New style Lancaster

Started by Walkerman, February 09, 2014, 11:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

One sexy enchilada....I particularly like the thin burst around the edge so that more of the wood grain is exposed.  That's some nice swamp ash.  This is just first clear coat...not buffed yet.

Luvly indeed!!!!  :drool:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Hmmmmm. it seems, for my old eyes -that Larrivee's are looking more and more like other famous USA guitar makers...both acoustics and electrics.
I understand, it kinda make me a bit sad that's all.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on February 09, 2014, 03:35:29 PM
Hmmmmm. it seems, for my old eyes -that Larrivee's are looking more and more like other famous USA guitar makers...both acoustics and electrics.
I understand, it kinda make me a bit sad that's all.

I hear ya but there's no sense making 'em if you can't sell them. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 09, 2014, 06:01:52 PM
I hear ya but there's no sense making 'em if you can't sell them. 

Yes....and Larrivee switched because of customer requests.......which to my way of thinking means dealer request.

Quote from: Walkerman on February 09, 2014, 07:33:48 PM
Yes....and Larrivee switched because of customer requests.......which to my way of thinking means dealer request.

However, carry this to it's logical conclusion, and they should've redesigned the RS-4 to make it a Les Paul (or PRS Singlecut) clone...  :whistling:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 09, 2014, 09:35:07 PM
However, carry this to it's logical conclusion, and they should've redesigned the RS-4 to make it a Les Paul (or PRS Singlecut) clone...  :whistling:
Too good of a guitar to do that, but probably would have been more popular ie. sold more if they had. I think having the RS along with both the Bakersfield & Lancaster gives us many options. Making a LP style I don't think would detract any from the RS' so maybe a further option for down the road, I'd buy one.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I'm not wanting to open up the preverbal buyers market, dealer request, everyone wants ether a strat, Les Paul or tele argument.
It's about money, simple.
I love my larrivee guitars, I will keep my original 80's RS4, and the new ones.
If the company feels compelled to re issue strats and teles, for the sake of the company and it's growth etc, that is their prerogative.

I do feel that for the the buyers they might be going after, the actual "name" on the head stock of those guitars is important.
I have been told this by two very important stores in Canada (Twelfth Fret & Long & McQuade)

I feel, and always will feel, The Larrivee people make better guitars than the other famous brand companies , and thats why I play them.

Intially in 1971 or 72, when I was considering one of Jeans' guitars, (would have to sell my 1956 D-28 to order it) one quote from a dear friend that helped sway my decision, was, "any one can own a Martin-this is a unique and very beautiful handmade guitar".

That tipped the scales and I ordered, (back then directly from Jean-6 week wait).

As an old guy, professional player, I have sold my vintage D-28's, as well as my 57 start, 58 les Paul, for various reasons, and have now ended up playing guitars that are different and "less mainstream" and every bit, if not better made and sounding than all my vintage beauties were).

My rebel with out a clue streak just won't go where all the sheep are going is all.
my issue -certainly, but it does mean I won't be buying a lancaster anytime soon.....
Like over 50?

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 09, 2014, 09:35:07 PM
However, carry this to it's logical conclusion, and they should've redesigned the RS-4 to make it a Les Paul (or PRS Singlecut) clone...  :whistling:

You are assuming that they had requests to do that.....quite illogical.

Quote from: headsup on February 10, 2014, 06:59:00 AM

My rebel with out a clue streak just won't go where all the sheep are going is all.

I resonate with this comment ... partly because I'm a lefty, but also because, over 20 years ago, I walked into a little hole-in-the-wall shop and saw and heard Larrivees for the first time. I'd never owned a Martin or Gibson acoustic (never had the $$, being a poor seminary student, then pastor), but I found a way to purchase my first Larrivee, and I've never looked back or had any regrets. Feel the same way about their electrics, and look forward to getting my "old style" Lancaster in a month or two.

Nice burst! I prefer the more "traditional" body shape for strat and tele style guitars, so I think they're on the right track with the revised Lancaster...though I favor teles. Still enjoying the honyemoon with my Bakersfield. If the Lancasters are anything like my Bakersfield, they're on to another winner. Who needs another relic shmellic, "master builder" custom shop, snake oil, limited run mumbo jumbo stratoblaster special? Larrivee seems to stick to high quality basics and gets it right IMHO.
Swang on,

I had not truly considered the Lancaster, mostly due to it's somewhat block shape.  :whistling: Sure, probably a fantastic guitar if it's anything like my Bakersfield or LVs. But with that new shape, it is definitely on my radar. So, maybe I fit into that demographic that the "new" shape is trying to capture. Not ashamed of that, at all. And I love it when people come up to look at the name on the headstock.  :wink:
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: headsup on February 10, 2014, 06:59:00 AM
I'm not wanting to open up the preverbal buyers market, dealer request, everyone wants ether a strat, Les Paul or tele argument.
It's about money, simple.
I love my larrivee guitars, I will keep my original 80's RS4, and the new ones.
If the company feels compelled to re issue strats and teles, for the sake of the company and it's growth etc, that is their prerogative.

I do feel that for the the buyers they might be going after, the actual "name" on the head stock of those guitars is important.
I have been told this by two very important stores in Canada (Twelfth Fret & Long & McQuade)

I feel, and always will feel, The Larrivee people make better guitars than the other famous brand companies , and thats why I play them.

Intially in 1971 or 72, when I was considering one of Jeans' guitars, (would have to sell my 1956 D-28 to order it) one quote from a dear friend that helped sway my decision, was, "any one can own a Martin-this is a unique and very beautiful handmade guitar".

That tipped the scales and I ordered, (back then directly from Jean-6 week wait).

As an old guy, professional player, I have sold my vintage D-28's, as well as my 57 start, 58 les Paul, for various reasons, and have now ended up playing guitars that are different and "less mainstream" and every bit, if not better made and sounding than all my vintage beauties were).

my issue -certainly, but it does mean I won't be buying a lancaster anytime soon.....

I may be much like you if not more so. Besides owning a sunburst strat, I've always wanted to be holding something a little different in the guitar department. My other electrics were Univoxes. My only acoustic for about 25 years was a 1975 Larrivée, I think you know it well. I liked the fact that it had no name on the headstock and no one who actually cared  knew what it was. Then sometime around the turn of the century, I eventually bought a bunch more Larrivées. Oddly enough, I never owned a Martin until a couple of years ago and then, it's an unusual Martin ... cos anyone can own one of the usual suspects, right?   :winkin: 

Anyway, where I'm going with all this palaver is that there are fewer of us than there are of the other kind and Mr. L and family have decided, for one reason or another that they're in business to sell guitars. Seems the other kind of customer has determined what constitutes a guitar that they will buy. They have to have highly visible pickguards for one thing. Whaddyagonnado? Besides, I believe whatever style of body, Larrivées will always be sufficiently different to stand out in a crowd.   :beer

mmmm. Well, I prefer that being different not turn out to have its own dress code as well.

As for the new Lancaster shape -I think it matches the overall Larrivee aesthetic a little more. It looks more graceful and flowing. Less pointy-angular-metal. More developed tone and precision. The new style looks like something Mark Knopfler would really go for.

For the record, I really like the older shape.

So I am going to need two!

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"

Quote from: madoclake on February 13, 2014, 04:01:47 PM

For the record, I really like the older shape.

exactly me too  :doh

Quote from: madoclake on February 13, 2014, 04:01:47 PM

(Slaps forehead, V-8 style) why didn't I think of that!  :arrow

My second, "new-style" Lancaster will have to be ordered later this year. That sunburst looks like a good choice (I don't have a strat-style in traditional burst yet...)

:thumb

OH the difficulties and decisions facing us first world countries.... :whistling:
Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on February 14, 2014, 10:17:06 AM
OH the difficulties and decisions facing us first world countries.... :whistling:

Who determines the lottery of life anyway? So lucky to be born in Canada and not Zimbabwe or North Korea.  :? 

Quote from: headsup on February 14, 2014, 10:17:06 AM

Well, it's all about choices ... I'm driving an old Bonneville with 198,000 miles on it that I paid $1,500 for about two years ago; live in a modest home, don't spend a lot on clothes, and nothing on alcohol (not to mention drugs - including prescriptions, thankfully); don't own a boat, motorcycle, or any firearms ... and I/we give about 12-15% of my/our income to various charities (first 10% to our church, the rest to various other worthy causes, including sponsoring a child through World Vision).

So, yes, very blessed to be living in this place, but also trying to make a significant difference in the world while here.  :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 14, 2014, 11:27:10 PM
Well, it's all about choices ... I'm driving an old Bonneville with 198,000 miles on it that I paid $1,500 for about two years ago; live in a modest home, don't spend a lot on clothes, and nothing on alcohol (not to mention drugs - including prescriptions, thankfully); don't own a boat, motorcycle, or any firearms ... and I/we give about 12-15% of my/our income to various charities (first 10% to our church, the rest to various other worthy causes, including sponsoring a child through World Vision).

So, yes, very blessed to be living in this place, but also trying to make a significant difference in the world while here.  :donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee

Great that you sponsor a child. Helen and I have a child we sponsor, through Christian Children's Fund, in Ethiopia. Alimatu is five.   :thumb