OM-40R Tone

Started by coldcoffee, April 04, 2024, 07:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just a random query for those who know more about Larrivee's build history than me. I have a 2018 OM-40R. To my ear, it's pretty bright. It has excellent sustain. Since the guitar world compares everything to Martin, it's more balanced than any Martin I've played.

The other day, I visited a shop with six new Larrivees hanging on the wall. Every single new Larrivee had a much deeper bass growl than my 2018. Not better.  Not worse.  Very different. 

Question: Has Larrivee changed the OM build in the last 6 years? Maybe altered the bracing? The new OMs definitely have a lower voice than my 2018.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
2018 Larrivee OM-40R Custom
2016 Martin 00-18V
2008 Seagull Maritime SWS Mini Jumbo

I'm not aware of any changes to the 40 series but it could be something simple as the room you were playing in or the type of strings you use vs what is on from the factory. 

You could restring yours and bring it to the shop to compare in the same room.

Sometimes as you said the sound is not better or worse, just different and reason enough to acquire another instrument lol

In a store, high frequencies often get lost in the room, and among the background music. When we hear less highs we perceive more bass. It's unlikely that the instruments at the store sounded significantly different than yours. But, I completely believe that they sounded different to you. That's normal. The room colors what we hear quite a bit. If I turn my chair 20 degrees guitars sound different because of the way they reflect in the room.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

It would be really impressive if those six new Larrivees were OM40 variants to use as comparison.  Assuming all things were equal, ie, top woods, etc, I believe that there can be a fair amount of variation from guitar to guitar.  Even given same model, woods, builder, etc.  And yet the variables of different rooms, where you are in the room (being in a corner area might enhance bass) could impact the comparison.

I think I heard Matt Larrivee say in an interview that they do slight improvement 'tweaks' as they go, but I can't imagine those would be large bracing type changes.  The only perceivable different between my 2018 OM40 mahogany and the 2023 OM40R is the truss rod adjustment port.

OM-40R
OM-40M
314ce

One of these weekends if I feel like taking a drive, I'll pack up my Larrivee and do a side by side comparison.
2018 Larrivee OM-40R Custom
2016 Martin 00-18V
2008 Seagull Maritime SWS Mini Jumbo