Question about Taylor guitars

Started by winmorgan, December 09, 2006, 12:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 23, 2007, 01:28:45 PM
Got it....maybe they are the Lexus of the guitar world.  Snob-appeal.  Excellent quality of course, but Toyota costs a lot less.

Taylor makes good instruments.  On a scale of 1 to 10, maybe in the 4-6 range.  Same for Larrivee.  Not a Lexus, more like a Ford.

Quote from: winmorgan on December 09, 2006, 12:35:46 AM
Hi,

I've been looking for a Larrivee for about half a year now but recently saw a Taylor which I like a lot.  I'm way out of knowing about guitars for some years now...been playing a Gibson J-200 for the past 30+ years.  What I liked about the Larrivee I played was great action and sound.  Can anyone tell me, please, how well regarded Taylor guitars are?  I was interested in a rather high-end Taylor I saw but will not have a chance to play it, so I'd really welcome any opinions on Taylor playability, quality,  action, sound, etc.

Thanks for any input,

Win

FWIW: I chose the Larrivee dread over the Taylor (both sapele) because I thought it has similar brightness, but had nicer lower end sounds and it had better carry and no buzzing with higher fret positions. The dealer could be the reason too because the Larrivee dealer is a well known repair shop that sets up all of their guitars and everything they sold was set up well opposed to the Taylors just hung on the wall at the local Guitar Center and another shop. After that, I'll also say the maple binding and particular wood with the Larrivee was nicer. My Larrivee neck is not as nice looking as some others (Larrivee, Martin, Taylor), but the top is very nice looking and same for back and sides. The biggest disappointment in my shopping was Martin - what I wanted for 30+ years, but most withing $1000 of my Larrivee were either not set up well, sounded dull, or had poor looking spruce tops.

My decision was easier when I did my best to shop with hands and ears before eyes. The result a surprise, and I'm still happy.

I share having same guitar a long time with the OP here. It's interesting how then a 150 mile circle yielded a few places with a few brands and now a 20 mile circle yields many great choices.