Stringjoy Naturals

Started by Riverbend, November 22, 2023, 03:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just restrung my Forum VI with Stringjoy Naturals, and I've got to say these strings are REALLY nice. I also put them on my Larrivee mandolin a while ago and couldn't wait to try them on a guitar. Hands down new favorites.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Interesting. I'm a bit of a string junkie but never heard of these. How would you describe them?
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on November 22, 2023, 10:46:02 AMInteresting. I'm a bit of a string junkie but never heard of these. How would you describe them?
Small company in Nashville with a pretty sincere mission statement. They can tell you about themselves way better than I can. As far as the strings themselves, they feel really good on my fingers and the tonal qualities suit me quite well. First real playing after stringing had me stopping a few seconds in, saying "wow". Also came highly recommended by a gigging friend. I was also impressed with the way they've stayed in tune for new strings. I ordered a few more sets. Give them a try and let me know what you think. Sweetwater stocks them and ships for free.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

For someone who owns as many guitars as I do, they seem a little pricey. I know they say each string is made, one at a time, by hand, by magic string elves but still, how much better can one string be than another? I've heard these claims about so many different brands over the years, Elixir, Newtone, John Pearse etc. that I'm very leery of these kind of things. Anyway, if I can buy a set of very decent strings for six or seven bucks, twelve to eighteen is not very attractive. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 22, 2023, 11:14:07 PMFor someone who owns as many guitars as I do, they seem a little pricey. I know they say each string is made, one at a time, by hand, by magic string elves but still, how much better can one string be than another? I've heard these claims about so many different brands over the years, Elixir, Newtone, John Pearse etc. that I'm very leery of these kind of things. Anyway, if I can buy a set of very decent strings for six or seven bucks, twelve to eighteen is not very attractive. 
Yeah, they are pricey. I paid $14.99 for the Naturals, so I'm hoping to get some decent life out of them. My 3 main guitars are really one "most of the time" guitar, and two "I need to play you more" guitars, so the string wear isn't bad on 66.6% of mine. Once a year string changes are the norm on those. So the yearly expense is actually quite meager, no matter what strings I buy. The mandolin strings, for what it's worth, are holding up exceptionally well after daily play for months now...I'm quite impressed.   
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

I make it a point to try almost every kind of string that comes out.  Even if they are $25 or so (I'm looking at you, Santa Cruz!), they are still cheap in the grand scheme - especially when you consider what most of us paid for our guitars.  String experimenting is one of the funnest (yes, that's a real word) things about being a guitar player.  I've now got StringJoy on my list to try.  Thanks for the heads up. 

For what it's worth, I've been on the hunt for the perfect set of strings for my Larrivee for decades.  Sometimes I think I've found them, but then something else comes along.  Even still, there are few things in life as exciting (to me) as a fresh set of strings installed and tuned up.  It's like getting a new guitar all over again. 

I haven't tried these (pretty happy with D'Addario XS) but enjoyed his spot on Fretboard Journal podcast a few months ago.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/podcast-427-scott-marquart-of-stringjoy/
Ron

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 22, 2023, 11:14:07 PMFor someone who owns as many guitars as I do, they seem a little pricey. I know they say each string is made, one at a time, by hand, by magic string elves but still, how much better can one string be than another? I've heard these claims about so many different brands over the years, Elixir, Newtone, John Pearse etc. that I'm very leery of these kind of things. Anyway, if I can buy a set of very decent strings for six or seven bucks, twelve to eighteen is not very attractive. 
yup. I'm with you on this, duck.
I'm sufficiently satisfied with D'Addario EJ16s which I buy in a 10-pack box.
Perhaps it's these old ears of mine that can't discern the subtle nuances of a blue-ribbon, premium grade product. For that I should be grateful.
Oh, that I could be more sanguine of my talent as I am of my strings.   :blush:

Quote from: Queequeg on November 23, 2023, 08:13:16 AMyup. I'm with you on this, duck.
I'm sufficiently satisfied with D'Addario EJ16s which I buy in a 10-pack box.
Perhaps it's these old ears of mine that can't discern the subtle nuances of a blue-ribbon, premium grade product. For that I should be grateful.
Oh, that I could be more sanguine of my talent as I am of my strings.   :blush:

Yeah, I sure don't want to ruin anyone's fun if experimenting with strings is their thing but I'm trying to be (somewhat) of a working musician again, including keeping fresh strings on working guitars, and I'd like to cover musical costs with musical gains and buying less expensive bulk strings is certainly part of it. EJ16's are fine strings. I've tried a set of XS and I just can't justify the upcharge. As for claims of huge differences in small things that, to me, are mostly too subtle to notice or bother with, it's all good.  :beer   

I have always liked strings that feel smooth under my fingers. And I prefer strings that minimize finger noise. I'm very happy with D'Addario SX strings and Elixir 13-53 Hybrid strings. In addition to the above attributes, both sets seem to last a long time. I was reading a comparison of Stringjoy and Elixir and it said: "If you prefer coated strings for their longevity and smoother feel, Elixir might be the better choice. If you prioritize a wide range of material options and a balanced tone, Stringjoy could be a great fit."

Somebody help me out. Why do all strings, of the same gauge, pretty much feel the same to me? Callouses too thick? The differences that I notice tend to be sonic rather than tactile. Even then, I'd say they are subtle. The feel, to me, has more to do with the instrument than the strings. I can put the same strings on two different guitars and they will feel different. Or are we talking about something else when we say "feel"?  :arrow

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 26, 2023, 03:18:55 PMSomebody help me out. Why do all strings, of the same gauge, pretty much  the same to me? Callouses too thick? The differences that I notice tend to be sonic rather than tactile. Even then, I'd say they are subtle. The feel, to me, has more to do with the instrument than the strings. I can put the same strings on two different guitars and they will feel different. Or are we talking about something else when we say "feel"?  :arrow
You really need to get in touch with your feelings, duck.
 :bgrin:

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 26, 2023, 03:18:55 PMSomebody help me out. Why do all strings, of the same gauge, pretty much feel the same to me? Callouses too thick? The differences that I notice tend to be sonic rather than tactile. Even then, I'd say they are subtle. The feel, to me, has more to do with the instrument than the strings. I can put the same strings on two different guitars and they will feel different. Or are we talking about something else when we say "feel"?  :arrow
And I bet you think that Coke tastes the same as Pepsi, don't you?  :humour:
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on November 26, 2023, 07:56:29 PMAnd I bet you think that Coke tastes the same as Pepsi, don't you?  :humour:

Interchangeable, aren't they?  :laughin:

Quote from: Queequeg on November 26, 2023, 06:41:37 PMYou really need to get in touch with your feelings, duck.
 :bgrin:

I keep trying, still many insist on forcing square pegs into round holes. .  :laughin:

Feel is the way they catch against your fingers. Sometimes, callouses actually create MORE feel because they are hard and catch on the subtle textures in strings.

I have a very hard time building callouses and I'm pretty indifferent about feel. I notice the variety in feel between strings but I don't really care. Sound and longevity are all that really matter. Plain old daddario and Martin PB's are some of the very best sounding strings, but only for about 3 days. And, I just can't have that. As much as I hate coated strings, I've been using them just to get a half decent sound that doesn't require a change twice a week.

If I am going to record I might use DR. In fact, my electrics are all strung with DR because they sound great and last forever on electrics.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Man, I just had on a set of D'Addarios that refused to die. Very strange experience. I finally took them off for the heck of it. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on November 26, 2023, 10:06:10 PMMan, I just had on a set of D'Addarios that refused to die. Very strange experience. I finally took them off for the heck of it. 
Same experience here on my OM-40, the D'Addarios are still ticking. They seem to last the longest for me, and don't suffer that dreaded 3 day decay that happens with other strings.
And the Stringjoys I put on the Forum VI are still sounding bright and new.     
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin