Mediums on L-09?

Started by Super8, October 23, 2023, 10:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a lovely moonspruce and rosewood l-09, and I've been experimenting with strings brands/gauges for it.  I've found that I love the sound of Daddarios XS strings in light gauge, but with beefed up b, high e, and low e from a medium set to give me rounder, fatter trebles along with better tension for open tunings. But it's rather expensive buying singles to piece together sets, and I'm left with unused strings.  Do you guys think this guitar can handle a set of straight mediums? I asked this question of Taylor regarding my Redwood topped GA guitar from them, and they responded that it wasn't advised with that guitar.  Wondering if the L, being a rather big-bodied spruce guitar, can handle the tension.

Larrivee tells us that their guitars are braced for medium strings. I know for a fact that mediums are not a problem on that model. They will sound great (and will not hurt the guitar). For that matter, so will most strings. It's a matter of taste.

As was said, it's made to take Mediums. I find lights to sound just slightly out of tune, mostly at the start and end of chords. Mediums are really solid in that aspect. It's just a matter if your hands are comfortable. The guitar doesn't mind at all.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I am using the Elixir Nanoweb 13-53 strings on mySD-40. It has really strengthened the treble strings. And they are really holding up well.

Thanks all, sounds like I'll be fine.  I used to play Elixirs almost exclusively, but now I find the XS to sound a little better and last even longer, so those are my go tos. Too bad Daddario isn't interested in making an HD light set.