Highway 61 revisited

Started by StringPicker6, September 30, 2023, 07:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I only got into Dylan very late in life, and even now I only know the hits.  I was at a barnes & noble a few days ago and a CD of Highway 61 Revisited was for sale for $9.99 so I grabbed it.  After the first listen it was standard Dylan to my ears.  However, I've had it in the car playing a few times now, and the songs are really starting to grow on me and the magic is appearing.  Some people say it's his best album ever.  It's really good, but I think it takes multiple listens to really let the songs sink in.  Does anyone else like this album? 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on September 30, 2023, 07:53:42 PMDoes anyone else like this album? 
Yes.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

ok.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

It's been part of my playlist since it first came out.  Never got tired of it. 
From a Buick 6.....It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry.....Queen Jane Approximately....Tombstone Blues and the radio hit LIke a Rolling Stone and others...
Every song a gem in my opinion.  Plus Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar on some tracks. 
This should be in every Dylan fan's collection.

Dylan had a great year in 1965 putting out three classic albums. Bringing it All Back Home, HW 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. I love them all. BoB, the first ever double album, may well be the best but they're all great. HW 61 begins in my former hometown of Thunder Bay Ontario and runs all the way to New Orleans. Spent many an hour on it.   :cheers

Yep, but the odd thing is that after we got out of the 60's I never bought or listened to Dylan's music and honestly don't get him now. It's as if he peaked for me in high school, was an important part of my musical education but I've moved on to other things.

Highway 61 is a lifetime top 5 favorite album. I wore out the grooves trying to figure out & play every single song on the album  ( I do a mean "Desolation Row"...)  but it's almost as if Dylan hit his peak for me with that album because many of his later hits that decade I only heard because some other band like The Byrds, covered them.

Dylan's continued popularity does give me hope in the sense that someone with a less than quality voice and a horrifying vocal style can still make money in the pop music industry. <ducks>
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on October 01, 2023, 04:59:00 PMYep, but the odd thing is that after we got out of the 60's I never bought or listened to Dylan's music and honestly don't get him now. It's as if he peaked for me in high school, was an important part of my musical education but I've moved on to other things.

Highway 61 is a lifetime top 5 favorite album. I wore out the grooves trying to figure out & play every single song on the album  ( I do a mean "Desolation Row"...)  but it's almost as if Dylan hit his peak for me with that album because many of his later hits that decade I only heard because some other band like The Byrds, covered them.

Dylan's continued popularity does give me hope in the sense that someone with a less than quality voice and a horrifying vocal style can still make money in the pop music industry. <ducks>

Wow. He's put a lot of great music since then. I can't think of a truly bad album and I couldn't disagree more with your last statement. Each to their own.  :beer

I've been listening to the "Fragments" album, one of the Bootleg Series, and enjoying it a lot. Originally, the album "Time out of Mind" was produced by Daniel Lanois and won three Grammys including album of the year in 1998. "Fragments" contains the entire album stripped of Lanois' murky mix and replaced with one of Dylan's choosing. Actually much better than the album that won the Grammy, in my opinion. Dylan has been his own producer under the moniker Jack Frost ever since disagreeing with how Lanois produced this album.   

The only Dylan stuff I know (besides the stuff everyone knows) is his work with the Traveling Wilburys.  I'm a big fan of what those fellows did and wish they'd have done more.  I'm also a big fan of Charlie Sexton, who plays lead for Dylan (and Elvis Costello) on the road.  Man, what a great job that must be! 

Quote from: Silence Dogood on October 02, 2023, 09:19:09 AMThe only Dylan stuff I know (besides the stuff everyone knows) is his work with the Traveling Wilburys.  I'm a big fan of what those fellows did and wish they'd have done more.  I'm also a big fan of Charlie Sexton, who plays lead for Dylan (and Elvis Costello) on the road.  Man, what a great job that must be! 

Dylan knows something about hiring great bands. I saw him with Charlie and Larry Campbell and that great band when he toured with Paul Simon in the 90's.  And ain't it a hoot that The Wilburys, with all those great singers, have Dylan doing the lion's share of the vocals? It's almost like they know something or other about great singing!  :wink:

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 02, 2023, 01:21:56 PMDylan knows something about hiring great bands. I saw him with Charlie and Larry Campbell and that great band when he toured with Paul Simon in the 90's.  And ain't it a hoot that The Wilburys, with all those great singers, have Dylan doing the lion's share of the vocals? It's almost like they know something or other about great singing!  :wink:
Yeah, very odd.  If I was in a band with Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison, you'd never see me near a mic.

Quote from: Silence Dogood on October 02, 2023, 02:08:16 PMYeah, very odd.  If I was in a band with Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison, you'd never see me near a mic.

If Dylan lacks anything, after all these years, I doubt that it's confidence.  :laughin:

His 2020 album, Rough and Rowdy Ways got good reviews.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 02, 2023, 07:16:11 PMHis 2020 al, bum, Rough and Rowdy Ways got good reviews.

It's a good album. His band is very good, as usual. The TV special, Shadow Kingdom is pretty interesting, as well. Actually, the last album he made that got poor reviews, Under the Red Sky, is one of my favorites. The critics were out to lunch on that one. It has all the seeds that made Time Out of Mind one of their favorites. Since TooM, he's made Love and Theft, Modern Times, Together Through Life, Tempest, the three Sinatra inspired albums and Rough and Rowdy Ways. I'd say Tempest was the weakest. The Sinatra stuff may be an acquired taste but his vocals are amazing, imo.
I love Bob. I've seen him live six times and he only disappointed once. I wish I could say the same thing about my performances. LOL       

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 02, 2023, 07:16:11 PMHis 2020 album, Rough and Rowdy Ways got good reviews.

He is touring that album.  There are 2 shows in ?? Nov I think here in Baltimore.  I'd like to go just to say I had seen His Bobness live.  But based on all the reviews from friends who have seen him live, I really don't want to go.  Plus, his music is hit or miss for me.  There's a lot I'm not real keen on.  I haven't listened to a lot of this album.

Ed

Quote from: eded on October 03, 2023, 05:11:30 PMHe is touring that album.  There are 2 shows in ?? Nov I think here in Baltimore.  I'd like to go just to say I had seen His Bobness live.  But based on all the reviews from friends who have seen him live, I really don't want to go.  Plus, his music is hit or miss for me.  There's a lot I'm not real keen on.  I haven't listened to a lot of this album.

Ed

The thing with Dylan live is not to have any expectations of what the songs will sound like. He reworks everything and is liable to do every song different the next night. Even his band members must be constantly on their toes to accompany him.
If you have expectations of songs sounding a certain way or even having the lyrics you are familiar with, you might be disappointed. Bobcats are aware of this and see him for that very reason. I have a friend who has seen him almost 400 times. Takes his vacation and follows the latest tour. I couldn't guess how many recordings he has and has published a book annotating every show and every song up to the point it was published. Someone informed Dylan of this book and asked him if he was interested in seeing it. Bob apparently said he already knew where he'd been but if you have a book telling where I'll be, that would interest me. LOL
As for me, I've seen him six times and all but one were terrific. Anyone could have a bad night but when you approach things like Dylan does, any night could seem a bad night to anyone not into it. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Tangled-Up-Tapes-Recording-History/dp/096985692X

One thing is for certain: Bob should be playing a Larrivee L body.  :guitar
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R

Quote from: StringPicker6 on October 03, 2023, 09:33:55 PMOne thing is for certain: Bob should be playing a Larrivee L body.  :guitar
The last time I saw him he was playing keyboard.

Bob will play in town here in three weeks at our recently refurbished theatre. Ticket prices range from $153 (Row M balcony) to $1,753 (Front Row). Yes, you read that right and there are still two front row seats available. Since I have to spend wisely now that I'm retired, I paid $160 for three tickets to see Tom Paxton and John McCutcheon on 10/29 with a couple of my buddies.

Quote from: teh on October 04, 2023, 03:18:54 AMBob will play in town here in three weeks at our recently refurbished theatre. Ticket prices range from $153 (Row M balcony) to $1,753 (Front Row). Yes, you read that right and there are still two front row seats available. Since I have to spend wisely now that I'm retired, I paid $160 for three tickets to see Tom Paxton and John McCutcheon on 10/29 with a couple of my buddies.

I'm at a point where I wouldn't pay that much to see the second coming. Seriously, I'd say there's no one that I'd pay more than a $10.00 cover to see.  :blush: