A new "list" thread

Started by Walkerman, May 26, 2009, 05:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: fongie on May 28, 2009, 02:41:23 AM
Bluesman1, never heard of that one before
cheers
fongie

Bang, bang, shoot, shoot.....one of the best harmony lines ever written/sang.

Fongie, it's from the first of the 2 on the "White" album. It's a song about shooting dope, any not knowing that. Beside the obvious innuendos to it, they use some terms that are street ones, not known to most. I have never shot dope, just know from those that have! The lyrics, harmony, & timing of the singing is just great & one of my favorite songs. WM was on the money with his comments. :thumb
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: fongie on May 27, 2009, 06:00:35 PM
Thanks for that dg, ahhhhh, that title sure brings back memories

I loved that tune, too... both Klaatu and The Carpenters' versions...
and here are my 10 fave Beatle tunes (in no particular order) although 20 would be easier:

Tell Me Why
Helter Skelter
Girl
Dear Prudence
Long, Long, Long
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Penny Lane
Hello Goodbye
All You Need Is Love
Paperback Writer

dg

dg, nice one also. At least we have some that remember the early days! I'm still dissecting my list, but it is so hard because I have sooo many favorites! It's hard, only coming up with 10. They are my favorite group of all time, so I'm being selective about my list. Boy, this is hard!

Quote from: dgrose on May 28, 2009, 12:02:07 PM
I loved that tune, too... both Klaatu and The Carpenters' versions...
and here are my 10 fave Beatle tunes (in no particular order) although 20 would be easier:

Tell Me Why
Helter Skelter
Girl
Dear Prudence
Long, Long, Long
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Penny Lane
Hello Goodbye
All You Need Is Love
Paperback Writer

dg

Man, I thought I knew my 'Beetles' songs, definately way out of line. Paper writer, girl, long long long, tell me why, never heard of. These are 'Beatles' song's, right? Boy, am I what? This is getting interesting
cheers
fongie

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 28, 2009, 01:55:04 PM
...it is so hard because I have sooo many favorites! It's hard, only coming up with 10....
I know what you mean. If we'd had 20 I would have included Across The Universe, This Boy, Strawberry Fields, In My Life, Drive My Car, I'm Only Sleeping, Here There and Everywhere, And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One, & Your Mother Should Know. 
...and there would still be others.    :whistling:

dg

Quote from: fongie on May 28, 2009, 05:13:24 PM
Man, I thought I knew my 'Beetles' songs, definately way out of line. Paper writer, girl, long long long, tell me why, never heard of. These are 'Beatles' song's, right? Boy, am I what? This is getting interesting

Paperback Writer was a single with a wicked guitar riff and an interesting/funny story line. It was released on the Magical Mystery Tour album.
Girl is a Lennon slow song from the Rubber Soul album
Long Long Long is a George Harrison song from the "White Album"
Tell Me Why is one of the best songs from "A Hard Day's Night"
The group was so prolific while they were together and produced so many gems. A lot of it still blows my mind. Their music (unlike a lot of other stuff from that era) withstands the test of time. I remain a fan. The Beatles and The Turtles were my favourite 60's groups.

dg

I personally think that Paperback Writer is an absolute belter of a song, but always sort of categorised it with many of their singles as a bit 'poppy' compared to some of their deeper more complex stuff.  Now others have mentioned it, I feel free to acknowledge it as a favourite, lol!
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

In order, shifting moods...

The long and winding road
I'm looking through you
You've got to hide your love away
Nowhere man
Lovely Rita
Rocky Racoon
Dr Roberts
Sgt Peppers (reprise)
I've got a feelin
And my all time fav....
Glass Onion
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

dq, agree that there would still be lots of others. Love "Paperback Writer". And Penner, love "Glass Onion" also. There are alot of thinkers on the "White Album" (s), with deep & thought provoking lyrics. I'm still staring @ my list. Wish it was 20. Would be a little easier, though not much!

Quote from: BluesMan1 on May 29, 2009, 10:48:01 AM
   dq, agree that there would still be lots of others. Love "Paperback Writer". And Penner, love "Glass Onion" also. There are alot of thinkers on the "White Album" (s), with deep & thought provoking lyrics. I'm still staring @ my list. Wish it was 20. Would be a little easier, though not much!

How about a Pre-Sgt Peppers list, and a list beginning with Sgt Peppers?

It's funny, most folks think of the Beatles as "pop" music.  But, I went and saw that group Rain, and when I heard some of their songs played at live volume, I came away with an appreciation of just what a great ROCK band the Beatles were.  Especially their older stuff....she loves you, please please me, daytripper and revolution...blew me away.

Quote from: Walkerman on May 29, 2009, 11:04:58 AM
...But, I went and saw that group Rain, and when I heard some of their songs played at live volume, I came away with an appreciation of just what a great ROCK band the Beatles were.
There is a group called "The British Invasion" who do The Beatles tribute thing, too. They had a similar effect on me when I was in Orlando hanging with The Turtles.
Greg Hawkes (formerly the keyboard player for The Cars) is now a member of The Turtles... and he liked them too.

dg

I saw "Beatlemania" back in '79 in NYC. It was a tribute show, with almost exact look-alikes & sounded just like them. What an awesome show! Won't ever forget it, being the closest I've gotten to seeing the Beatles.
   WM, I think that's a great idea! Would be able to separate my favs much better, since there are so many early ones. And for those that remember, they WERE the R&R band of their time, esp early on.
   Everybody think it's a good one also? :thumb

Alot of early Beatles stuff is definitely "song" oriented, and can be put together into a playlist - but for me, I am just too album oriented when I think of the Beatles. There is a flow to it ( in my  mind at least ) that triggers me into thinking I have to jump up and flip it at the end of each side -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Tad, I tend to agree. They did alot of songs flowing into each other, one album that comes to mind is "Abbey Road". I think of the whole album as one. Same kinda thing with the first of the "White" albums. I think I could name 2 more w/o thinking (kinda redundant!), but to me, they'tr obvious. "Magical Mystery Tour" & "Sgt. Pepper's". All like one album in my mind, I've listened to them so many times!

Quote from: tadol on May 29, 2009, 05:57:09 PM
Alot of early Beatles stuff is definitely "song" oriented, and can be put together into a playlist - but for me, I am just too album oriented when I think of the Beatles. There is a flow to it ( in my  mind at least ) that triggers me into thinking I have to jump up and flip it at the end of each side -

I agree wholeheartedly. I just tried to compile a pre-Pepper and post-Pepper list and the first was much easier than the second... so I gave up. The later albums required listening from start to finish... with the flip in the middle.

dg

"I Have a Feeling" this thread has come close to "The End"? Or, so it seems? Or is it just drifting away in cyberspace, "Across the Universe"?
     Jeff