try to plant it on the guitar but I think I'd rather have it floating. When I flat pick mandolin or guitar I don't plant anything, I just float.

I found this an interesting comment. I think when I was young and studied classical guitar, I planted on strings also. I never to me recollection planted on the treble strings but would rest the thumb on a bass string when playing on the trebles. For me now, I can play either way, planted or non0planted. I sometimes feel a sense of tension in the pinky finger as it dangles there doing nothing. I also think the acoustic and classical guitar are two different animals. The different tension of the strings on these two instruments has changed my picking and hand position. I find it less necessary to use supported strokes on the acoustic instrument to make the melody line stand out. I think it probably depends on your sound goals and what you play. My primary interest is song standards arranged by good jazz guitarists and some classical also. Toward that end, I want to be able to play full sounding chords with equal voicing on each note. To get there, my looking at my fingers of different lengths and the hand position I need to get them to work together and sound equal and get a good quality of sound. It's still a work in progress and probably always will be. My favorite jazz guitarist Jimmy Bruno said getting there is half the fun LOL. I find some of those Chris Whiteman arrangements using the 5-note plucked chord sound so good and require the pinky. You can leave out a note and it just doesn't sound as good. Or you could strum it, But I prefer the unison plucked sound. I'm looking at the Villa Lobos Etude #4 using repeated chords. It occasionally uses the 5-note plucked chord. Segovia never edited these for fingerings. I always wonder if it was these 5 note chords. It is my understanding Segovia never used the pinky considering it weaker. And when I listen to classical player doing the #4, on these 5 notes chords they break them up hitting the bass quickly followed by the other r4 notes with P,I,M,A, fingers.

Quote from: William2 on April 27, 2024, 10:39:23 AMI found this an interesting comment. I think when I was young and studied classical guitar, I planted on strings also. I never to me recollection planted on the treble strings but would rest the thumb on a bass string when playing on the trebles. For me now, I can play either way, planted or non0planted. I sometimes feel a sense of tension in the pinky finger as it dangles there doing nothing. I also think the acoustic and classical guitar are two different animals. The different tension of the strings on these two instruments has changed my picking and hand position. I find it less necessary to use supported strokes on the acoustic instrument to make the melody line stand out. I think it probably depends on your sound goals and what you play. My primary interest is song standards arranged by good jazz guitarists and some classical also. Toward that end, I want to be able to play full sounding chords with equal voicing on each note. To get there, my looking at my fingers of different lengths and the hand position I need to get them to work together and sound equal and get a good quality of sound. It's still a work in progress and probably always will be. My favorite jazz guitarist Jimmy Bruno said getting there is half the fun LOL. I find some of those Chris Whiteman arrangements using the 5-note plucked chord sound so good and require the pinky. You can leave out a note and it just doesn't sound as good. Or you could strum it, But I prefer the unison plucked sound. I'm looking at the Villa Lobos Etude #4 using repeated chords. It occasionally uses the 5-note plucked chord. Segovia never edited these for fingerings. I always wonder if it was these 5 note chords. It is my understanding Segovia never used the pinky considering it weaker. And when I listen to classical player doing the #4, on these 5 notes chords they break them up hitting the bass quickly followed by the other r4 notes with P,I,M,A, fingers.

Your post reminded me what I meant to say, I also plant my thumb on a bass string that provides some stability as well.