LV-o3 string question

Started by strum, May 18, 2015, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just purchased this guitar ..its a 2003 cutaway model and I have to say. After owning many guitars in my life ,this one is a keeper.
  I looked at Larrivee's web site and see that it came with lite gauge strings but when I emailed Larrivee for some info they said their currently using EXP17 mediums.
  what string gauges are you guys using ?

Hello Strum. Check out the EJ24's with a couple  :donut2  :donut
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I use heavies on my Larrivee's ,14-58.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

:donut  :donut2  :donut  :donut2    :cop: check out the rules about donuts in the forum rules   :cop:

Are you a strummer only????  Lots of fingerpickers like lights or custom lights....  What have you been using???

BobW...  :guitar

I like 26's (custom lights .011-.052) for both flat picking and strumming...
George

If you mostly play with a pick and are a strummer, try any medium gauge PB's from standard brands.  If you are a finger-picker try light gauge PB strings from the same standard brands.  Beyond that, I wouldn't get too obsessed about it.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on May 19, 2015, 02:03:35 AM
If you mostly play with a pick and are a strummer, try any medium gauge PB's from standard brands.  If you are a finger-picker try light gauge PB strings from the same standard brands.  Beyond that, I wouldn't get too obsessed about it.

Much wisdom here.  I use PB lights, never learned how to hold a flatpick.

The perfect "string suggestion" thread!  Everything from heavies to lights, including a custom set!   :roll

And nobody's wrong!

There is a company called Webstrings.com.  They sell cheap strings that (in my hands) sound good, but don't last long at all.  When I get a new (or new to me) guitar, I usually buy several sets (med and light in PB and 80/20).  I try each set for a few days or a week and figure out what gauge and material works best on a given guitar for me.  Then I go with John Pearse in that gauge and material. 

There is a lot to be said for the idea of not over thinking things.  Every once in a while I find a guitar that sounds better with 80/20's, but the overwhelming majority of 25.5" scale guitars end up with PB lights for me.  I prefer Pearse, but for the most part any non-coated string works.

Ed

:donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut :donut
sorry didnt know about the d nuts :wink:
thanks guys ..im a little bit of a strummer and add some finger style at times..
ill try some different gauges but so far I can see I like the mediums just fine.
digging the guitar but Im going to have to take it to my tech to get some fret, nut and saddle work done.

When i want my L to be more dread like, full bass, loud etc. I use 13's
When I want the L to sound more like an OM, like when I want more contrast of weight with my Martin Dread, I use12's

I like DR Rares on all of my Larrivee's, and also  Sunbeams. On my large body gits. Always PB for color, but My new fav are the Monels

I have used Pearse, D'Addario EJ 16 and 17, Red Brand, etc, amd they are all fine.i like the  mellower types best.

I am almost exclusively a finger player or strum with my nails.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

12 to 54 Bronze 80/20 strings work for me on my Larrivee Guitars.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K