Monel strings?

Started by Myopic Squirrel, March 15, 2024, 02:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After reading all the comments re strings on another post, anyone care to comment on Monel strings? The majority liking them seem to be on mahogany guitars, and a common theme is they bring out "the woodieness" (no jokes please) of the guitar - hearing the guitar rather than the strings. Some say they make take a while to settle in.

My Martin DSS-17 came with these strings. I absolutely hated them. These strings really make finger noise stand out. I wouldn't recommend them for anyone who regularly uses a lot of position changes. I actually thought the DSS-17 sounded rather ugly on most of the demos I'd seen. Finally, someone did one with a set of Elixir HD lights and that changed my mind about the instrument. And after I heard a good demo of the Larrivee D-40, it was bye bye Martin LOL. Maybe on a smaller instrument that is designed for blues and that type of sound. I think it depends on what your sound ideal is.

If you are talking about Martin Retros, I do not like them. They sound odd, and "thin", or maybe that means "fundamental", but I gave them them a shot, on a couple guitars. Was not willing to do a long term test over two sets, but rather until I just got sick of them.
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I actually do like the monel Martin retro strings on my Larrivees.  I felt like it took away the harsh brightness and mellowed the guitar out.  They also last a long time and don't tarnish visually.  However, they do look strange with their grey color.  They look like electric guitar strings.  They aren't too expensive, so I would suggest trying them out.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

SP6 - did they take a while to settle in? While these only have about 3 hours on over 2 days, hoping that this is not the way they are going to sound. :?

Yes, I think they took a while to settle in. I did have them on my rosewood guitar, but not sure how they would sound on a mahogany guitar.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Below is a link to a review of the Martin Monel Retro strings. I found it interesting what the reviewer said it did to his Martin instrument. And the following comments were interesting also. If it is true that the strings yield less volume, I wouldn't want them on my dreadnought. I took these off my guitar immediately as I don't use 13s and expect a responsive instrument not to need them.

https://www.thatguitarlover.com/blog/review-martin-retro-monel-strings

William2 - thank you and there was an additional link to "acoustic string considerations" that was very interesting.

Quote from: William2 on March 17, 2024, 09:50:13 AMBelow is a link to a review of the Martin Monel Retro strings. I found it interesting what the reviewer said it did to his Martin instrument. And the following comments were interesting also. If it is true that the strings yield less volume, I wouldn't want them on my dreadnought. I took these off my guitar immediately as I don't use 13s and expect a responsive instrument not to need them.

https://www.thatguitarlover.com/blog/review-martin-retro-monel-strings

That blog hurt my brain...  :arrow "there is more clarity in the quieter tones"
It felt like he was trying to describe the strings without actually knowing how to describe anything. Not trying to be mean, but some people just aren't good at reviewing.
"The grain on the top is very widely spaced, suggesting Adirondack versus the documented Sitka spruce and there is plenty of top movement ability." :?
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on March 17, 2024, 03:55:26 PMThat blog hurt my brain...  :arrow "there is more clarity in the quieter tones"
It felt like he was trying to describe the strings without actually knowing how to describe anything. Not trying to be mean, but some peopel just aren't good art reviewing.
"The grain on the top is very widely spaced, suggesting Adirondack versus the documented Sitka spruce and there is plenty of top movement ability." :?

LOL!!!

:roll
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I've used them on a couple of guitars.  My Waterloo WL-12MH (mahogany top, back, sides) currently has a set of Monel 12s that have been on it for at least six months with little, if any, audible deterioration.  When I had a Martin 000-15 I used them on it as well.  They do seem to be very well-suited to mahogany, but my carbon fiber Rainsong has worn them on occasion as well.
You have the right to free speech...as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it

I have not posted here for a year or two, but couldn't resist on this topic. I use Curt Mangan round core monel strings (12-53's) on all my guitars except for the rosewood 00-09 Custom. They sound great, there is no extended break-in required, are easy on my fingers, and last a looong time. All of my mahogany guitars are small-bodied, without the cavernous reverb of dreadnoughts so the clarity of Monel strings is welcome.

Thanks for the string tip! I've read that round cores need an extra sharp bend around the tuning peg or a "kink" so that the wire bites when you wind it. Otherwise, the round core can slip from inside the winding. Hopefully my rambling makes sense?
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on April 25, 2024, 06:05:57 PMThanks for the string tip! I've read that round cores need an extra sharp bend around the tuning peg or a "kink" so that the wire bites when you wind it. Otherwise, the round core can slip from inside the winding. Hopefully my rambling makes sense?
Most of the strings I use have that potential issue. I think a kink in a good idea and I also find wrapping the string over itself once keeps away any problems.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I'm a big fan of monel strings on all my guitars.  I like strings that give a nice warm tone with lots of fundamental.  The Martins work well, but the Curt Mangan round cores are even better.  Most people will say mahogany guitars do best with Monels - my only response to that is the only two signature Martin monel strings were for Laurence Juber and Tony Rice - who both used Rosewood.