Replacing Sd-60 Slothead Tuners

Started by fretfile, August 26, 2020, 07:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have never liked the Ping tuners my slothead guitar had, so I found a post that said that Gotoh 3 on a plate would be a direct drop in. I could only find them at LMI, but they were extremely fast in spite of the Calif. fires. I installed them today, no small feat for someone as mechanically challenged as myself.
After a few drops of Tri flow, I was extremely pleased with these tuners and especially the aesthetics! I would post a picture but I can't get the file to attach.

I'm a big fan of Gotoh tuners. I have them on my two Larrivee's and really enjoy the smooth lag-free 18:1 tuning action they have.

But I couldn't find Gotoh slothead tuners for my Taylor when I got fed up with the slopply lag the factory tuners had. I could be wrong but they don't offer 18:1 for slotheads so I got a nice set of Schaller's instead from a french eBay vendor. Installation was a breeze as they dropped right in. My only qualm with them is that the tuning pegs fit into the bare wood of the headstock when I was thinking some kind of metal bushing would be better. I get a creaking noise from time to time which I interpret as the peg binding inside the headstock hole.

1st world problems, eh? I guess I'll find a way to cope <grin> they still tune nicely.

Congrats on your purchase!
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist