Coffee Lovers

Started by Strings4Him, November 25, 2011, 05:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Queequeg on January 21, 2024, 06:11:00 PMNo offense taken.
Was a time a long time ago, I had a grinder.
Not to say Starbucks is the best but I enjoy the flavor as a change from what I brew at home (which you might not like at all).
I buy Costco Colombian.
I'd be the first to admit I'm no coffee connoisseur.
That's stuff is quite good for the cost. I find some of their house brands to be at least as good as the name brands they sit next to (supplements, liquors, coffee, etc). I still maintain that their fresh pizza is cardboard with foam stuffing on it though...  :roll
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Colombian roast is my favorite kind of coffee.  Tim H's mediums tastes like a good Colombian to me.  Community Coffee out of Louisiana also makes a really good one.  I drank that for a lot years.  Drank Eight O'Clock for a lot of years too.  Lots of choices!

Mrs. Q. has been instructed by her doctor to only drink decaf if she's going to drink coffee.
I don't know about the rest of the planet but decaf is really hard to find around here the past few months.
I went into Aldis today and bought a can of this Beaumont Classic Decaf - never heard of it- and I haven't opened it up yet but how could I resist when I find "serving suggestion" printed at the bottom of the can along with a picture? (Plus, it's the only thing I could find for her.)
You know, try pouring it into a cup.  :bgrin:
Why didn't I think of that?

Why didn't I think of this?? All these years I've been drinking coffee from a dinner plate!  :roll
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Back in the day some people drank coffee from a saucer.  If you've ever heard the phrase "saucer'd and blow'd," that's where it comes from.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 23, 2024, 01:39:35 PMBack in the day some people drank coffee from a saucer.  If you've ever heard the phrase "saucer'd and blow'd," that's where it comes from.
Can't say that I'm familiar with that expression. How is it used or in what context?

Quote from: Queequeg on February 24, 2024, 09:41:34 AMCan't say that I'm familiar with that expression. How is it used or in what context?
It's mostly a cowboy / country expression, and possibly a Texas thing.  It means something is "ready."  When the coffee is "saucer'd" (poured) and "blow'd" (cooled down), it's ready to drink. 

I'm in AZ but it's a new one to me.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on February 24, 2024, 10:17:10 AMIt's mostly a cowboy / country expression, and possibly a Texas thing.  It means something is "ready."  When the coffee is "saucer'd" (poured) and "blow'd" (cooled down), it's ready to drink. 
Thanks.
I'm always fascinated by those colloquialisms and their origins.

In Sweden, (my Mom is from Sweden), old men on the park benches used to drink "penny coffee".  They fill a cup halfway with strong black coffee, put their version of a penny in the cup, and then fill the rest of the cup with vodka until you can see the penny at the bottom.  Hey, it gets cold and dark up there!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Wife and I went on a double date last night and ended the evening with our friends at a local coffee shop.  We drove by a Starbucks and a Dutch Bros to get there.
 :wave

I had a really wonderful drink: 4 shots of espresso, ice, and whole cream.  It was glorious.  We sat there long enough for me to have two. 

Word on the street is that we are going to get a Tim Horton's coffee shop in the Fort Worth area pretty soon.  I'm excited about this!