A sampling of Larrivee Guitars

Started by William2, May 02, 2024, 09:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a great video comparison of 6 Larrivee instruments. The performer plays the same thing and transitions between the various instruments so you can hear the differences.

A sampling of Larrivee guitars!
Six Larrivee guitars demonstrated:
00-40R (Sitka/Indian Rosewood)
OM-50 (Sitka/Mahogany)
C-03R-TE Custom Shop Tommy Emmanuel Tribute (Sitka/Indian Rosewood)
L-03R-12 String (Sitka/Indian Rosewood)
D-44R (Sitka/Indian Rosewood)
SD-50 (Sitka/Mahogany)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMUHUCdl31Y

Thanks for posting! This checked off a lot of boxes for me. No needless chit-chat, brief enough samples that I could remember from model to model (and I could skip and repeat on the progress bar), really excellent mic placement, and a playing sample similar to my own style of playing. More than any comparison video I've seen this illustrates about as well as it can be what tone spectrum differences there are between all the models. I'll be subscribing.

It would be too much to ask for, but a comparison video between back and sides woods of the same model - rosewood, walnut, mahogany etc would be really useful for me as well.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the OO has my favorite tone of all of them  :wink:
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on May 03, 2024, 06:41:05 AMThanks for posting! This checked off a lot of boxes for me. No needless chit-chat, brief enough samples that I could remember from model to model (and I could skip and repeat on the progress bar), really excellent mic placement, and a playing sample similar to my own style of playing. More than any comparison video I've seen this illustrates about as well as it can be what tone spectrum differences there are between all the models. I'll be subscribing.

It would be too much to ask for, but a comparison video between back and sides woods of the same model - rosewood, walnut, mahogany etc would be really useful for me as well.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the OO has my favorite tone of all of them  :wink:

Regarding tone wood demos, I think this guy is a seller and demos what he has in stock. You could ask him. He has done demos like the Larrivee SD-50 vs the Larrivee SD-60 (Mahogany vs Rosewood). I was kind of surprised at the timbre change when he got to the Tommy Emmanuel model. I also was impressed by the 00 but ended up preferring the OM with its greater depth of sound.

William2 - thank you. Good find and very interesting. Would have liked to hear 00 vs parlor, as I am slowly adjusting to the contrast between my OM & parlor.

Quote from: William2 on May 03, 2024, 09:12:15 AMRegarding tone wood demos, I think this guy is a seller and demos what he has in stock. You could ask him. He has done demos like the Larrivee SD-50 vs the Larrivee SD-60 (Mahogany vs Rosewood). I was kind of surprised at the timbre change when he got to the Tommy Emmanuel model. I also was impressed by the 00 but ended up preferring the OM with its greater depth of sound.

I posted a duplicate of my post above as a YouTube comment so maybe he'll notice, but seems unlikely unless he has two of the exact same models in different woods I guess. Dunno why but I was surprised to see the OO he had was rosewood. The OM I liked simply because it sounded like it had a natural reverb to it. The Tommy E model was surprisingly disappointing to me. But then I've tried LS bodies before and they simply didn't stick. Of course much of my preference could simply be due to my crappy eardrums - I really favor bright guitars over deep bassy ones.

update: I got a reply and the guy seemed open to tonewood comparisons of similar models - can't wait to hear em . . .
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Organic Sounds has been knocking it out of the park with these videos. Gives you a real A/B between various models and sizes within a brand. The playing is neutral enough that it's not going to particularly favor one type over another. I've found you really need headphones or proper speakers though. On phones and small devices, the smaller guitars always sound better as you're not hearing the full frequency response of the mid to large instruments.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.