Wiki Page for Forum Guitars

Started by ST, December 19, 2009, 03:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm building a wiki page for the Forum Guitars. You can find it here:

Larrivée Forum Guitars

I started this because there are SO many places to look to find the details it seemed easier to have everything in one place.

It contains details that I've gathered from here and there, but mainly here. What I could not find were general notes about how each Forum guitar (I, II, III, IV) got started. If you know, or would like to write a little story about that I'd really appreciate it if you would go to the wiki page and add the details that you know. I am using the same software as wikipedia so if you have ever edited a page there, then you can make changes to the Larrivée Forum Guitars wiki page. If you don't want to do that, you can post here with anything you think I should add to the wiki page and I'll take care of the details.

You will find pictures from this forum and links back to the places where I found the pictures. If anyone has concerns about their photos being used this way - please let me know.

In case you are wondering - my site is non-commercial, not-for-profit and basically exists to make it easier for people to find things.

Thank you for any help and information that you can offer. I'm hoping this page will serve others who want to learn about these very special guitars.

Cool ST!  I looks good.  More free marketing for Larrivee too, because the forum members take the best pictures.  Lynda's FIII at the bottom is RW and IS byt the way, not Hog.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Thanks Ben,

Quote from: BenF on December 19, 2009, 04:22:54 PM
Cool ST!  I looks good.  More free marketing for Larrivee too, because the forum members take the best pictures.  Lynda's FIII at the bottom is RW and IS byt the way, not Hog.

I corrected that caption.

I really appreciate the input. Thanks again.

That looks great so far - thanks for setting it up! It might be interesting to find out (from Jim Holler) how many guitars are in the first order, since the 12-15 deadline has passed and those orders have closed.

I was going to add one edit, but you have to log in, and I'm lazy...but for the Forum I it might be helpful to some non-guitarists to know that 'OM' stands for 'Orchestra Model'.

Just a thought...but really nice job - reflects well on Larrivee and this forum!  :thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hi Mikeymac,

Quote from: Mikeymac on December 19, 2009, 04:45:29 PM
That looks great so far - thanks for setting it up! It might be interesting to find out (from Jim Holler) how many guitars are in the first order, since the 12-15 deadline has passed and those orders have closed.

I was going to add one edit, but you have to log in, and I'm lazy...but for the Forum I it might be helpful to some non-guitarists to know that 'OM' stands for 'Orchestra Model'.

Just a thought...but really nice job - reflects well on Larrivee and this forum!  :thumb

Thanks for the suggestion. I now have  links for the body styles (e.g. OM-Orchestra Model) and the link goes to detailed specifications of the sizes of the guitars.

Quote from: ST on December 19, 2009, 05:06:19 PM
To all -

If OM =Orchestra Model

What is OO ?

What is OOO?

I'm sure someone can add the true meaning BUT in my head I always assumed the OOO is parlor size and the OO is bigger than a parlor and smaller than an OM in real simple terms. A minor point on the Forum IV you have the 2nd run dated 2009 and not 2010. Not sure if this is any help as I'm sure you likely aware of this basic simple definition
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hi JOYCEfromNS,

Thanks for the explanation - I'm just wondering if "OO" or "OOO" are acronyms.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 19, 2009, 05:22:39 PM
I'm sure someone can add the true meaning BUT in my head I always assumed the OOO is parlor size and the OO is bigger than a parlor and smaller than an OM in real simple terms. A minor point on the Forum IV you have the 2nd run dated 2009 and not 2010. Not sure if this is any help as I'm sure you likely aware of this basic simple definition

Thanks for spotting that thing with the dates. Another example of me being incapable of proofreading my own stuff.

Found this summary of Martin sizes if it's the same as Larrivee it kinda makes my original post wrongL

Here's a list of the body sizes (because before October 1930 the body style and size was not stamped into the neck block above the serial number, so the body size and style number are hard to determine on pre 10/30 models):

Size   Frets   Width     Depth    Length    Year Introduced/Notes
----   -----   -----     -----    ------    ---------------------
O      12      13 1/2    4 3/16   19 1/8    1852
O      14      13 1/2    4 1/4    18 3/8    1934 (first year for 14 frets)
OO     12      14 1/8    4 1/16   19 5/8    1877
OO     14      14 5/16   4 1/8    18 7/8    1934 (first year for 14 frets)
OOO    12      15        4 1/16   20 7/16   1902
OOO    14      15        4 1/8    19 3/8    1934 (first year for 14 frets)
OM     14      15        4 1/8    19 3/8    1929 (discontinued 1934)
D      14      15 5/8    4 7/8    20        1934

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I don't believe they are acronyms.  The 00 pronounced "double o" as in  the letter o not zero. same thin g for the o and the triple o. etc
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 19, 2009, 06:22:25 PM
The 00 pronounced "double o" as in  the letter o not zero.

In the Martin world (the guys who developed many of these body sizes...its pronounced...double-ought or triple-ought...the old fashioned way of saying "0" (oh)
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

So like double out seven?

Never mind.

Thanks for the input folks. I won't worry about it. I was just trying to be consistent for this

Body Styles  section of my Larrivée wiki page.

Quote from: ST on December 19, 2009, 03:59:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm building a wiki page for the Forum Guitars. You can find it here:

Sure was surprised to look at the page and see my photographs on the front page....

:?
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Hi Dotneck,

Quote from: Dotneck on December 19, 2009, 10:21:54 PM
Sure was surprised to look at the page and see my photographs on the front page....

:?

If that's a problem, I can certainly remove the pictures. The history of the Forum I guitars goes back a ways and I couldn't find any pictures, but you recently mentioned that there were pictures of a Forum I in the for sale section.

As I mentioned in the lead post, there are links from all the images back to the source: this forum.  And if anyone has concerns about the pictures I'll remove them but I hope you will let me keep them there.

This is basically an attempt to have a simple reference page for all the Forum guitars, as a service for Larrivée owners and visitors to this forum.

Are we okay?

Excellent work ST - I think getting all this data together on a wiki page is going to be of great benefit to alot of people in the future.

I can't see anything that I can really add to it at this point -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

ST
           Maybe a brief history of JCL as a Luthier would be appropriate, or a paragraph or so with a link to the Larrivee site.
           Also the F-III was an out of production LS, so an explanation of the LS size would benefit the Martin,Taylor,Gibson owners who may still have never heard of Larrivee.
           The Martin 00,000 and OM sizes are generally smaller than Larrivee sizes. Even the LSV-11 and other Larrivee models "grew" in size. So we requested that the F-III  LS-03 be made to the original Larrivee specs.
           There is a F-III specs. thread that Randy posted as the order thread was going on.
As well as the Facebook "build"with pictures and details added by John Larrivee Jr.
   Also Photomatt made a high quality "factory tour"album. I'm not sure about linking that one, but it is very high in quality.
             We are hoping John Jr. may do another Facebook build thread with the F-IV.

Hi Danny,

Thanks!

I have another wiki page for general Larrivée information Larrivée Guitars. This includes details of the Larrivée  Body Styles.

The Forum Guitars wiki page is automatically included in the  Larrivée Guitars page.

Quote from: dependan on December 20, 2009, 06:51:08 AM
ST
           Maybe a brief history of JCL as a Luthier would be appropriate, or a paragraph or so with a link to the Larrivee site.
There are links to information about JCL in the Larrivée Guitars page.
           Also the F-III was an out of production LS, so an explanation of the LS size would benefit the Martin,Taylor,Gibson owners who may still have never heard of Larrivee.

In the specifications for the Forum III there is a link to the LS - Larrivée Small Body specifications
           The Martin 00,000 and OM sizes are generally smaller than Larrivee sizes. Even the LSV-11 and other Larrivee models "grew" in size. So we requested that the F-III  LS-03 be made to the original Larrivee specs.
The general Larrivée information Larrivée Guitars includes details of the Larrivée  Body Styles.
           There is a F-III specs. thread that Randy posted as the order thread was going on.
I didn't notice this one while I was hunting around today. Can you help me find it?
As well as the Facebook "build"with pictures and details added by John Larrivee Jr.
I found this and have added links to these pages - thanks!
   Also Photomatt made a high quality "factory tour"album. I'm not sure about linking that one, but it is very high in quality.
Couldn't find this one but I did find the Forum thread that was dedicated to pictures of the tour and I have added a link to that.

We are hoping John Jr. may do another Facebook build thread with the F-IV.

If he does I'll add a link to it in the wiki page.

Thanks for all the suggestions Danny

To all

The reason I put this in a wiki page is so that anyone can contribute to the page.

Update - I found Photomat's online album and have added  link to it.

Here is a link to the wiki page section that has
Forum III Discussions and Links

edit: updated link

Here is a link to a post where I copied Randy's original post. (couldn't find Randy's)

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=28458.msg260465#msg260465

Thanks Danny

Quote from: dependan on December 20, 2009, 07:42:56 AM
              Here is a link to a post where I copied Randy's original post. (couldn't find Randy's)

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=28458.msg260465#msg260465

I have updated the Forum III Specifications to include the information in your post.

Thank you.