Another Martin coming my way...what's wrong with me?

Started by Mikeymac, January 10, 2017, 11:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This has been quite a journey into Martin land after being such a big Larrivee fan for over 20 years.

First was a new 2015 D-35/50 (50th Anniversary Standard model - basically a regular D-35 made in 2015, so it gets a special sticker). Very nice guitar with balanced tone (for a dread) and strong trebles up the neck.

Then I recently found a used left-handed 2012 D-18 (a popular redesign of that model) that has moved into the "top two" slots with my '92 Larrivee OM-05. Two mahogany guitars that both sound incredible for different reasons...but both keepers; they're the two I'd grab if the house was on fire.

I recently got bit by the small/folk/nylon string bug, and found a nice '68 00-16C (spruce top/hog back and sides, minimal trim, gloss top, satin b/s - somewhat equivalent to an 02 level Larrivee).  I've listened to quite a few sound clips on YouTube by folks playing these for finger style, and they're very nice - balanced without the bass boom of some standard classical, and easy to play on the couch. I should have it sometime next week. Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXVhuHTAels

And that's not all...(!)

I'm also gassing to have a custom Martin built - it would be a 0000-18 (their largest body - 16" across the lower bout, but with a narrower waist like a Larrivee) with d-18 woods/trim/neck specs/hardware. I haven't priced it yet, so I'm not in shock yet.  And besides, this one may have to wait if the Larrivee 50th Annie. trips my GAS trigger.

Yes, I'll be needing to sell some things soon...

...anyone need a kidney?   :whistling:

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Everyone should own at least one Martin and one nylon string guitar :)

Quote from: Strings4Him on January 11, 2017, 10:35:50 AM

Well, it only took until I was 58 to own my first Martin - now suddenly I'm going to have three!

I do have two other nylon strings currently, but neither gets played much for various reasons. I need to sell both (along with some other guitars) - I just find it very time consuming to take pictures, post ads and deal with the negotiating, packing, shipping etc. in order to move stuff along.

I just took my own thread off topic...  :rolleye:

There's nothing wrong with you, there are lots of great guitars out there.  I would buy a Martin if I could find a great one, but that hasn't happened yet.  Oh, I have played a few good ones, but they were expensive pre-war models.  No way I am going to drop $20-30K on one guitar.  But the new Martins I have played just don't do it for me.  I recently played a CS21-11 at a local Bay Area shop.  It was a special Madagascar model and I was ready to be impressed, but it was uninspiring.  Of course my JCL 40th Anniversary and my D10 Brazilian are tough competition for any guitar.  Even my Goodall takes back seat to the Brazilian. 

Enjoy those Martins, and the Larrivees. :nana_guitar
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

I once almost bought a Martin 00016C many many years ago.There are maybe 5 or 6 Martins I would own but never had the dime to do so.I once had a Martin D16 that was nice but I gave it to Pastour Chuck to auction off during his church people were spending time in N.O. helping after the storm.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Strings4Him on January 11, 2017, 10:35:50 AM

And a baritone. Oh and a mandolin ... and a good ukulele.  :laughin:

I've never owned a Martin but think they are great.  My choices when I bought my Larrivee were between a wonderful D16GT and my D03-BW.  I chose the road less traveled by and don't regret it.  But I'd still like to own a nice Martin someday.

Ive owned a couple of Martins but Ithink they are very overpriced
but my D03r compares vry nicely to  a Martin d28,(which I ve always wanted}
and my new D03 is very nice compared to many mahogany guitars,
but no, theres notheing wrong with you
good luck
David

Quote from: DaveyO on January 13, 2017, 05:07:12 PM

Ive owned a couple of Martins but Ithink they are very overpriced

Larrivee D-05 - MSRP $2798
Martin D-18 - MSRP $3099

They're not that far apart. And guess which one will have a better resale value on the used market (that didn't used to be a concern to me, but more recently it is).

I just picked up a left-handed 2012 Martin D-18 in mint condition with an upgraded case for $1,400. So there are bargains out there...these usually sell used for $1500-1800 used. 

I'd love to bring home a Martin for a full week and do an honest comparison with what I already have.  A 00-28V and an OM-21 would be nice.  And then I'd like to return them if they are not worth the money.

FWIW, no affiliation but Maury's Music in PA makes a Custom 0000-18 and the price is pretty reasonable. Gruhn Guitars also gets a custom run made. I'm confident you could order a left handed model without an upcharge. Would be less expensive than ordering your own custom through a dealer.

I have a Custom 000-12 fret w/ 3 piece mahogany back and picked it up 13 months ago today. I absolutely love it.

Description of 000-18 from Maury's web page
All of our Martin 0000-18 Custom guitars are brand new, factory-fresh, come with a Martin hardshell case and Martin Lifetime Warranty.

The 0000-18 Custom was built to Maury's specifications to be your go-to guitar.  It's long scale, combined with the tight waist and large lower bout of an M sized body make the 0000-18 Custom a clear, punchy guitar with clear highs and well defined lows that will hold it's own in any situation.  The perfect instrument for those looking for the balance and clarity of an OM combined with the punch of a larger body.  Made in very limited quantities, this unique guitar has a place in any player's collection. "Custom" is stamped on the neckblock.

Maury's Music thoroughly inspects every guitar before it ships.  We can even set it up to your specs upon request!  Simply choose between "Factory Setup" or "Custom Setup" when placing your order.  Click here for more details.

Please note:  Adding a guitar pickup or strap button to this model will disqualify it from our return policy and cannot be returned after these upgrades are added.  Upgrade prices below include installation; these fees are non-refundable.

Yes, I looked at those 0000-18's on Maury's website, I also e-mailed Gruhn's about their Custom M-18 (or whatever it is). Gruhn's has never done a lefty of that model. Too bad, because it's so close to the specs I want, it would have worked for me. The one on Maury's site has several specs I'd want changed (like the clunky Grover tuners for open geared ones), and it would be at least a 6-month wait from them.

(Gruhn's did tell me they could do a custom lefty order of theirs for me, but it would have to be paid in full up front, and no returns - the guitar you get is the guitar you get - even if you don't like the woods Martin picks out. I realize this is probably true of any custom, but having to pay the full amount up from kind of irks me... my local dealer doesn't ask for that.)

So I might as well order through my local dealer and get exactly the guitar I want, even if it's going to take six months or more. I know they will treat me right on price, and I'd rather give them the business. I'll have to wait a few months to order (we'll see what the Larrivee 50th Anniversary options package looks like - I might want to add that to an L-10 and really break the bank!).

Thanks for the heads up!  :thumb

There is nothing wrong with you Mikey, Martin does that to you, that's all. And that Martin sound.........Congrats on your purchases. That 2012 D-18 is a wonderful guitar for the money. I think that 0000-18 will be just wonderful, I can't wait to hear your review if you do go ahead with it. There is some great reviews on the UMGF about it. Hope it works out for you.

Years ago, while touring, I had both the 0000 models (original issues) one had a 2 piece back, the other had a 3 piece back and binding on the fingerboard.

I've always been a believer in the "rosewood for live work, mahogany for studio work" rule of thumb,

so i went looking for the 0000 (M36) in Mahogany.

I found it, and then some, in the most wonderful Martin 0000 SC (Shawn Colvin), thats when they were doing regular "artist" signature guitars .
And WHAT a beauty it was, mahogany, 3 piece back with the middle strip being rosewood, and the headstock plate was the same patter, gold hardware ( I did put ebony buttons on the tuners), and i just loved that guitar.

I did let it go, it was number 68 (i think) of 120 made, signed by both Shawn (always been a fan) and CF Martin.

worth looking for instead of having them make you one.....

So why did I sell it?
something to do with the forward bracing (as I was told) and the mahogany, so they when you leaned a bit into the guitar i\the sound got distorted and quite mushy.

In retrospect, of course I could just have a beautiful guitar that I didn't need to lean on, but, as I recall, also, a very persuasive and good friend with a fat wallet, finally broke me.....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on April 05, 2017, 11:21:22 PM

worth looking for instead of having them make you one.....

And I would do that, except I'm left-handed and play lefty, so it will probably mean going the Custom Shop route... I am most interested in a mahogany 0000, but if I found a lefty M-36, and the price was right, I'd learn to be happy with that.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 11, 2017, 10:07:22 PM
And a baritone. Oh and a mandolin ... and a good ukulele.  :laughin:
Spider Bridge wood resonator and Steel, Biscuit, National. 
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.