Best Strings for my 2002 D03BW?

Started by apell, March 14, 2024, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's another "We've been down this road before" query

My newly purchased D03BW (made in 2002) arrived today.  It is in stellar condition, the blackwood shows nary a scratch nor blemish (save some fingerboard bleed onto the fingerboard binding.)   It really looks like it has never been played.  But, to the query:

Jr has stated in an email that Larrivee now recommends D'Addario XT 12-53's.  I purchased a set, and a set of XT 12-56.  I'm used to 13's on my Martin D18.   Can the Larrivee handle the slightly heavier gauges?   

The Lights are 12-16-24-32-42-53

Med Lights are 12-16-25-35-45-56

I don't want to damage my new guitar, but do want to bring out its best...

Thanks for any and all info and input.....

On my Larrivee SD-40RW, I use Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze HD Light strings 13-53. It gives this instrument just a bit more that it needs on the first two strings. On my other two dreadnoughts, I use D'Addario XS lights. I prefer the smoother feel and less string noise of the SX strings. 

String choice is all about personal preference. I can't tell you what you'll like. There's many different instruments, guitars, body sizes, brands, bracing styles, woods, etc because we don't all want the same thing.

Larrivee dreads can handle 13's. In a guitar that's 20+ years old you'll end up needing a neck reset sooner with heavier gauge strings but I would go with whatever you like the sound and feel of. 12's can sound a little thin on a dread but, depending how you play, the thinner sound may be desirable if you find the instrument is too bass heavy. The great thing about strings is that you can try a different type every time you change them. I think that's part of the fun.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: William2 on March 14, 2024, 04:06:23 PMOn my Larrivee SD-40RW, I use Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze HD Light strings 13-53. It gives this instrument just a bit more that it needs on the first two strings. On my other two dreadnoughts, I use D'Addario XS lights. I prefer the smoother feel and less string noise of the SX strings. 

I just took out my Martin Custom Shop D18 (Mahogany B/S & Adi top.) I put some older Martin SP Light/Med 80/20 bronze on it the other day and I cannot believe have the guitar sings.

The Larrivee that arrived today (my first I've been able to play since the OM04 is in the shop for bridge repair) and the bass sound is so dead, like a thump and no hum.  The strings look and feel new, but may be older than the hills.   I have these two sets that I bought of XT's, but at 17$ a pop, I don't feel like dickering around too much with find the right string. 

Quote from: B0WIE on March 14, 2024, 04:57:17 PMString choice is all about personal preference. I can't tell you what you'll like. There's many different instruments, guitars, body sizes, brands, bracing styles, woods, etc because we don't all want the same thing.

Larrivee dreads can handle 13's. In a guitar that's 20+ years old you'll end up needing a neck reset sooner with heavier gauge strings but I would go with whatever you like the sound and feel of. 12's can sound a little thin on a dread but, depending how you play, the thinner sound may be desirable if you find the instrument is too bass heavy. The great thing about strings is that you can try a different type every time you change them. I think that's part of the fun.

It is indeed cool to hear how a different string can affect the sound of the instrument.   The Martin I have has a new set of SP Light/Med 80/20 bronze and it sounds amazing.   The Larrivee sounds so different, and I am trying to find the right mixture of shimmering highs and nice humming bass.  The guitar right now has nice highs, but the bass just seems dead.   I don't know what gauge are on it now, or the age of the strings. 
Should I go with a lighter gauge first off and then go to mediums if I'm not happy with the sound?   I've never used XTs and am just getting back to playing after a three-year hiatus...

The XT's are coated strings for corrosion resistance.  They are going to last longer and be more expensive, and may have a darker or less bright tone.  I would try the EJ line of D'adarrio if you want non-coated strings that will be cheaper.  That way if you don't like them, you won't feel so guilty taking them off early. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: apell on March 14, 2024, 05:24:53 PMIt is indeed cool to hear how a different string can affect the sound of the instrument.   The Martin I have has a new set of SP Light/Med 80/20 bronze and it sounds amazing.   The Larrivee sounds so different, and I am trying to find the right mixture of shimmering highs and nice humming bass.  The guitar right now has nice highs, but the bass just seems dead.   I don't know what gauge are on it now, or the age of the strings. 
Should I go with a lighter gauge first off and then go to mediums if I'm not happy with the sound?   I've never used XTs and am just getting back to playing after a three-year hiatus...

Larrivee dreads built more for articulation than big bass. Martins are bassy but that's why I don't like them, they sound like mud to me.

There's things you can do to make the Larrivee sound fuller. Phosphor bronze strings give more overtones and sound fuller. Thicker strings (Mediums) help. If the action is low, shimming the saddle creates more downward pressure on the top, giving more volume and bass.

Perception changes how much bass we hear so strings with less treble sound fuller in bass. Also, a thicker pick with the edges sanded smooth will sound warmer.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 14, 2024, 07:29:41 PMThe XT's are coated strings for corrosion resistance.  They are going to last longer and be more expensive, and may have a darker or less bright tone.  I would try the EJ line of D'adarrio if you want non-coated strings that will be cheaper.  That way if you don't like them, you won't feel so guilty taking them off early. 
Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 14, 2024, 07:29:41 PMI would try the EJ line of D'adarrio if you want non-coated strings that will be cheaper.  That way if you don't like them, you won't feel so guilty taking them off early. 

I replaced the strings with the lighter set (and did the loopy thing at the tuning machines so I can take them off easily and save them for another day or another guitar.)  The ones that were on the guitar were indeed pretty crusty and old and D'Addarios. 
The guitar sounds a lot better with the new strings (surprise surprise.)   I'll give them a few days of playing.   It certainly doesn't shimmer like the 80/20's on the Martin.   Is it the strings, the wood (Australian Blackwood versus Honduran Mahogany; Sitka versus Adi?)  I don't know... Cool to have a Larrivee...

Quote from: B0WIE on March 14, 2024, 07:50:46 PMLarrivee dreads built more for articulation than big bass. Martins are bassy but that's why I don't like them, they sound like mud to me.

There's things you can do to make the Larrivee sound fuller. Phosphor bronze strings give more overtones and sound fuller. Thicker strings (Mediums) help. If the action is low, shimming the saddle creates more downward pressure on the top, giving more volume and bass.

Perception changes how much bass we hear so strings with less treble sound fuller in bass. Also, a thicker pick with the edges sanded smooth will sound warmer.

I'm thinking I'll try the lighter ones for a while.   The E and B are the same gauge; the changes begin with G on down.   I can easily switch them out.   I just have to stock up on some acoustic strings...I seem to be inundated with Jazz and Classical strings...

Thanks for the ideas.... a

Quote from: apell on March 14, 2024, 08:18:11 PMI'm thinking I'll try the lighter ones for a while.
I am surprised all these posts happened within a 5 hour window...
And this is a guitar that also arrived "today".
And the strings are dead, no kidding. An older guitar.
Why don't you just put any new strings on and play it for a week and report back?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I actually own and play a 2003 D03BW as my main guitar.  I usually use medium strings but I also keep the guitar tuned down a whole step.  Right now I've got on a set of GHS mediums with round core, which makes them easier on the fingers.  They almost feel like lights.  Hard to beat a plain old set of D'Addarios.  But a personal favorite of mine are Ernie Ball Earthwoods.  They come in various gauges.  Try them all and have fun.

I tried a custom shop adi / sinker hog once. It was almost as good as my OM02. Almost.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/acoustic-guitar-strings/earthwood-phosphor-bronze-acoustic-guitar-strings#P02146

^^^ If you're going to play in standard tuning, definitely give these a try.  These Earthwoods sound better on my D03BW than anything else.  I bump it up to the mediums since I play tuned down. 

Will need to try new strings. I tend to stick to D'addario PB XT 11s.

I tried XS but found them god awful.

Will put on my to-do list.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: mike in lytle on March 14, 2024, 09:20:05 PMI am surprised all these posts happened within a 5 hour window...
And this is a guitar that also arrived "today".
And the strings are dead, no kidding. An older guitar.
Why don't you just put any new strings on and play it for a week and report back?
Mike
Yep....which is what I'm doing...In fact, the guitar sounds better after sitting overnight...LOL.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 14, 2024, 09:25:25 PMI actually own and play a 2003 D03BW as my main guitar.  I usually use medium strings but I also keep the guitar tuned down a whole step.  Right now I've got on a set of GHS mediums with round core, which makes them easier on the fingers.  They almost feel like lights.  Hard to beat a plain old set of D'Addarios.  But a personal favorite of mine are Ernie Ball Earthwoods.  They come in various gauges.  Try them all and have fun.
I have owned a lot of guitars..Bought them, played them, sold them.  I had some Earthwoods on one of my Guilds..Sounded nice, as I recall.  I have some Jazz Roundwounds..That might be cool.   But the guitar sounds a lot better today already..

Quote from: guitarman001 on March 15, 2024, 03:16:29 AMI tried a custom shop adi / sinker hog once. It was almost as good as my OM02. Almost.
Picking up my OM04 tomorrow from the shop.   Was in for bridge repair.   Haen't played it yet.   These are my first Larrivees.  I've had tens of Guilds and a few Martins.   

Quote from: Silence Dogood on March 15, 2024, 08:08:00 AMhttps://www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/acoustic-guitar-strings/earthwood-phosphor-bronze-acoustic-guitar-strings#P02146

^^^ If you're going to play in standard tuning, definitely give these a try.  These Earthwoods sound better on my D03BW than anything else.  I bump it up to the mediums since I play tuned down. 
Will do....  Just ordered some....  The BW  has such a different timbre.... I'll take seom pics of this guitar later.   It is in immaculate condition.

Quote from: apell on March 15, 2024, 12:58:23 PMYep....which is what I'm doing...In fact, the guitar sounds better after sitting overnight...LOL.
Sitting overnight? You will need to play the guitar at least a couple of hours a day for the guitar to begin showing its voice again.... it has nothing to do with strings. The new strings have their own influence, which is wild and bright, but the GUITAR will need to open up, only YOU can do that.
I am sure you are experienced enough to know this.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)