Easier to play - short scale or 12 fret?

Started by Myopic Squirrel, February 25, 2024, 10:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briefly played a new Martin 000-18 short scale and was pleasantly surprised at how easily it played - great action, easy fretting, very comfortable. Even more surprised when told it had medium gauge strings. And most surprised that it was 14 frets. Read many posts re: the comfort of playing 12 fret guitars which left me wondering: for maximum hand comfort which is better? Thank you in advance!

I don't think it's something that should be compared as one option doesn't limit you from choosing the other, and they do two different things. Short scale means less tension. 12 fret means better ergonomics.

They both change the tone. I think 12 fret adds a lot. Short scale can take away a little bass and volume, though the builder can do things to compensate.

I never give much thought to how guitars feel in a store as the set up is the biggest factor and they aren't all equal. A different guitar might have more potential but not be set up as well as the one that felt great in the store.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Bowie, thank you. I was surprised at the action of this guitar - comparing it to my OM-05 which has very good action, and had been gone over by a tech with a LOT of Larrivee experience, the action felt comparable.

My interest in the short scale is hand relief, so ideally should look for a 12 fret short scale guitar.

I wonder how much scale length really eases you're playing. Once you get used to short scale, maybe there are days when even this scale length can feel taxing. I think your hand just gets used to what it has to do. I do however notice the 12-fret connection makes my playing more comfortable and to my eyes, it just looks more aesthetically pleasing. And for me, I never understood the big deal about neck width. The 1 &11/16" is just as comfortable and doable as the 1 & 3/4" width for me. When I was playing lute, my renaissance Frei replica had a neck width about the same as a classical guitar and yet it had 8 courses of strings. There are few big stretches in this music, and I had to adapt to contracting my hand in this music. When I came back to guitar, I had to get used to the big stretches in some of the instruments chord configurations.

William - good Q. As Bowie notes above - short scale less tension & 12 fret ergonomic comfort. I agree re: adaptability, especially the inspiration this OM is giving me. That being said, I've discovered even a couple of years has affected my manual dexterity. Meanwhile it's fun soldiering on trying to figure this out.

Couple more thoughts:
Tuning down half a step offers more relief on the left hand than short scale. And, it sometimes (not always) even sounds better as well. If hand health is a concern, consider tuning down.

My 12 fretters ALWAYS feel more comfortable on the left arm and neck, for me. But, my short scale guitars don't always feel easier or sound a particular way. Short scale objectively does make changes in tension and sound, but the builder can work around that so you can't always say a short scale is going to have less sustain, or less deep bass. It's really a case by case basis.

Regarding your question about maximum hand comfort, I use light gauge strings on all of my guitars. I have two 12 fret, short scale guitars: A Larrivee flamed maple parlor (my first Larrivee) and a custom Martin 000 12 fret slotted headstock with scalloped bracing and a three piece mahogany back & sides (my third Martin).

Both guitars have great tone and are easy to play but I also have no trouble transitioning to my 14 fret, long scale guitars. I also have a 12 fret Larrivee LSV03 (Forum VI) with a 25.5 inch scale that got a lot of playing time last week.  It I should add that my Forum VI had a perfect setup right out of the box.

Wood choices are also important to me. I have Sitka spruce tops plus a moonwood spruce and a mahogany topped guitar. Back and sides include three mahogany, two rosewood, one maple and one walnut. There's always room for one more guitar.

I'd like to see Larrivee make a short scale 14-fret slope shoulder dreadnought.

Bowie - would I be defeating the purpose of less tension when tuning down a 1/2 step to then put a capo on the 1st fret (when playing with others who are in the standard tuning)?

teh - I use light gauge strings - currently DR Rare PB's - only ones I had when I got the OM and looking to experiment with others.

Quote from: Myopic Squirrel on March 02, 2024, 12:10:35 PMBowie - would I be defeating the purpose of less tension when tuning down a 1/2 step to then put a capo on the 1st fret (when playing with others who are in the standard tuning)?

teh - I use light gauge strings - currently DR Rare PB's - only ones I had when I got the OM and looking to experiment with others.
No, that's very common. You achieve less tension while staying in your preferred it familiar keys.

It does take away something that I value, which is the growl of open strings ringing against a bone nut. I really love that quality so I'll adapt rather than use a capo (I do use capos but usually higher up and for a gentle tone). That's just me though.