David Francey

Started by ducktrapper, October 18, 2023, 11:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just found out that David is playing in nearby Amherst Wisconsin in November. I've seen him several times in Canada at The Winnipeg Folk Festival and in Thunder Bay at Lakehead University and love his songs and stories. Interesting that he's written all these tunes and plays no musical instrument. Apparently, he made them up in his head while working construction. He's won many awards in Canada. He's also done some very good recordings with Kieran Kane, Kevin Welch and Fats Kaplin. Anyone else a fan?

Huge fan of David Francey here. I was his sound tech for his show on Oct. 1 in NS.He is an extremely nice and gracious guy, and a pleasure to work with.

I was surprised to see him set a bouzouki on stage as he entered for sound check. After finishing his vocal and monitor check, he pulled it out and said "bring this up until it is on the edge of human perception". I think he did two songs with it.

He was backed up by three cracker jack players/singers, all from the Maritimes. It was their last show of that leg of the tour, where he will pickup a couple of Ontario players to do that leg. Terra Spencer, a very talented local singer songwriter, opened his show and also sat in on piano and provided backing vocals. She was going to continue on the tour with David.

It was a special night for me as it was my last live show as a tech. I actually retired at the end of the summer, but when I got the call and learned it was for a David Francey show I took the gig! But now, it's time to hang up the mic cables and play some guitar!
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on October 18, 2023, 02:48:57 PMHuge fan of David Francey here. I was his sound tech for his show on Oct. 1 in NS.He is an extremely nice and gracious guy, and a pleasure to work with.

I was surprised to see him set a bouzouki on stage as he entered for sound check. After finishing his vocal and monitor check, he pulled it out and said "bring this up until it is on the edge of human perception". I think he did two songs with it.

He was backed up by three cracker jack players/singers, all from the Maritimes. It was their last show of that leg of the tour, where he will pickup a couple of Ontario players to do that leg. Terra Spencer, a very talented local singer songwriter, opened his show and also sat in on piano and provided backing vocals. She was going to continue on the tour with David.

It was a special night for me as it was my last live show as a tech. I actually retired at the end of the summer, but when I got the call and learned it was for a David Francey show I took the gig! But now, it's time to hang up the mic cables and play some guitar!

Cool. I remember him attempting to play one song on some stringed thing, maybe a bouzouki, and saying he was attempting to learn guitar. I guess we'll see how that's going.
I pulled out a guitar last night and worked on Broken Glass. Nice simple arrangement with Dave Clarke, on the Skating Rink album. I believe I'll add it to my set list. Love that song!