Telecaster Model

Started by Strings4Him, December 27, 2010, 04:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quick question, I hope  :winkin:

I have heard that the Telecaster model is very versatile.  Why is that?  Is it the guitar shape? Pickups? Combo of both?  I am fairly new to electric guitar, so thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.

In a word Simplicity

But also:

It's the two very different sounding pickups, you have a very bright, trebly pickup at the bridge (brighter than most other guitars bridge pickups), and a rather smooth, dark, mellow pickup at the neck,  also since the bridge pickup is so bright, and the Tele's tone is so snappy because of its construction (bridge, scale, etc.), using the tone pot gives a lot of interesting and useable tones, whereas on most other guitars the tone pots can be muffled  when turning it down.

Sure hope Larrivee considers doing a Tele style at some point I'm sure what their RS4 did to the LP they could again enhance a Tele with an offering of this style that has a huge following. :nana_guitar
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

:+1: for joyce's post.I will say get the 3 bar bridge {original bridge} instead of the 6 indy saddle style {more stratty sounding}.Also change the tone cap from the .022 to a .033.You'll get more tonal sweep.I can go from chicken pickin to sounding like a Gibson ES175 with the tone rolled off.So country to jazz and everything in between.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on December 27, 2010, 10:25:48 PM
:+1: for joyce's post.I will say get the 3 bar bridge {original bridge} instead of the 6 indy saddle style {more stratty sounding}.Also change the tone cap from the .022 to a .033.You'll get more tonal sweep.I can go from chicken pickin to sounding like a Gibson ES175 with the tone rolled off.So country to jazz and everything in between.

Thanks.  Do you have a pic of the 3-bar bridge and tone cap?  I think my question shows where I am on the electric guitar learning curve--quite low, that is.   :ohmy:

Isnt standard tele tone cap .05uf?

You mostly see .047 or .022.I not seen .05.

I don't know how to resize the oix I have but if you seach for pre 1975 fender tele's you will see the 3 barral bridge I'm talking about.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Fender Tele 3-bar bridge

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: unclrob on December 29, 2010, 08:55:38 AM
You mostly see .047 or .022.I not seen .05.

I don't know how to resize the oix I have but if you seach for pre 1975 fender tele's you will see the 3 barral bridge I'm talking about.

The early broadcasters and esquires (1950-1961) used a Cornell-Dubilier 0.05uf and or a 0.1uf(woah thats dark) paper in oil capacitor in the circuit. 1961-1985 used ceramics of the same measurements. Most people who use a paper in oil cap today use 0.047 because 0.05 is not available in a usable form. The reality is that the different between 0.047 and 0.05 is inaudible thanks to the 10%-15% plus/minus standard the caps had.

I personally prefer a .022 - .033, but the .047 is historially more accurate.

bel

Tuff thanks for posting the pix.

bel I'm not much of a traditionalist when it come's to parts anymore.The original set was toggle foward was neck pick with tone cap,bypassed the tone pot,so they could double the bass player.Middle position was neck pu thru the tone pot and back was bridge bypassing the tone pot.I'm not sure when they switch to what was being done after sale which was neck,both pu's,bridge thru the tone pot.I think Fender changed over in the late 60's early 70's.I know lots of guys hunting down the old paper in oil caps and the ceramic's.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

:+1: for joyce's post.I will say get the 3 bar bridge {original bridge} instead of the 6 indy saddle style {more stratty sounding}.

I have to agree with this. The 3 saddle bridge, while technically an inferior design, is tonally superior to the 6 saddle version. The old blackguards intontated poorly on the 3-saddle versions, because the length of the strings contacted at the same point on two saddles. However, there have been alot of advancements over the last many years. After looking closely at many aftermarket tele bridges (physically handling them), the Callaham is far and away the best. Rock solid design with 3 saddles, but angled to give proper intonation. Vintage accurate in some ways, but definetly improved. If I had to guess why the 3 saddle version sounds better, it probably be that the saddles on the 6-saddle versions are cast from zinc, which is not as dense of an alloy as brass.

For me it means you have to really know the guitar.I have tried the angled one's and really didn't like them.My main tele started life as a 6 saddle guitar and when I put it together I kinda needed that sound but never liked it.The first chance I had to change the bridge I did.Later tele's had what would appear to screws in the 3 piece saddle and they sound pretty close to the brass.You can sorta intonate the 3 saddle style but its a a trade off you split the difference.Then again I use heavy strings 12 to 56 with a wound G.The other bridge that I love is what was on the original Les Pauls,a simple uncompensated wrap-a-round.Its pretty amazing how close a 53 Les Pauls sounded like a tele hotter because of the P90's.I would love to have the money to buy a 53/54 Les Paul reissue.Having a tele and a paul would cover almost all my electric needs.I would still need my MIDI guitar.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on December 27, 2010, 04:23:08 PM
In a word Simplicity

But also:

It's the two very different sounding pickups, you have a very bright, trebly pickup at the bridge (brighter than most other guitars bridge pickups), and a rather smooth, dark, mellow pickup at the neck,  also since the bridge pickup is so bright, and the Tele's tone is so snappy because of its construction (bridge, scale, etc.), using the tone pot gives a lot of interesting and useable tones, whereas on most other guitars the tone pots can be muffled  when turning it down. 

Great explanation Joyce.  :thumb  I have really enjoyed my 52 RI Tele.
Steve ....aka the SMan

Like an AK-47. Versatile and takes a licking but keeps on ticking ... er ... picking.

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 01, 2011, 05:15:52 AM
Like an AK-47. Versatile and takes a licking but keeps on ticking ... er ... picking.

If anyone here is asking for a Larrivee Tele clone and you haven't played an RS-2 with P-90's yet, it's really got a lot of Tele vibe. No, not the same bridge, but the Larrivee RS-2 doesn't have the bridge that high up off the body - it doesn't have that steep neck angle that you often have with an arched top single cut body. And the RS-2's body is very thin - thinner than a Tele or Strat, so it's very comfortable. And tones? It can twang, swing and rock with the best of them!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Mikey I agree with you on that one to a point.I'd love to have seen it with a simple wrap-a-round bride/tailpiece combo.Not like the one on the PRS's but like the old LP Special.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on January 03, 2011, 08:45:33 PM
Mikey I agree with you on that one to a point.I'd love to have seen it with a simple wrap-a-round bride/tailpiece combo.Not like the one on the PRS's but like the old LP Special.

unclrob,

I like the RS-2 so much that I recently ordered a Warmoth all hog LPS body routed for THREE P-90's! When I got the body, I was very pleased (shocked, actually) to find it is one piece of very nice, straight grained mahogany!  Pretty amazing for a wider guitar body!

And I ordered it with a Gotoh 510 wrap around style bridge (see pic attached). When I get this guitar "in process" I'll start posting some pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Cute bridge but still has that tune-a-matic thing going for it.I guess I like overly simple stuff.Please I'd love to see it.I'm considering putting together another tele type.I'll go with the Fralin SP's,which are P90's that look like standard tele pu's but have an adjustable screw in them.I've put together a bunch with them in it just never keeped one.The store I put them together for called them 53 no-gold on top tele's.Sound just like a 53 LP.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

This thread (among other influences) put me on the path to building a partscaster.  Just when I had all the details and $$ worked out I ran across this.

2006 G&L Tribute ASAT Classic

Found it on eBay at a ridculously great price (less than half what my build was budgeted for).  G&L's have a pretty solid "rep" and a devoted following a bit akin to how we feel about our Larrys.  This Korean model is built with exceptional quality and the pups are the same as used in the American ASAT's.  As beautiful as it is, the tone is the best feature.  Great single coil sounds with virtually no dreaded "hum."

After hearing the sound and checking out the parts/wiring (outstanding pups, good quality pots/switch), I doubt I'll be doing much of anything to mod this Just too sweet as is...
2007 LV 05e
1972 Martin D35-S
2017 Cordoba Orchestra CE (nylon crossover)
2021 Alvarez AP66 ESHB Parlor
2011 Custom built Vintage "Strat"
2020 Fender Custom Telecaster FMT HH