Forum Guitar discussion

Started by Randy_R, November 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

can anybody post a picture of back of the headstock??
I have some gotoh's running around in the house.. they are gold... but it'll do the job...
however the screw holes are located at 45 degree angled.(i dont know if that makes any sense?)

Jeffrey

Quote from: strawintogold on January 03, 2009, 06:36:54 PM
I think I got three sets of Schaller Gotoh (black) tuners for about $100 from Stew Mac The more you buy the more you save. Those will be the first things I change on my guitar. I really don't like the shiny chrome nor do I like the cheap feel of the Pings. I think I said it somewhere else, when I first installed them I did so for looks. But, I was pretty impressed by how much more responsive they are than the Pings I have.

holly

holly... or anybody... what about the extra screw in the stock Larrivee tuners... will that not leave a hole when you replace tuners?  I know it won't add anything to the sound at least to my ears... but since we're talking extras and this might be my last git for a while  :roll  (like that's true... I do want to believe it though)...  might as well dream with you folks who have tinkered with your gits.

ricky

Quote from: es-335 on January 03, 2009, 06:40:06 PM
I'll do the tuners, if needed..

But I will keep it stock.. maybe bone nut..  but bone saddle might be too warm sounding for a all hog guitar.. but we will see..
I had put in a bone saddle, but it sounded too warm for my taste, so I ended up going back to tusq..
My F1 hogtop came w/ bone, and the tone is  :+1:  Also, my 000-15s had tusc and sounded great but when I put in a bone saddle it sounded  :+1:  As for the nut, I don't think you will find a difference on bone vs. tusc until your original nut gets worn down a bit from normal usage.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 03, 2009, 06:41:09 PM
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Midsize_510_Tuners_with_Metal_Knobs.html

Here's the link with all the information.  As far as extra holes, I'm not sure what you mean.  These will pop right in, no extra holes, use the same holes already drilled.  I am installing them myself, I figured that no such requests would be granted at Larrivee.  

Okay... no extra holes.  I was just looking at my Taylor tuners (no visible screws)
and my OO-09 Larrivee tuners and saw the screw - so that would be covered when you replace it with Gotoh 510s.

Thanks for answering my question.

ricky

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 03, 2009, 06:43:47 PM
holly... or anybody... what about the extra screw in the stock Larrivee tuners... will that not leave a hole when you replace tuners?  I know it won't add anything to the sound at least to my ears... but since we're talking extras and this might be my last git for a while  :roll  (like that's true... I do want to believe it though)...  might as well dream with you folks who have tinkered with your gits.

ricky

Stock Larrivee tuners have just one hole and it's in the same location as the hole for the Gotoh 510's.  Stock Larrivee tuners do not have 2 holes for each tuner.  You will use the same holes for 510's.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 03, 2009, 06:47:19 PM
Stock Larrivee tuners have just one hole and it's in the same location as the hole for the Gotoh 510's.  Stock Larrivee tuners do not have 2 holes for each tuner.  You will use the same holes for 510's.

Yuppers. Just clicked the link and saw the Gotoh pictures in the Stew Mac website.

Thanks so much.     So Gotoh tuners... pure aesthetics?  Aside from the obvious beauty of these... any other benefits?  Does it keep the git in tune longer than stock ones?

ricky

Quote from: es-335 on January 03, 2009, 06:43:01 PM
can anybody post a picture of back of the headstock??
I have some gotoh's running around in the house.. they are gold... but it'll do the job...
however the screw holes are located at 45 degree angled.(i dont know if that makes any sense?)

Those will for for sure.  :thumb
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Thanks!  :donut :donut Good to know  :bgrin:

I have gold ones just running around in the house  :bgrin:

It won't look as good as the silver ones.. but o well :D

Edit............. it turns out that my tuners are like this
I got my hopes up too quick  :crying:

Jeffrey

Quote from: rpm60912 on January 03, 2009, 06:50:24 PM
Yuppers. Just clicked the link and saw the Gotoh pictures in the Stew Mac website.

Thanks so much.     So Gotoh tuners... pure aesthetics?  Aside from the obvious beauty of these... any other benefits?  Does it keep the git in tune longer than stock ones?

ricky
It depends on what Larrivee is using for tuners these days.  Earlier this year, they started using Schaller's.  Those are about the same quality as the Gotoh's.  But if Larrivee is using Ping's these days, the Gotoh's are a nice improvement in quality.  Many folks complain about the Pings.  Personally, I found that they work OK but the Gotoh's and Schallers are noticably better.  Tuning is faster because they are smooth and it's easier to be precise.  With the Pings sometimes I get a little frustrated trying to tune exactly where I want them.  Any of the brands mentioned stay in tune just as good as the other.  The quality difference is the actual tuning experience.  All IMO BTW :)  Aestetics, I do like the shape of the Gotoh buttons better!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

I dig the white buttons(Kluson) on Gibsons

But I think the modern look tuners look better on Larrivee's
Jeffrey

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 03, 2009, 06:59:08 PM
It depends on what Larrivee is using for tuners these days.  Earlier this year, they started using Schaller's.  Those are about the same quality as the Gotoh's.  But if Larrivee is using Ping's these days, the Gotoh's are a nice improvement in quality.  Many folks complain about the Pings.  Personally, I found that they work OK but the Gotoh's and Schallers are noticably better.  Tuning is faster because they are smooth and it's easier to be precise.  With the Pings sometimes I get a little frustrated trying to tune exactly where I want them.  Any of the brands mentioned stay in tune just as good as the other.  The quality difference is the actual tuning experience.  All IMO BTW :)  Aestetics, I do like the shape of the Gotoh buttons better!

Pings are listed on the website for 03's.

Bill
Martin OM-21; Eastman AC710S

The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. (Westminster Shorter Catechism---1647)

maybe upgraded tuner will be a surprise from Jean...............???????(since nobody will freak out about it!!)  :humour:
Jeffrey

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 03, 2009, 06:59:08 PM

I keep hearing that but I have one guitar the was made a few months ago and another guitar that was made a little over a month ago. Both have the Pings.
I have the SO with Pings with ebony buttons, looks nicer, still feels cheap. But since that's my baby I'm saving up for some really nice ones.

I do have a guitar with the Gotoh gold with ebony button tuners. Those things pretty much tune themselves, a marked difference.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: es-335 on January 03, 2009, 07:13:14 PM
maybe upgraded tuner will be a surprise from Jean...............???????(since nobody will freak out about it!!)  :humour:

As long as there's no abalone snowflakes on them. No joke, I've seen them.  Not to my taste.

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
Handmade soap and stuff.

Quote from: strawintogold on January 03, 2009, 07:19:19 PM
As long as there's no abalone snowflakes on them. No joke, I've seen them.  Not to my taste.

holly

Something like this?

got it off of the gibson forum
Jeffrey

Is that a whorehouse guitar? I'll take those over abalone snowflakes though. Eventaully I'd like to replace the tuners on my classical, but from what Ive seen, there's no such thing as an understated classical tuner. Maybe switch the 'pearl' buttons to something else, they sell those somewhere right?

holly
"Needs more cowbell."

Handmade soap and stuff.

OK this will really get us to 100...

Quote from: rpm60912 on December 24, 2008, 03:02:32 AM
Bill, I started that "Orphaned Larris, What if" thread because I was waiting for my OO-09 to arrive and I felt badly for those who wanted to have the rare OO.  So I really thought originally, we can order a OO (minus myself) for those who don't have access to it.... then again, I was so new here, so conscious, that others might think I have some loose marbles.  :wacko:

Tad "Tadol" pretty much nailed the idea of the low bling LS when he suggested LSV-03 --- there was not even a dozen posts, first screen, FG III was roughed in.

Really... kudos to early supporters that kept this alive, Randy, Jim H and the polite yet deliberate "be quiet" to nay-sayers.  :wink:

If I were to put a subtitle to the Forum Guitar III... or put another way, if I were to put a dedication thing to the FG III

...it would be    "Danny's Guitar"

ricky  :+1:     
Well I wanted to insert a quote from 2 pages back where the disscusion was what to call it. So I remembered this one from Ricky.  I think I like it for myself.... :whistling:

I've got these on my OM-03R:

http://elderly.com/accessories/names/gotoh-vintage-style-open-gear-tuning-machines--TK7808N.htm

I will probably have Jim put these on my FIII as well.  They work very well, very solid and attractive to my eyes.  But the many Gotoh 510 variations have got me thinking how handsome those would look as well....this is a fun part of this process too. 
Scott

RS-2

To try to help with an answer to Broadus, I spoke to David Wren yesterday & asked him the same question. I figured that since he had built many of these LS's with Jean in the 70's, he would have the answer. I have an OM-05, so I wondered the same thing. My inquiry was also about wood combos, hog vs. rw. He told me that especially with the twelve to the body, the sound would be much different. He went into aspects of the guitars that separate the similarity in sound (or differences?) & the same applied to the wood choice. He said it wasn't necessarily the wood,but how they were built. Based on what he told me, I switched to IS/HOG from RW. I sure everyone is familiar with Dave Wren, but for those who are not: He apprenticed with Jean for years starting in the 70's. He owns & operates Twelfth Fret in Toronto.
Hope this helps. It did with me.
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true