It's so hard to sell a guitar these days...

Started by Mikeymac, October 13, 2016, 04:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: morrow22 on November 01, 2016, 05:06:18 AM
 But I will have to say, if I have to have a problem...... too many guitars is not a bad one to have  :thumbsup

True, but truth be told, I have way more guitars than I can play.

The guitar that gets more play time than anything is my O-01 parlor from 1999.  It's just the right size for playing while sitting at the computer, or when writing new songs.     Now I certainly wouldn't mind upgrading to a P-03 since the original 1 11/16" nut is a bit tight on that short scale, but I doubt I could sell it for a 1/3rd the price of an -03.

After that the guitar that gets the most play time is my OM-03R (still my favorite guitar after 18 years) or my Rainsong Shorty, which I always take when I play out.  Nothing like carbon fiber for staying in tune.  I can go from Phoenix to San Diego and it's still dead on.

I really never play my Forum-III, or my D-03R-12, or Guild F-212.  If I want to play 12 I play the Taylor or Rainsong instead.  And as much as I like my Breedlove C20/SR it doesn't do anything that the OM-03R does not do.

And then the wife has several as well...

And all those wooden guitars need maintenance, even if it is just filling the humidifiers every couple of weeks. 

So it's less about "needing to sell" than "could use some room".  I'd love a little 00 Larrivee or Martin to add to the collection, but one of those other guitars needs to go first.

Quote from: AZLiberty on November 06, 2016, 12:14:50 PM
True, but truth be told, I have way more guitars than I can play.

The guitar that gets more play time than anything is my O-01 parlor from 1999.  It's just the right size for playing while sitting at the computer, or when writing new songs.     Now I certainly wouldn't mind upgrading to a P-03 since the original 1 11/16" nut is a bit tight on that short scale, but I doubt I could sell it for a 1/3rd the price of an -03.

After that the guitar that gets the most play time is my OM-03R (still my favorite guitar after 18 years) or my Rainsong Shorty, which I always take when I play out.  Nothing like carbon fiber for staying in tune.  I can go from Phoenix to San Diego and it's still dead on.

I really never play my Forum-III, or my D-03R-12, or Guild F-212.  If I want to play 12 I play the Taylor or Rainsong instead.  And as much as I like my Breedlove C20/SR it doesn't do anything that the OM-03R does not do.

And then the wife has several as well...

And all those wooden guitars need maintenance, even if it is just filling the humidifiers every couple of weeks. 

So it's less about "needing to sell" than "could use some room".  I'd love a little 00 Larrivee or Martin to add to the collection, but one of those other guitars needs to go first.

Your situation reflects mine very closely.  Different specific guitar models, but same scenario.  I have accumulated more guitars in total over time and the number never seems to decrease, only increase.  I just can't resist a "good deal" whether or not I end up playing a new acquisition that much.  I have at least a half dozen or more guitars that I could easily do without right now.  Egads, I've become a guitar hoarder.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

anything will sell for the right price, in the right market.

I was told, in my neck of the woods, real estate was bad.
I sold my house for close to asking with no difficulties.

Within the past 3 weeks I have sold two very lovely Larrivee guitars for full asking price, with the buyer paying shipping and fees.

Niether guitar was outrageously priced. Own fact both were priced a tad higher than similar guitars on the market.
As a Canadian, selling for USD is an added 30% of sale price.
Mind you buying guitars (in USD) is an added 30% of sale price as well. (plus an extra 15% tax/duty to get to my country).

I will concur, it's a buyers market for all the aforesaid reasons.
I guess we just wait until some-one wants our particular guitar....house, car, what ever...... :arrow
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Generally speaking, it's been pretty much the case for some time now that you sell for about half what you paid unless it's a very desirable Martin model or a Froggy Bottom. Martin adirondack top 00's and any Martin HD still seem to fetch a good price. Larrivee's have a harder time in the used marketplace. I really don't know about other makes.

I think a lot of the problem is that there is so much fraud (people misrepresenting what they have). I have traded for two guitars and have been pleased with both transactions. I bought my Collings on e-bay at the "buy it now" price and feel that I bought it at the right price. My Larrivee was on consignment at Elderly and I paid the asking price (again, I'm satisfied with the purchase). My Schenk was purchased brand new and, again, I got what I wanted. If you want a bargain, go to a pawn shop; if you want a guitar, step up and pay the price for a good one. Make sure your not getting scammed, of course, but don't low-ball for a good one.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 13, 2016, 05:15:17 PM
50% is actually a pretty good price unless you have a vintage instrument. Mostly you won't even get an offer that you wouldn't laugh at. My favorite is ... "Will you take $XXX.00 ... CASH?" I usually answer, "Well I was hoping for magic beans ..."  :laughin:     
Yeah, I hate it when people on Craigslist waste my time texting me, asking if I will take half what I'm asking for a guitar, especially since its usually already half what I paid for it!  And then they want you to deliver it to them!  I always swear I'll burn them first.