Queston for current or former Martin owners

Started by lmacmil, November 21, 2011, 04:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I suppose there's not an acoustic guitar player alive who hasn't wanted a Martin at some point.  I do too but I recently decided to buy on OM-03 (sight unseen and having never played one) instead of a lower end Martin OM.  This has satisfied my GAS for a while. 

So my question for you current  Martin owners is:  when you got your Martin did it cure your Martin envy?  And for you former Martin owners, what made you sell it and what did you buy to replace it?

I am the wrong guy to ask because I love both Martins and Larrivees and here's my purchase history in order of acquisition:

D-35 (keeper), Ovation 12 string (sold), Martin Backpacker, Larrivee Parlor, Larrivee LV-03MT, Martin OM-35 (all keepers).

I love the satin finish, wood, workmanship and quality of my two Larrivees. If money had been a consideration, I would have purchased an OM-03 with no regrets beause they are great guitars instead of the OM-35 but with the money I saved on the purchase of my 12 string, I had enough left over to seed the pot for my next purchase which turned out to be the Martin. Pound for pound, I would stack my Rosewood OM-35 up against the 09 models which were in the same neighborhood price wise at the time of purchase.

I sold a Martin D28 and a Santa Cruz Tony Rice to buy my Larrivees. No regrets.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

I am lucky enough to own a great Larrivee OM19, that gets played almost every day, and three Martin's that do not as much play time... and one that found a new home...
when you got your Martin did it cure your Martin envy?
Didn't really have Martin envy that i can remember

The first one i got is a '54 D18, was my first steel string, got it in the early 70's
The second one is a '49 000-18, got it in the 80's.. long story.. it sits in a case mostly
The third one i got was a custom shop 12 fret D, sitka/mahog
The fourth one i got is a matching custom shop 12 fret D, sitka/rosewood

I keep D18 due to it being around so long, it's a part of my history now, and i played it yesterday, Lightfoot just for fun - "Black day in July"
I keep the 000-18 as promise to a friend, but it never really jelled with me, been in it's case for more than year untouched
I  sold on the first 12 fret D, mainly due to someone really finding their voice in it.. it's better off in his hands
I keep the second 12 fret D, sometimes it's just the right sound.. i played it this morning... great for Christmas carols or anything that calls for a ton and half of sustain and deep clear bass.

Nothing replaced the 12 fret D

but the OM19 get played maybe twice as much as all of them combined.

d

A friend was selling a few of his guitars and knew I have always been a fan of the hogtop.  Called me to see if I was interested in his 00017s.  Took my L05MT over to his house and played it against his 12 fretter for a whole afternoon.  Didn't make a quick decision, but couldn't get the comfortable feeling of the 12 fret Martin out of my head.  Spent a 2nd day comparing the 2 hogtops a couple of weeks later.  Decided if I could sell the Larrivee to fund the purchase of the Martin I would.  Loved that Larrivee, but didn't need both.  Went for the 12 fret and sold the Larrivee.  I have added a Larrivee parlor and Bourgeois 12 fret dred since.  They are all very different guitars in terms of size and tonewoods giving me a really nice variety.  Like the Martin sound overall and there are many I could own if I could have a lot more guitars.  However, there are lots of wonderful guitars out there and the opportunity to have a guitar that is made by someone other than Larrivee, Bourgeois, or Martin is something I have thought about.  All that said, I had a friend's Martin 0018vs (another 12 fretter) and it was a fantastic guitar and I could be very happy with that guitar too.  If I cave to gas again it will probably be for a smaller guitar that I can flatpick and is not a hogtop.  Hoping no crazy opportunities present themselves too soon.  Already have a nice group to learn on and play in a variety of settings.   

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

In my earlier life I had a '72 D-35 (S/N 295342 ! ) that I sold in about '79, preferring the better balanced LoPrinzi LR-25.  I still have the LoPrinzi.

The Martin 000-15S, the UMGF cult classic a while back, lasted about a year before getting sold.  The F-IV is much better sounding (to me).

The Martin D-18GE is a keeper, plain and simple.  Old time sound with the classic Martin tone.  I would only sell it if I played a D-18Authentic that I preferred.

The low end Martins are just that.  The -18 and -28 line of many guitars is tough to beat.  
Play it daily for best results.

I have an OM-21 from 95 that someone has played a LOT. It has that sound of an old Martin. Wonderful for fingerstyle in standard tuning. I recently got a Gibson AJ which I'm having a blast with learning flatpicking. It's rosewood but still has that Gibson sound. The LV-09 has neither, but whenever I play it I'm shocked with how good it sounds, in a different way, and how easy it plays. I tend to use it to learn difficult (for me) songs, altered tunings, experiments... Once in a while I play the normal stuff on it and realize I don't really need the rest, excep that they have "that" sound. If this make any sense.

I would like to get some other Martin one day but more in the Norman Blake vein, 12 fret D maybe. I have considered the SD-50 for this but the neck is too extreme.

QuoteMartin 000-15S... lasted about a year before getting sold.  The F-IV is much better sounding

I'm a Martin guy. I've played a few (and owned one) 000-15S Martin guitars. Nice, but not me. I played an all hog F-IV last night. A bit of omg in that guitar!! Very nice!  :thumbsup
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Quote from: prof_stack on November 21, 2011, 11:54:18 PM

The Martin 000-15S, the UMGF cult classic a while back, lasted about a year before getting sold.  The F-IV is much better sounding (to me).

I had the same experience - My Forum III and Forum IV both blow the Martin 000-15S out of the water.  I still have my 30+ year old D12-28, but it's up for sale right now...

I love Larrivees!    :nice guitar:
RW Skaggs, the tinman:

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart   Guitar" SJ; Osage Orange; Master Grade Italian Spruce; Inlay by Jimi Wingert   :D
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar + Italian double top
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl
Seagull Parlor in Nashville high tuning

My second "real" guitar (3rd overall) was a Martin D-18 (circa '67). I thought I had the 'grail' of the folk era but when I wanted to really learn guitar I started taking classical lessons and sold the '18. I never really bonded with the instrument even though it stayed with me for 15 years (my only guitar until the classical). After a few years I wanted both steel AND nylon so I found a jumbo Guild (maple) that I truly wish I still had. Got rid of that too and just stayed with classical. When I finally went back to steel strings I found these forums and started realizing how many people have multiple guitars. I thought "WHY NOT!?". After getting my Larrivee I wanted a stable-mate ala Martin and went to Elderly. Long story short: I only found ONE Martin (OM-28 Marquis) that really spoke to me but it was too expensive. THEN I played an OM-09!!! That messed me up because now I have a SCGC OM and a Collings OM; they're about equal to my L-03.

I've watched the marketing game that Martin is playing with their low end to high end guitars and don't approve. I had what should have been one of the best (but for me it wasn't) and have come to the conclusion that if I'm going to own a guitar it's going to be from a company that dedicates itself to musical instruments and not just sales.

Only and opinion but it's mine.
f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

The only Martin I ever owned was a D-15.  I had it for a few years and I was not totally satisfied with it and I tried a few different types of strings searching for the sound I wanted.  I finally sold it and bought my first Larrivee..  an OM-03R.    Since then I've acquired 3 more Larrivee guitars and I am totally satisfied with all of them.  I don't miss my Martin.   But, if I were to find a left-handed D-35 at a good price I might take another Martin plunge.  I've always been attracted to that model.    You don't see used lefties that often so I probably will remain a Larrivee loyalist.

Quote from: lmacmil on November 21, 2011, 04:43:51 PM
When you got your Martin did it cure your Martin envy?  

Yes.

IMO, Martin really only comes into its own once you get up to the -18 series and higher. The dovetail neck joint models start here and I think that makes a big difference. Ive never played a Martin from any of the lower series with the mortise and tenon neck joint that had me thinking that Id prefer it over a Larrivee.

My Martin OM-21 is a keeper, but I played a LOT of Martins before I found a worthy replacement for my Larrivee OM-03R. At similar price points to the -03 series Id take the Larrivee over the Martin every time.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Make no mistake about it. My experiences with Larrivee have been great. I love the parlor and L body but the Jumbo has a nice feel to it too.

Since this is a Martin question, I feel compelled to expand on my original post. I don't see any need to go beyond the Standard series but I also own a Martin Backpacker and an LXM (Little Martin) that I purchased for my son. It has more frequent flyer miles than me. It just went to Germany earlier this month for three years and during it's short life it has already been to Iraq, Kuwait, Washington State and Virginia. For $240, I would be hard pressed to find a guitar that is as durable and functional as it. When Martin found out the LXM was from my son in the military they sent me two T-shirts, four sets of strings and two packs of assorted flatpicks to send to my son.

When I toured the Martin Factory in early October, they told me they were about 9 months out on orders and when we walked by the warehouse, there were lots of empty shelves and during the tour everyone looked busy. I called a week before my tour and asked to spend some time with someone from the Custom Shop. The manager came out and tweaked my D-35 and we discussed a 12 fret Dread from the custom shop (This would be a standard model no longer in production but relatively easy to make). I will make my final decision after the first of the year. No pressure and lots of friendly advice is the norm and the staff at the factory, musuem and gift shop couldn't have been nicer. I now have business cards from six different employees and I would rank their customer service and responsiveness as excellent.

I have a D-16GT LTD which I bought on the first strum at the guitar store. I wasn't even planning to buy that day. But, I find the Martins with the forward shifted scalloped bracing very special, like the D-18v and HD-28v and I don't have any of those. I've never seen a GE but I'd love to try one.

teh,.

That is a great story.  I love the history that Martin represents.  It seems to me that Larrivee has positioned itself to continue long after Jean has gone.

I have a 93 Martin OM-21 that I traded away, for about a month before I traded a Larrivee plus cash to get it back. I have been very happy with this OM-21. It sounds so much richer, deeper and fuller than the newer Martins, let alone other brand OM's I have played. I believe they just have a better bracing pattern in these particular models than others in their own line up.
 But my F-III and F-IV are unique in their own way. One all mahogany and the other with Mahogany and an Italian Spruce top, both 12 fret necks and both having characteristics that Martin doesn't have.

I would say for gigging though the Martin OM-21 would be the best I have, for my style of play and for the resonance and volume produced.

Quote from: lmacmil on November 21, 2011, 04:43:51 PM
So my question for you current  Martin owners is:  when you got your Martin did it cure your Martin envy?  And for you former Martin owners, what made you sell it and what did you buy to replace it?

I've never really had Marin GAS. But I did trade one of my Forum III guitars for a Martin 00-16DBRE. Didn't bond and after about six weeks I traded the Martin for a Larrivee 00-70. Love the 00-70.

I wold like to try a 000-18GE one day...so I sort of keep an eye out for a good deal on one of those but there is no rush ....its not really gas just a curiosity after hearing so many good things about the GE series.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I love my Martins. The D35 Maury Mulhiesen is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. I have played a very good D45 Stephen Stills ( among many other fine guitars) to compare with. That said my LV10 is a very close second. Lots of us own several brands and models because they spoke to us for various reasons. If $$$ was available I would own several other brands of guitars as well.
1987 Takamine EN-10C
2008 Larrivee  LV-10
2010 Martin D35 Maury Muhlheison
2010 Martin D21- Special
2011 Martin HD-18V Custom
2012 Martin OMM John Renbourn

Quote from: Glennd on November 28, 2011, 08:53:27 AM
I love my Martins. The D35 Maury Mulhiesen is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. I have played a very good D45 Stephen Stills ( among many other fine guitars) to compare with. That said my LV10 is a very close second. Lots of us own several brands and models because they spoke to us for various reasons. If $$$ was available I would own several other brands of guitars as well.

Wow - you're one of the very few that have ever seen/played the D35 Maury Muehleisen. I wish I could play one. For those of you who don't know, Maury played with Jim Croce and was killed in that same plane crash back in 1973.

Dru: I bought a D-35 because of Maury. For a guy who plays alone or with one other guitarist, I think it works better.

To disprove my theory though Gordon Lightfoot is the main reason I ended up with a Martin as my first good guitar even though the featured guitar is a D-28 which is known primarily as a flatpicker's guitar I have only seen GL strum and finger pick his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffEY5qgM_s&feature=related

I feel like I stole the thread with my detour here but to the original posters question many fingerstyle/finger pickers prefer smaller guitars while the diehard pickers will tell you that you have to have a dread for flatpicking but with a little practice, I think you can play anything on anything and make it sound good. I use my OM all the time for strumming and stumbling through flatpicking but a flatpick has never touched the surface of my parlor.

P.S. I asked five of my co-workers (all under the age of 40) if they ever heard of Gordon. None of them have. I guess I am getting old but this music seems timeless to me. Red Shea was a fantastic lead guitar player (Note the dread) and Rick Haynes is still playing bass by his side 39 years later. I have the youtube links to both halves of the concert if anyone is interested in hearing the whole thing.