Ideas for a Forum RS-4

Started by Mikeymac, September 30, 2011, 12:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okay, we've kicked this can around a bit, then Matthew Larrivee himself jumped in and lit the pilot light yesterday.

So let's start this discussion and see if we can get anywhere near a consensus on what we want for a Forum RS-4.

First of all, which Forum guitar will this really be? If it gets decided and ordered before the next acoustic Forum guitar, is this the Forum V? Or do we start again and call this the electric Forum I? (I'd go with the latter, just to keep things separate and simple.)

Here are some of the ideas/options that have been kicked around so far:

Mahogany topped guitar (could also add tortoise binding with this top)
Quilted mahogany top
Quilted mahogany or flamed maple neck
Or offer various solid colors (with tort binding)
Special headstock inlay, such as the original JCL logo
Ebony finger board
"Forum I" inlayed on the fingerboard (12th fret?)
10 series fretboard inlays instead of the "block/triangle" inlays
Choice of pickups (buckers, P-90's min-buckers, Seymour Duncan no solder system)
Single piece wrap around bridge (make this a customer choice - could also choose standard RS-4 bridge/tailpiece)
Bigsby trem
Gold or chrome hardware option
Locking Schaller tuners

There are some others as well - I can't remember them all; I'll let someone else chime in now!

Matthew can also chime in and tell us which options simply "are not going to happen".

**Edited to make a few changes - I misquoted some other folks' suggestions...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:cop:OH you just S**K I have no money for any guitar's right now and you start this.You had better grow eye's out the back of your head....

:humour: Maybe yes maybe NO   :mad:
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Count me in on a forum electric.  I'd prefer to see a forum Bakersfield, however I will take any forum electric at this point.  Trying to get a consensus will be like herding cats.  I suggest the following:

1.)  Quilted maple top, possibly in a rootbeer burst.
2.)  Choice of gold or chrome hardware.
3.)  Standard RS4 bridge and tail piece, however I would like to see a Bigsby.
4.)  Schaller tuners, locking schallers if we can go the Bigsby route.
5.)  Choice of pups,  P90s or Humbuckers.
6.)  Choice of binding color, black or ivoroid.
7.)  Standard RS4 fretboard inlays, ebony board if possible with a Forum I and / or Monterey inlay.
8.)  Larrivee / Vine inlay on headstock.
9.)  Matthew's signature on back of headstock.

I am open to anything.  Maybe Matthew can offer some suggestions.

Mike
Seek perfection of character!
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!
Refrain from violent deeds!

I would be in as well.

Gold Top
Wrap around bridge
p90's or humbuckers
Chrome hardware
Standard RS4 fretboard inlays, ebony board if possible with a Forum I
Special Headstock Inlay
Matthew's signature and number of production on back of headstock

I am also open to anything, but would prefer to keep it "affordable"

Joe
Larrivee RS4
Larrivee 000-50
Gibson 54 Reissue
Fender Custom Shop "La Cabronita"

oh man, I've always been more than satisfied with my current RS4... but the thought of a forum RS4 with a  hog top and the tortoise binding sounds way too appealing to pass up on

Quote from: StephenM on September 30, 2011, 08:46:38 PM
but the thought of a forum RS4 with a  hog top and the tortoise binding sounds way too appealing to pass up on

Like many of the options noted above and would go with them BUT like this one best :blush:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I too would like a forum Bakersfield.  Or a RS4 with the wider Bakersfield neck.

mary
:blush:

Quote from: kaos on October 01, 2011, 07:36:05 AM
I too would like a forum Bakersfield.  Or a RS4 with the wider Bakersfield neck.

mary

Yeah, the 1 3/4 nut spec on the Bakersfield will keep me busy watching for someone who grabs one then decides some other guitar will make them sound just like (insert someone famous) and sells it cheap....

Quote from: StephenM on September 30, 2011, 08:46:38 PM
... but the thought of a forum RS4 with a  hog top and the tortoise binding sounds way too appealing to pass up on

I really like ^^this^^ option - but I also like the idea of:

all hog body/top
gold top finish
white binding
pups of choice
one piece wrap around bridge/tailpiece

I also like the idea of a 1 3/4" nut width!  :thumbsup
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Some forum-relevant suggestions:

Colour: #FF0000

Inlays:  :smile: :tongue: :yak: :ohmy: :mad: :blush: :doh :wacko:

etc.

I'd go with just about any of these suggestions, except a solid color. Especially not a Gold Top. Why hide a beautiful, one (or 100) of a kind guitar behind paint? My input, as if it would mean anything, is Burst finishes. And since it seems Rootbeer Burst is no longer a standard finish (just looked at the website), that could be a cool finish. Wonder how that'd look on a 'hog top, tho'?
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: tulk1 on October 02, 2011, 11:14:02 AM
I'd go with just about any of these suggestions, except a solid color. Especially not a Gold Top. Why hide a beautiful, one (or 100) of a kind guitar behind paint? My input, as if it would mean anything, is Burst finishes. And since it seems Rootbeer Burst is no longer a standard finish (just looked at the website), that could be a cool finish. Wonder how that'd look on a 'hog top, tho'?

Amen on the rootbeer burst...

I was having a hard time finding older posts.  Here's some links for posterity

Older Forum RS-4 discussion:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=31121.0

Matthew Larrivee quote:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=37877.20
Quote from: Matthew Larrivee on September 29, 2011, 10:40:07 PM
Someone has to get thier act together and get a forum RS-4 going  :whistling:

Problem with RB is that many of us already have it - thus we might want to lean towards something unique
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 02, 2011, 01:30:18 PM
Problem with RB is that many of us already have it - thus we might want to lean towards something unique
Maybe something new and unique could be worked up by the plant. Heritage has colors called Almond Sunburst, Dark Almond and Old Style Sunburst (which is a super color). I have guitars in all those colors, so when I ordered my last one they sorta mixed them and came up with a different color. Just a thought.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

I also think a burst finish would be the way to go.  I suggested rootbeer burst earlier but would be open to almost anything.   First I think we should decide on a top wood, be it a mahogany, maple, walnut, quilted, flame, plain or other.  The choice of top wood would then help dictate what finish choices we should consider.  What about using swamp ash like the Bakersfield.

Mike
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Mahogany in a transparent Amber would be my vote.

Kurt
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

OK I got the colour....Amber burst...
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 02, 2011, 10:10:33 PM
OK I got the colour....Amber burst...

I wouldn't mind it in amber burst.   :smile:

Mike
Be faithful!
Endeavor!
Respect others!

Quote from: Cybercanyon on October 03, 2011, 02:25:45 AM
I wouldn't mind it in amber burst.   :smile:

Mike

I wouldn't either but between that, Charcoal and RB they are very popular here - I would say the Big Three