Yamaha Red Label Guitars

Started by ducktrapper, August 30, 2021, 10:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I always thought when folk speak of "red labels" they're referring to the Japanese Yamahas from the 70s.  The new ones are knock-offs, though some are prob fine guitars.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on August 19, 2023, 10:33:37 AMI always thought when folk speak of "red labels" they're referring to the Japanese Yamahas from the 70s.  The new ones are knock-offs, though some are prob fine guitars.

Yes. The new ones are probably better but a lot more dough. Solid wood now. The originals in the late 60's/early 70's were also known as poor man's Martins. All laminate but very nice guitars. I paid $150 Cdn for the first one in 1971. Stupidly sold it and ended up buying another for three times as much. I like it a lot. 

While not a Red Label, I recently picked up a left-handed '79 or '80 FG335 all laminate Yamaha that sounds so much better than it should. Bought it unplayed/unheard from Dave's Guitar Shop/LaCrosse for $150 + $20 shipping (no case or bag). Figured it was a worthwhile gamble, and I'm very happy - very surprised!

The action was on the verge of too high, so the repair guy suggested lowering/shaving down the bridge a bit - and it worked. I replaced the saddle with a bone Martin style compensated saddle and also replaced the nut with a bone one and redid the string spacing more to my liking. Love, love, LOVE the neck shape on this guitar! Fills my hand nicely and doesn't cause fatigue.

There's really only one thing I'd change if I could, and that would be to widen the string spacing at the saddle; it's just under two inches, so it's very tight for fingerstyle (maybe not for smaller Japanese hands?), okay for strumming and flatpicking. Would be great if it could be 2 1/4" or even 2 1/8" like old Martin dreads, but I manage.

The tone is very similar to a 2008 Martin D-28 I have - but the Yamaha has a little more punch in the midrange - what some players call "cut"... it does cut better than the D-28. The treble B and E strings sound thick and not at all twangy. The low E string has less bass than the D-28, but it's still fine...is this really an all laminate guitar? Blindfolded, I wouldn't believe it!

Also put on a set of Schertler open back tuners I had sitting in a box (smoothest tuners I've every found!). With the $75 for the bridge work, it's the best $225 I've spend in a long time!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

That's a fantastic price!  Well done. :thumbsup
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R