Best guitar you've ever played?

Started by J. Hunter, October 06, 2009, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was working in a local music store, I was maybe 19 or 20, and we delivered a Yamaha Clavinova (midi gear from the late 80's) to this family's house and the guy had a 1941 D-18.  Small cracks everywhere, finish worn off, in dire need of a neck reset but one open E chord later I knew that it sounded better than anything we had back at the store....exponentially better!  

I was at a local shop a couple of years ago and they had a 1954 J-45...again, one open E chord later...and maybe about 15 min of playing around..Wow!

Best?  The FIII I have now is outstanding.  I couldn't ask for better but there are all sorts of guitars out there.   :whistling:

I forgot to mention that that MARTIN 0-45S STEPHEN STILLS LIMITED EDITION GUITAR & CASE are advertised at almost 13,000 Dollars!!!

I still love my Larrivees. I definitely don't notice a 12,000 dollar difference in sound or playability. Larrivees rock for the best playing guitar that I can still afford--heck I couldn't afford not to have one or two now! It is the best therapy that I have found!  :nana_guitar
Larrivee L_03RE
Larrivee OM_03R
PRS Soapbar
Boneyard Les Paul
Custom Strat

"It will be a great day when the schools get all the money that they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber."
                  --Bumper Sticker

Best guitar ... I'd say my Eichelbaum.  I've played and owned a lot of high end guitars, but my Eichelbaum is still here after 4 years.  My D-18 is a good all round guitar for the shop.  I was gassing for a while and thinking of letting the D-18 go and was kind of glad it slide below the radar and I've spent quite a bit of time playing it and getting to know/bond with it. My first real guitar was a Larrivee L-03R that is long gone, but still holds a special place in the heart.  

I guess my answer would be whatever guitar I'm playing  :nana_guitar
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Martin D-35-12.  Everything a 12 should be and then some.

How could I forget??!! I played and fell in love with a Morgan Grand Concert Sitka over Magogany which swept me away. That guitar was the lightest I ever picked up - probably weighed less than the strings.. :winkin:
I have to say that I love my Lav's and the other two as well.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Santa cruz finger style model.... Incredible....  :nice guitar:

Quote from: Denis on October 07, 2009, 05:16:42 PM

Best?  The FIII I have now is outstanding.  I couldn't ask for better but there are all sorts of guitars out there.   :whistling:

I just have to agree on the F-III I have. But as the topic says "Best ever "played"            My F-III has a tone that is really high end sounding. But the 0-45s Stephen Stills just kinda melts you in your tracks. But as has been said it's only 13K-14K more than I paid for my F-III. (I think they list near 15K)

And of course, as we all know, the more you pay for a guitar, the better it is. Oddly enough, even when it's made by a master luthier with the same quality of materials, using the same constuction techniques. Passing strange that. Must be the lack of a pickguard.     

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 08, 2009, 12:37:01 PM
And of course, as we all know, the more you pay for a guitar, the better it is. Oddly enough, even when it's made by a master luthier with the same quality of materials, using the same construction techniques. Passing strange that. Must be the lack of a pickguard.     

Duck, perhaps your '75 isn't an equivalent comparison to a newer mass produced L? I don't claim to know much about Larrivee's history, but I think in '75 it was entirely possible that it was built solely by Jean and is in many regards more analogous to a different class of instrument than todays L. It would be neat to compare the top thickness, finish thickness and type, bracing thickness, etc to a new off the assembly line L.

Best guitar I ever played was an unknown brand, with the back partly made of fibreglass because it had been smashed over a table during a break in. Action was about 2 inches at the 12th fret, sound was dull and thuddy, intonation was awful and it wouldn't stay in tune.

I wouldn't be on this forum or making music if I'd never played it though.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 08, 2009, 12:37:01 PM
And of course, as we all know, the more you pay for a guitar, the better it is. Oddly enough, even when it's made by a master luthier with the same quality of materials, using the same constuction techniques. Passing strange that. Must be the lack of a pickguard.     
There is no way that I believe the more you pay the better the guitar. Now the lack of a pickguard may just be the secret.

Quote from: dependan on October 08, 2009, 01:35:35 PM
               There is no way that I believe the more you pay the better the guitar. Now the lack of a pickguard may just be the secret.

Well, there you go.   :laughin:

Wow. By FAR it was my friend's Santa Cruz 000. Holy smokes, it plays itself. 12 fret, slothead, pretty as a picture, and the notes LEAP out of it. I found my hand moving on the fretboard in strange and magical ways as if a spirit were playing it through me.

I got scared and put it down. It was like a musical Ouija board. Yikes, what a great guitar.

Willie

Duck the first guitarI posted is a Larrivee and I have to say that I've never meant a Larrivee I didn't want to take home and hugg them and squeeze them and make them mine :drool:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 08, 2009, 06:30:16 PM
Duck the first guitarI posted is a Larrivee and I have to say that I've never meant a Larrivee I didn't want to take home and hugg them and squeeze them and make them mine :drool:

There was a commercial playing a while back, think it was about beer, that had the awkward theme of "Those that like them, like them quite a lot" or something like that. That's about right though.     

If there was a best I would only own 1. Otherwise the one that happens to be in my hand- so last night it would be a Fender Strat and a Gretsch g6120-1960 Nashville the night before my 000-50 and my Kalamazoo.

The Dude abides.

Hands-down it was any one of several custom-built OM's made by an independent luthier. I've played a few and have trouble deciding which I like better. I played one in Madagascar rosewood with a sitka top and another in "wenge" (never heard of it before but it looks like rosewood but sounds like koa to me) with a lutz spruce top. Unfortunately I can't afford any one of them at this time and I'm worried that if I did manage to sneak one home my kids would destroy it - they're really lightly-built.

FWIW I do prefer the necks on my Larrivée though. It's all I've known for the past few years. My OM-03R plays like butter and the satin neck has adjusted to my grasp but a gloss neck doesn't seem to be able to.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Three guitars stand out for me. There was a Collings C-10 at the Podium in Minneapolis--simply bliss, but out of my comfort zone for price. A House OM at Paramount Guitars, also out of my comfort zone. Finally, there's my own OM-01, which is the third best acoustic I've ever played--happily in my comfort zone for price and mine for nearly six years.
Larrivée OM-01
Avalon A201
Silver Creek T-160
LAG T66D
Douglas WF165

Quote from: drmar120 on October 16, 2009, 10:11:09 AM
Three guitars stand out for me. There was a Collings C-10 at the Podium in Minneapolis--simply bliss, but out of my comfort zone for price. A House OM at Paramount Guitars, also out of my comfort zone. Finally, there's my own OM-01, which is the third best acoustic I've ever played--happily in my comfort zone for price and mine for nearly six years.
That's really cool. I have thought that an OM-01 may be more to my liking than the newer OM's. But I have'nt had the chance to play one yet.

The Larrivee D-09BZ I have may be the best sounding guitar I've ever played enough to form that judgement. My new 000-60BZ is close.

A Ryan I played briefly was angelic, and a friend's Collings dread is outstanding.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519