I love acoustic guitar magazines!

Started by StringPicker6, October 08, 2023, 07:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

This morning I looked through an old acoustic guitar magazine from November 2007. Although it's not even that old in my mind, it was so nice to just leisurely look at the pictures and read some of the articles about technical skills.  It's such a nicer experience than consuming all the stuff out there in the internet. It makes me remember the simpler times before the internet.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 08, 2023, 07:57:53 AMThis morning I looked through an old acoustic guitar magazine from November 2007. Although it's not even that old in my mind, it was so nice to just leisurely look at the pictures and read some of the articles about technical skills.  It's such a nicer experience than consuming all the stuff out there in the internet. It makes me remember the simpler times before the internet.

Ha! My wife keeps trying to get me to get rid of mine. I've moved them back and forth from Canada to the US, back to Canada, back to the US and then from Stevens Point to Waupaca. I keep telling her that they aren't Tiger Beat!  :laughin:

Getting a new guitar mag used to be one of life's simple pleasures!  The late 90s/early 2000s were a sort of Golden Age for acoustic guitar-related publications.  Internet reading is too distracted and unfocused, but a magazine in hand seemed to grab my whole attention. 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on October 08, 2023, 08:46:21 AMGetting a new guitar mag used to be one of life's simple pleasures!  The late 90s/early 2000s were a sort of Golden Age for acoustic guitar-related publications.  Internet reading is too distracted and unfocused, but a magazine in hand seemed to grab my whole attention. 

I had subscriptions to Acoustic Guitar, Guitar One and Guitar World among others, bought tonnes of them as instructional material. It was only when I realized that the same pieces of music were being recycled endlessly that I stopped. Still I have a wealth of songs with accurate tablature. I may even get in to them some day!  :roll

The only thing that got me to stick with guitar was some of those acoustic guitar mags. A simple tabbed "You've got to hide your love away" Beatles song got me to buckle down and focus on chords and strumming. With some finger callouses, I was off to learn more and more and more!
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 08, 2023, 10:47:09 AMThe only thing that got me to stick with guitar was some of those acoustic guitar mags. A simple tabbed "You've got to hide your love away" Beatles song got me to buckle down and focus on chords and strumming. With some finger callouses, I was off to learn more and more and more!

Yeah, I learned Here Comes the Sun, Blackbird and a couple of others. HCTS? Capo 7!!! Ah ha moment!