RIP Toby Keith

Started by ducktrapper, February 06, 2024, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasn't a big listener of his music but felt really sad to hear his diagnosis a few months back and then this. Cancer is such an awful thing. I've heard so many people over the years say Toby was a really great guy behind the scenes.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on February 06, 2024, 01:25:03 PMWasn't a big listener of his music but felt really sad to hear his diagnosis a few months back and then this. Cancer is such an awful thing. I've heard so many people over the years say Toby was a really great guy behind the scenes.

I think it's unfortunate that he was judged in the media by a couple of songs that weren't actually that typical of his repertoire. I think he voiced what most were feeling, at the time, and it's just damned sad that politicians screwed it all up spending billions on a stupid project to bring democracy to countries that prefer to live in the stone age. Yes, unlike Steve Earle who is a nasty piece of work despite his talent, everyone said Toby was a good guy. Funny how this stuff works.

I don't listen to modern country music but I still know a few TK songs.  I call that kind of music "Walmart" music since they always have it playing in the stores where I live.  It's always somewhat fascinated to me how in just a couple lines of a song, the listener can be taken back to a time in his own history or at least immediately relate to the lyric.  Those Nashville guys are great writers if nothing else. 

I saw Toby Keith on an episode Hagar's Rock and Roll Road-trip a few years ago.  He had a beautiful sprawling ranch-type property somewhere in Oklahoma.  He seemed like very much the Everyman who hadn't forgotten where he came from, the people that got him there, and what the average American endures in modern life.  I didn't leave the episode eager to hear his music but it did give a certain amount of respect for Keith, his attitude, and his style.  RIP. 

I have never listened to the music of Toby Keith or for that matter, Taylor Swift. Watching Newsmax tonight, it pointed out that Swift has yet to acknowledge the death of Keith who advanced her career and signed her to his record label when she was starting out. Interesting how so-called artists let their political views influence their personal indebtedness, and the morons that listen to their opinion's.

This is just terrific. Probably his last performance. Don't let the old man in. I read the same thing about Swift. I don't care a thing about her but she is diminished by this pettiness. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfQDqY6mC4