Played a Larrivee today

Started by mrcolin2u, March 24, 2024, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was in a guitar center today and played a bunch of different acoustics .
There was one used Larrivee on the wall , it was a Tommy Emmanuel signature model with a cutaway .
To my ears it was the best sounding guitar that I played , just perfect for finger style or strumming.
Only thing that put me off was a very low saddle , almost down to the bridge on the high e string. It did play well though, no buzzing but I like to see a bit more saddle saddle showing.
I think I need a Larrivee in my life .
I need an acoustic !!!

G&L Legacy

Here, let me help you: YOU NEED A LARRIVEE IN YOUR LIFE.  :thumb

I believe the Tommy model is known for its very low action, just how he likes it on his guitar. As long as it doesn't buzz and you like the tone, I wouldn't worry about it. You can also always get a replacement saddle for cheap. You should consider buying that C-03TE.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

They generally don't have low saddles from the factory. Could have been set up by the shop for easy playing.

Definitely check out the brand. They really give a lot for the money and have an amazing, balanced tone. Not shrill, not muddy. Very articulate.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I bet there was only 1mm saddle at the high e string . No way would I buy that guitar as good as it sounded and the playability was very good as well. Raising the saddle would raise the action , then the playability would not be nowhere near as good.
I need an acoustic !!!

G&L Legacy

Quote from: mrcolin2u on March 24, 2024, 07:58:49 PMI bet there was only 1mm saddle at the high e string . No way would I buy that guitar as good as it sounded and the playability was very good as well. Raising the saddle would raise the action , then the playability would not be nowhere near as good.
There's sometimes other factors. If the neck relief adjusted after shipping and they set the saddle without adjusting the rod, you can end up with that. I say that because it's unlikely Larrivee would ship an instrument like that. I don't say that as a fanboy, I'm pretty critical and I've said many times their default action is on the high side. They are very carful about things like neck angle. I've not seen a problem with neck angle like with some Martins and Taylors though.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.