"older" Parlors Vs. "newer" Parlors

Started by PeterG, June 30, 2004, 08:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

i'd also add that the new gloss models make the satin models an even better bargain. in fact, due to their increasing scarcity, the street price on the satin models seem to be going up. sometimes you'll see them on ebay selling for more than what you would pay new from a dealer w/ attractive pricing.

you can also find the gloss models at fqms. http://www.fqms.com/Static/inventory/guita...ry_larrivee.cfm
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

Has anyone played both new and old? Is there a difference in tone/sound? or is it just like L-03 vs L-05 difference.

Quotein any event you cant buy at any price a better Parlor size guitar than A larrivee.  Robb
Point, counterpoint.  I know this is the Larrivee forum, and one of my guitars is a rather nice OM-05.  Nonetheless, I don't beleive the above statement.  So, just to post a counterpoint, consider:

Santa Cruz PJ
Froggy Bottom Parlor
David Webber Parlor
Goodall Parlor

Just to name a few.  I've played each of the above Parlors, several of some of them.  They are more expensive than the Larrivee Parlor.  Each is, in my subjective opinion, a superior instrument to the Larrivee Parlor.

But you've got to be careful there. Those are not all really "parlor" size. The Goodall parlor, for instance, is closer to a 00 size. If you want to compare that to a Larrivee, compare it to a 00-05 or 00-09 which have a way bigger sound than the Larrivee parlors.

The Webber is bigger too and closer to the larrivee 00 (14" lower bout vs 13.25"). Now the Cruz PJ looks like the same scale and similar dimensions.

I'm not disagreeing that there are better parlor guitars than Larrivee, though at a far higher price, just that it's hard to compare apples to apples in lots of cases.

QuoteBut you've got to be careful there. Those are not all really "parlor" size. The Goodall parlor, for instance, is closer to a 00 size. If you want to compare that to a Larrivee, compare it to a 00-05 or 00-09 which have a way bigger sound than the Larrivee parlors.

The Webber is bigger too and closer to the larrivee 00 (14" lower bout vs 13.25"). Now the Cruz PJ looks like the same scale and similar dimensions.

I'm not disagreeing that there are better parlor guitars than Larrivee, though at a far higher price, just that it's hard to compare apples to apples in lots of cases.
A parlor guitar does not have standard dimensions.  Sure, if a "parlor" is approachng an OO in body cavity size, it likely begins to become something other than a parlor.  My only point was to offer a different opinion than the quote from another poster.  He said the Larrivee parlor is the best parlor made regardless of price.  I don't beleive that's true, at least to my hands and ears.  Nevertheless, Larrivee parlors are very nice.  Haven't tried the -05 or -09 parlors yet.  Looking forward to it.

I know absolutely nothing about parlor guitars (size etc.)...but I did just buy one sight unseen and unplayed. Matter of fact, I'd never played a Larrivee in my life until I opened the box when the UPS guy dropped it off last week...I have a couple of Goodall CJs and some upper end Taylors. Obvioulsy there is no comparison in sound as the Taylors and the Goodalls are larger guitars....that said, I am really getting to like and appreciate the little parlor...it has a terrific tone for such a small guitar and I tend to pick it all the time because it's so convenient....problem is, I'm not playing my other guitars as much!!!

With the cost of the Larrivee parlors even with the upgrades, I think the satin finished parlors are a great deal and getting better. I don't know if I would pay for the newer, more expensive parlors or not  but they sure look nice....

The Larrivee parlor is a great little guitar for the money...no doubt about it...  :D  
Larrivee Satin Koa/Sitka Parlor...

I have a Satin Mahogany Parlor and I love it. I expect I wouldn't mind having a Rosewood one either. GAS again! I don't know about the new ones. Does anyone know? I have only seen the pics and personally haven't seen or played one. The price puts me right off. Especially as I got a good deal on my Parlor.

Something to think about ...

Earlier I posted "I have a two-part theory that I'm working with. That theory is that"  ...

(1) the new Parlors only exist on Larrivee's web site -- according to Robb, GuitarAdoptions.com has the newer models.  If they do, their website doesn't indicate that.  Bleumax says that fqms.com has them.  When I searched their site for "P-05" or "P-09" or even "Parlor" or "Parlour", I got nothing.

(2) all the stores are trying to dump the satin finish models before taking delivery of the new models and/or making the new models available."  -- This is something I couldn't really prove or disprove.  However, Larrivee says they have these new Parlor Guitars and nobody seems to have them.

Wasn't it the French Philosopher Des Cartes who, after much effort, came the conclusion that you couldn't prove anything and that ultimately you had to rely on "best guess" based on what information you do have?

Now let's take a look at my original questions.

Does anyone here own one?  So far, no one owns one.

Has anyone here ever played one?  robb says he tried a P-05.  Was that at GuitarAdoptions.com?

Does anyone know of a store that actually has one available in stock?  So far, no evidence.

If you had a guitar to sell, why would you not want to tell people that you had that guitar to sell?

I have had several in stock, sold many, and have new ones in now!
Just go to the site, and in the search box, type parlor!

PS I can't get the New Mahogany and Maple ones in fast enough!

peterg,

unless the information on fqms' website is dated, they have two gloss parlors in stock.

http://www.fqms.com/Static/inventory/guita...ry_larrivee.cfm

LG-P05M Larrivee Mahogany   Gloss Parlor   List $1329.00 Call
LG-P09FM Larrivee Flamed Maple Gloss Parlor   List $1429.00 Call

also, in my recent search for the satin parlor, some dealers (including fqms) offered to sell me the gloss parlor instead since they no longer carry the satin parlor. you may want to give e.m. shorts (www.wichitaband.com) a call too. elderly used to carry them, but they look like they've sold out.

i seem to recall someone mentioning that they bought the new gloss parlor...can't remember who it was though.

just some food for thought, but if you're willing to spend a little more than what you would pay for a gloss parlor, you may want to consider going to an OO-05 w/out the special appointments (assuming you can find it). every once in awhile you can find a used one for a good price. this assumes that there is no tone/volume difference between the satin and gloss parlors. since i've never played the gloss parlor, i can't write this definitively.

i'm sure you've read on a number of the threads that for the size of the guitar, people are amazed by the volume and tone. i'm in that camp too. although i really like the larrivee parlor, IMHO, if i had to spend a couple of hundred more for it, i'm not sure i would do it. of course, this is just my opinion.

i'm sure that my opinion is partly based on the fact that i can't get my guitars to sing the way that some of the other folks on the forum can.

anyway, good luck.
Paragon
Gibson
Webber

No it wasnt at Guitar adoptions it was at a local dealer who is overpriced and over ego'd  ... anyways a toll free call to one the dealers named in this Long Long post will answer your questions and get you the Parlor you want...Just do it !

P.s. Dave when can i expect the shippment of Bareque'd brisket ?  dont all forum members get some ?
Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical