Forum VI (based on Forum III) any interest?

Started by mike in lytle, May 07, 2021, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 09, 2021, 09:57:09 PM
John did not have any particular thing in mind. He may have thought originally about something simple, like a t-shirt, and may have been surprised by my suggestion to do a new version of the Forum III. His response to me (am I going off base??) was Larrivee would support what we might suggest, and if that was just a tee shirt, cool.
John invited us to stay in touch about whatever the group decides.
Mike

Ok. Cool. Carry on! I'm on board.

Quote from: Bard on May 09, 2021, 11:42:14 PM
Ok. Cool. Carry on! I'm on board.
Alright, it might help if you were to look at the original LS Forum III and indicate some preferences.
Previous posts in this thread may help. The original Forum III discussions (back in 2009) ran hundreds of pages in the forum.
Also, the first couple posts in this thread will give you tons of background if you go there and read.
This newer Forum III will be determined by group input, including yours, if you end up participating.
We can answer any questions or concerns and provide any additional input you need (by "we" I kind of mean "me" at this point, no one else is currently pushing this).
Thanks!
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I should mention..... I joined this forum in 2011, which by that time the Forum III was already a done deal and delivered. What I know about is is reading the old posts (thousands!) and having played Danny's Forum III #1 on a visit up to Austin awhile back. Danny was one of the several hard-core drivers of the original Forum III effort.
This is a worthwhile endeavor.
I also was given a green light to mention this on the Larrivee Facebook group (by a moderator of the FB group). Haven't done so yet, but I know that there are several forum members who pop up there sometimes, and I have looked up old Forum III posts on the FB page (not a lot). The cross-pollination might help.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 09, 2021, 09:57:09 PM
John invited us to stay in touch about whatever the group decides.
Mike

Emphasis on "whatever the group decides."

This is your Forum and fortunately has JCL & sons blessings; its your Forum. Forum Guitars are a lot of work to organize and at times can feel like herding cats but have fun with it and keep it cordial and realistic  :cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I've seen two attempts at organizing a new forum guitar in the past few years. Both sputtered out, one due to lack of interest, the other because people just couldn't agree. With customs easily available now, not a lot of people want to compromise anything. I'd ask John if there's anything they can do make this special. Being a forum guitar, maybe they're willing to do something for us.

FWIW, I think starting out by calling it a Forum III version 2 might not be the best step. I'd recommend making it it's own thing. Something new that people can get hyped about.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on May 10, 2021, 03:16:23 PM
I've seen two attempts at organizing a new forum guitar in the past few years. Both sputtered out, one due to lack of interest, the other because people just couldn't agree. With customs easily available now, not a lot of people want to compromise anything. I'd ask John if there's anything they can do make this special. Being a forum guitar, maybe they're willing to do something for us.

FWIW, I think starting out by calling it a Forum III version 2 might not be the best step. I'd recommend making it it's own thing. Something new that people can get hyped about.
Great points. The term was used to describe the proposed guitar in a simple way. The idea is another run of the Forum III (an LS-03), possibly with new woods. That concept consolidates a LOT of ideas. The group can decide what to call it. We can start that discussion anytime. For me, it's another column in the spreadsheet.
I am already hyped, but not to the point of forcing the idea on anyone.
Looking forward to what your preferences might be, if you have interest.
Mike

Yeah, I think it should be called whichever number is next in the Forum guitars nomenclature, so Forum VI or Forum VII, whichever is correct.

I'll focus in my preferences here for the sake of the spreadsheet:

LS 12-fret 03 Series as suggested
Any Spruce top (although Alpine would be nice if not too pricey)
Maple B&S
With that B&S choice, I'd suggest Rosewood or some other dark wood for the body binding, and maybe even for the fretboard binding...
I like the 3 microdots at the 12 fret idea
No pickguard (or throw it in the case)

Mine will be a lefty, of course. Thank you!

:coffee :donut :coffee :donut2
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

P.S. For those interested in a 12 fret with cutaway, I'd suggest getting a C-03TE Tommy Emmanuel Signature guitar; they're very nice, sound great and feel very good with that 12 fret neck.

If the Florentine (sharp/pointed) cutaway bothers you, I'd just say - give it time, it will grow on you. No one ever poo-pooed a Gibson ES-175 for its sharp cutaway!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 11, 2021, 01:01:39 PM
Yeah, I think it should be called whichever number is next in the Forum guitars nomenclature, so Forum VI or Forum VII, whichever is correct.

I'll focus in my preferences here for the sake of the spreadsheet:

LS 12-fret 03 Series as suggested
Any Spruce top (although Alpine would be nice if not too pricey)
Maple B&S
With that B&S choice, I'd suggest Rosewood or some other dark wood for the body binding, and maybe even for the fretboard binding...
I like the 3 microdots at the 12 fret idea
No pickguard (or throw it in the case)
Mine will be a lefty, of course. Thank you!
:coffee :donut :coffee :donut2

Got it.
I agree it will be the next Forum in the series, which would Forum VII.
I feel safe in saying we would specify no pickguard installed, but supply one, or both clear and tortoise.
The 3 microdots is a nod towards legacy, however other suggestions are welcome.
Mike

This is great to see the VII getting some traction. Thank you Mike for spearheading this project. I will check in on this, and the other thread, periodically. Mike knows how to reach me if you need answers to any questions. If you make it to the start line and ready to pull the trigger, I will take it from there. In the meantime, have fun trying to decide what you all want :wink:  :donut :coffee

Quote from: J M Larrivée on May 11, 2021, 03:44:42 PM

This is great to see the VII getting some traction. Thank you Mike for spearheading this project. I will check in on this, and the other thread, periodically. Mike knows how to reach me if you need answers to any questions. If you make it to the start line and ready to pull the trigger, I will take it from there. In the meantime, have fun trying to decide what you all want :wink:  :donut :coffee
I changed the title of the thread, however, I cannot make universal changes on all posts so it will probably cause confusion.
Confusion is good.
Mike

I've stayed out of this because I suspect my interests would be so far out of the mainstream as to never standing a chance, but iffin I was to buy me another guitar it would have to be something that I do not have today. And I got a few guitars scattered hither and yon.
OK, here goes (nothing).

I could like the LS 12 fret.
It would have to be a cut though for a 12 fret. I use all them things.
And short scale, too.
And bring back the aluminum microdots.
How about a black or wooden heel plate. (I do not like the ivoriod heel plates.)
Finally, and this is no doubt the biggest and baddest deal breaker: cedar and rose.

OK, I know I'll never see this guitar get built, but at least I receive my Also Ran certificate for participating. :humour:

Quote from: Queequeg on May 11, 2021, 04:57:36 PM
I've stayed out of this because I suspect my interests would be so far out of the mainstream as to never standing a chance, but iffin I was to buy me another guitar it would have to be something that I do not have today. And I got a few guitars scattered hither and yon.
OK, here goes (nothing).

I could like the LS 12 fret.
It would have to be a cut though for a 12 fret. I use all them things.
And short scale, too.
And bring back the aluminum microdots.
How about a black or wooden heel plate. (I do not like the ivoriod heel plates.)
Finally, and this is no doubt the biggest and baddest deal breaker: cedar and rose.

OK, I know I'll never see this guitar get built, but at least I receive my Also Ran certificate for participating. :humour:
Ok, I added your stuff to the spreadsheet, and added a column for "scale".
FWIW, the most recent Larrivees I have have a maple heel plate to match the maple binding. Hopefully, Larrivee is out of the ivoroid business. And I am going to assume the heel plate will match the binding. We will be able to make sure of this before we reach the starting line.
Microdots, are you ok with the 3 dots at the 12th? (I like micros better than full dots anyhow).
Look, the way this ends up I might not be able to get the guitar I prefer myself. Who knows.
Much more discussion will ensue.
We might have to ask Larrivee to provide "Also Ran.... Forum VII" tee shirts.
And I have eight Larrivee acoustics, so I relate.
Mike

Just so everyone knows, I posted to the Larrivee Guitar Owners Facebook page about the Forum VII.
I think inviting other Larrivee enthusiasts to the effort is a good thing.
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 11, 2021, 09:57:51 PM
Just so everyone knows, I posted to the Larrivee Guitar Owners Facebook page about the Forum VII.
Mike
Definitely a good idea. Many people check in occasionally, so they wouldn't be aware of the new effort. If anyone knows another way to reach out to semi active members please do share.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Interested, but it will depend on cost.  I don't have a lot of expendable income for fun stuff.  

LS, possibly 12 fret
I'm amused by the idea of cedar top, rosewood b/s (what can I say...I'm a classical geek!)
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I love this idea, count me in! My ideal preferences are:

LS no cutaway
Maple B&S
12 Fret
Spruce Top (Alpine would be great!)
Rosewood or other dark wood binding
Clear pickguard

Looking forward to this gaining momentum, it's fun to talk about anyway, right?

Cheers,
Scott Southworth
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OOO-40R Custom
Larrivee OM-03 MT Custom
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03MH
Taylor 910
Taylor GA-WS
Taylor GA-Custom Shop
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Journey OF660M
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 11, 2021, 01:01:39 PM

Quote from: J M Larrivée on May 11, 2021, 03:44:42 PM

This is great to see the VII getting some traction.

Quote from: mike in lytle on May 11, 2021, 09:57:51 PM
Mike

FWIW the last Forum Guitar was the Forum V - an RS4 Electric. Following suite the next Forum Guitar ought to be the Forum VI...... twice the Forum III   :winkin:

I have modified the Subject titles to lessen the confusion
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: musicrowscott on May 12, 2021, 07:27:09 AM
I love this idea, count me in! My ideal preferences are:

LS no cutaway
Maple B&S
12 Fret
Spruce Top (Alpine would be great!)
Rosewood or other dark wood binding
Clear pickguard.
Looking forward to this gaining momentum, it's fun to talk about anyway, right?
Cheers,

Scott, thanks for the input, and the optimism!
Mike

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on May 12, 2021, 10:19:28 AM
FWIW the last Forum Guitar was the Forum V - an RS4 Electric. Following suite the next Forum Guitar ought to be the Forum VI...... twice the Forum III   :winkin:
I have modified the Subject titles to lessen the confusion
The last forum guitar was the failed VI, a 00v-03 MT guitar that was discussed back in 2012 and 2013.
The name VI has already been used, and though the effort fell short, the threads are all here, the discussions recorded, the specs known, the potential dealer identified.
We cannot erase that history. The Forum VI was an idea that failed to make it to production. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
In addition, the Forum VI is documented on the wiki site. You can't make that go away.
Mike