Tuning: 440 Hz to 432 Hz

Started by Silence Dogood, December 18, 2022, 11:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: StringPicker6 on December 24, 2022, 09:01:48 AM
My telecaster and amp sit unused, and it gives me guilt. I find that although I love the idea of electric guitar, it's a bit boring playing it alone. I'm also very lazy, and I can't be bothered with foot switches and tone knobs.  :arrow
I'm pretty much the same.  After I run through all the licks and riffs I know, it gets boring.  Plus electric guitar playing is a never-ending tone-quest it seems.  With the acoustic, one just picks it up and plays.  It's still worth having an electric around, though. 

I did recently buy a little headphone amp from fender (can't recall its model name).  It's about the size of a cigarette lighter, plugs into your guitar, and then you plug in your headphones into it. Really fun little toy. I might sell my amp and just stick with that. Also, my wife can't be annoyed when I'm using headphones.  :nana_guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on December 24, 2022, 09:58:45 PM
I did recently buy a little headphone amp from fender (can't recall its model name).  It's about the size of a cigarette lighter, plugs into your guitar, and then you plug in your headphones into it. Really fun little toy. I might sell my amp and just stick with that. Also, my wife can't be annoyed when I'm using headphones.  :nana_guitar
I had one of those from Vox for a while and it was great fun.  I usually use my headphones plugged into my Boss Katana so I don't drive the house nuts as I play pretty much the entire Def Leppard Hysteria album. 

(Tuning a 1/2 step down from A440 is actually 415.305 Hz.)
 Much has been written about A432.
I haven't investigated this enough to have an opinion one way or the other.
For example:
According to music theory, A=432 Hz is mathematically consistent with the universe. This is known as Verdi's 'A' – named after Giuseppe Verdi, a famous Italian composer. Music tuned to 432 Hz is softer and brighter, and is said to provide greater clarity and is easier on the ears.

And this:
Playing 432 Hz music for 15 to 20 min before sleeping induces sleep and increases deep sleep phase.

And this:
What's so special about 432 Hz you might ask? Well, according to some music theorists, it's the frequency at which the universe vibrates. Listening to a sound at 432 Hz is especially pleasing to the ear, and said to reduce stress and promote emotional stability by putting you in sync with the "heartbeat of the Earth."

YMMV  :smile:

Quote from: Queequeg on May 18, 2023, 12:45:01 PM(Tuning a 1/2 step down from A440 is actually 415.305 Hz.)
For example:
According to music theory, A=432 Hz is mathematically consistent with the universe. This is known as Verdi's 'A' – named after Giuseppe Verdi, a famous Italian composer. Music tuned to 432 Hz is softer and brighter, and is said to provide greater clarity and is easier on the ears.

And this:
Playing 432 Hz music for 15 to 20 min before sleeping induces sleep and increases deep sleep phase.

And this:
What's so special about 432 Hz you might ask? Well, according to some music theorists, it's the frequency at which the universe vibrates. Listening to a sound at 432 Hz is especially pleasing to the ear, and said to reduce stress and promote emotional stability by putting you in sync with the "heartbeat of the Earth."

I hear you.  I've got friends that are pretty heavy into the red pill movement and talk about this stuff sometimes.  I try not to dismiss arguments offhandedly, especially if I have never thought about it or have never researched, but it does seem like with all these types of things there is no end to the rabbit holes.  I just tend to not spend much time (read: any) on these things. 

I tried out this tuning out of curiosity and really do like it, so I'll likely stay with it.  I do some guitar tutorials on YT from time to time and have to retune to 440.  That's a bit of a pain but I don't do it often. 

If you ever want to experiment with the alleged "benefits" of 432, there are lots of great YouTube vids out there featuring this music.  Here is one I like a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxF95wrSqE&list=PLbIJ1DWcC5PON1mAWfDvV0qOdRxs1mB9w&index=17

Another good one I like, but on electric guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUl_gWRhuQ&list=PLbIJ1DWcC5PON1mAWfDvV0qOdRxs1mB9w&index=18

Quote from: Silence Dogood on May 20, 2023, 08:46:13 AMI hear you.  I've got friends that are pretty heavy into the red pill movement and talk about this stuff sometimes.  I try not to dismiss arguments offhandedly, especially if I have never thought about it or have never researched, but it does seem like with all these types of things there is no end to the rabbit holes.  I just tend to not spend much time (read: any) on these things. 

I tried out this tuning out of curiosity and really do like it, so I'll likely stay with it.  I do some guitar tutorials on YT from time to time and have to retune to 440.  That's a bit of a pain but I don't do it often. 

If you ever want to experiment with the alleged "benefits" of 432, there are lots of great YouTube vids out there featuring this music.  Here is one I like a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaxF95wrSqE&list=PLbIJ1DWcC5PON1mAWfDvV0qOdRxs1mB9w&index=17

Another good one I like, but on electric guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUl_gWRhuQ&list=PLbIJ1DWcC5PON1mAWfDvV0qOdRxs1mB9w&index=18
(I had to look up "red pill" as I never heard of it.)
I do read my share of science, and more specifically physics/astrophysics books and had never run across anything before as to the universe vibrating at 432Hz. There is of course, a certain cosmic microwave background radiation with a frequency of approximately 160GHz at the far reaches of our universe.
The resonant frequency of human beings is around 12Hz according to pubmed; women slightly faster than men.

As for our Planet Earth, I refer to wikipedia and the Schumann Resonances (SR) "a set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low frequency (ELF) portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum. Schumann resonances are global electromagnetic resonances, generated and excited by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's surface and the ionosphere.[1]

Description
The global electromagnetic resonance phenomenon is named after physicist Winfried Otto Schumann who predicted it mathematically in 1952. Schumann resonances are the principal background in the part of the electromagnetic spectrum[2] from 3 Hz through 60 Hz,[3] and appear as distinct peaks at extremely low frequencies (ELF) around 7.83 Hz (fundamental), 14.3, 20.8, 27.3, and 33.8 Hz.[4]"

Far lower than the 423Hz in our discussion, so while we may respond better (or some people prefer A432 to A440) I'm inclined to dismiss the rest as something akin to metaphysics until further or better data. Could be something to it but I remain unconvinced.

So I agree- try it out. No harm in that. There is certainly nothing sacred about A440. I think it was the result of a compromise between varying tuning systems, first recommended in the 1830s and codified in the 1950s and again in the 1970s.
So while maybe it's not a law of nature...
to paraphrase the old song, if it's your thing, do what you want to do.  :smile:

Quote from: Queequeg on May 21, 2023, 10:56:44 AM(I had to look up "red pill" as I never heard of it.)
I do read my share of science, and more specifically physics/astrophysics books and had never run across anything before as to the universe vibrating at 432Hz. There is of course, a certain cosmic microwave background radiation with a frequency of approximately 160GHz at the far reaches of our universe.
The resonant frequency of human beings is around 12Hz according to pubmed; women slightly faster than men.

As for our Planet Earth, I refer to wikipedia and the Schumann Resonances (SR) "a set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low frequency (ELF) portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum. Schumann resonances are global electromagnetic resonances, generated and excited by lightning discharges in the cavity formed by the Earth's surface and the ionosphere.[1]

Description
The global electromagnetic resonance phenomenon is named after physicist Winfried Otto Schumann who predicted it mathematically in 1952. Schumann resonances are the principal background in the part of the electromagnetic spectrum[2] from 3 Hz through 60 Hz,[3] and appear as distinct peaks at extremely low frequencies (ELF) around 7.83 Hz (fundamental), 14.3, 20.8, 27.3, and 33.8 Hz.[4]"

Far lower than the 423Hz in our discussion, so while we may respond better (or some people prefer A432 to A440) I'm inclined to dismiss the rest as something akin to metaphysics until further or better data. Could be something to it but I remain unconvinced.

So I agree- try it out. No harm in that. There is certainly nothing sacred about A440. I think it was the result of a compromise between varying tuning systems, first recommended in the 1830s and codified in the 1950s and again in the 1970s.
So while maybe it's not a law of nature...
to paraphrase the old song, if it's your thing, do what you want to do.  :smile:
Sorry about that.  I suppose since I'm so closely wedded to red pill thinking via my friends that I assumed the term was ubiquitous.  There is a lot of male-specific red pill thinking, but I'm more referring to the conspiratorial mindset in general.  I get weary of it all because everything ends up being a part of it.  Even guitar playing with the 432 thing. 

Quote from: Queequeg on May 18, 2023, 12:45:01 PM(Tuning a 1/2 step down from A440 is actually 415.305 Hz.)
For example:

And this:

And this:

"They" say lots of stuff. I've tried this tuning option (and many more) and didn't really notice any cosmic effects. I did notice that I wasn't in tune with anyone if I wanted to play with others.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 22, 2023, 07:46:05 PM"They" say lots of stuff. I've tried this tuning option (and many more) and didn't really notice any cosmic effects. I did notice that I wasn't in tune with anyone if I wanted to play with others.
The main thing I've noticed is that I enjoy singing a lot more in the 432 range.  It gives me just a tad bit more breathing room and seems to be less restrictive.  It has been fun experimenting with it anyway.  But as you say, pretty much a deal-breaker if you're going to play with others.  I can't even recall the last time I played guitar with someone else.  I miss it for sure. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 22, 2023, 07:46:05 PM"They" say lots of stuff.
Yeah. I have never read or heard from (what I consider to be) any reliable source that the greater universe or Planet Earth resonates at 432 Hz.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on May 27, 2023, 07:32:30 AMThe main thing I've noticed is that I enjoy singing a lot more in the 432 range.  It gives me just a tad bit more breathing room and seems to be less restrictive.  It has been fun experimenting with it anyway.  But as you say, pretty much a deal-breaker if you're going to play with others.  I can't even recall the last time I played guitar with someone else.  I miss it for sure.

I generally keep a guitar tuned down a half or even a whole tone for that purpose. I go to jams on a regular basis but, with that, a capo will allow you to play nicely with others. It only slightly confuses them. LOL 

Quote from: Queequeg on May 27, 2023, 10:44:42 AMYeah. I have never read or heard from (what I consider to be) any reliable source that the greater universe or Planet Earth resonates at 432 Hz.

And so what if it does? I march to my own tune and sing to my own drummer. :)

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 27, 2023, 01:55:35 PMAnd so what if it does? I march to my own tune and sing to my own drummer. :)
Yeah, so what if it does?
But it doesn't.
So where do people get this poppycock?

Quote from: Queequeg on May 28, 2023, 10:27:27 AMYeah, so what if it does?
But it doesn't.
So where do people get this poppycock?

From the poppycock store? See my thread about dandelions. Apparently, people will believe the darnedest things with no evidence at all. I'm sure I'm guilty of believing some sort of nonsense. I just don't know what. :D

I have also never heard about earth and the universe resonating at 432 Hz, but if that's true, does that mean that Uranus also resonates at 432 Hz?   :humour:  :nana_guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

I actually heard that A 440 was the frequency of the OM sound that the universe makes but either way we're defining the frequency of the note we call A. Whether it's 440 or 432 what about all the other notes? Are we musical monks who chant OM to that note whatever it may be? Do we only play one note songs or only in keys that have an A in the scale. I'm not sure I get the point. I've certainly noticed no discord in the universe or even in my room when I don't tune that way.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 29, 2023, 01:41:25 PMI actually heard that A 440 was the frequency of the OM sound that the universe makes
:wave  :wave  :cheers
And where did you hear that?
Just curious.
And is the "OM" sound from a chant?
Just curious.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

When I chant, I like to say "ORCHESTRAAAAA MOOOODELLLLL"...  :roll
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 29, 2023, 09:45:56 PM:wave  :wave  :cheers
And where did you hear that?
Just curious.
And is the "OM" sound from a chant?
Just curious.
Mike

I used to be a bit of a Buddhist in my misbegotten youth. I guess I read it somewhere in the literature. In meditation, if you have silence and listen very closely, OM is apparently the sound of the universe vibrating and "the word" in the beginning. Which is why Buddhists chant Om Mani Padme Hum and the like. Of course, when I look at clouds, I always see dogs running across the sky.

You can go to Youtube and hear many of these chants. The Tibetan ones can be truly strange.

Quote from: StringPicker6 on May 30, 2023, 05:09:09 AMWhen I chant, I like to say "ORCHESTRAAAAA MOOOODELLLLL"...  :roll

I was waiting for that! :D