Tommy Smothers passing

Started by teh, December 30, 2023, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Smothers Brothers were one of the best parts of my youth in the 1960s. Their comedy and satire brought laughter and perspective to a crazy world. In their own way, they were huge contributors to the continued success of folk music. Dick Smothers was the perfect straight man for his brother.

Fortunately, we have plenty of you tube videos to keep their spirit alive. Wishing peace and comfort to Tommy Smothers' family and thanks for the laughs.

I remember enjoying them as a young boy, and still do. They get played on Sirius radio's comedy channels occasionally and they are just as unique and funny to me today. What's not often mentioned is just how good they were musically, as well. Tommy handled his Guild pretty well, as did Dickie on his bass! And their harmonies were always excellent.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

I was born in 1976, so my memories are from their short-lived re-boot of the Smothers Brothers show in the early 90's I think.  Great episodes, and it makes you wonder if variety shows will ever come back again.  Brilliant comedy...   RIP Tommy.
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
Larrivee LV-03R